Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Bitter, Caramel, Coffee, Maple, Sweet, Cake, Maple Syrup, Artificial, Butter, Cream, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample - I didn't want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these teas and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 902 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1922 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 773 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I am on a black tea binge this afternoon. Why, you might ask?

I worked from 5 am to 3 pm today but due to a near electrical fire/power outage we had to halt production and after waiting around for two hours we were finally sent home. You might say “YAY!!” except… we were told to “hang by your phones folks, if you can come back at midnight to finish the job, please do.” This was said in a you-don’t-have-a-choice tone.

And of course since it will be like 1 am, you might as well just start that day’s job after finishing yesterday’s. I know I legally have a choice to refuse but I don’t have another job to go to if things go south.

and so… TEA!!

About this tea all you need to know is that it positively does NOT taste like coffee cake. It tastes like cake, sure, but coffee is not in here. I don’t know what coffee cake these people at DAVIDs have been eating. This smells like Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down cake and even tastes like it. Well, some generic cake tea because it also tastes and smells like Red Velvet Cake. So, yeah.

It’s also kinda weak. Can I put Red Bull in here? :)

Christina

I don’t think that real coffee cake is supposed to take like coffee though. More like, “something sweet to eat alongside” coffee. Whenever I’ve had that kind of cake myself, I notice a lot of brown sugar crumble.

Nxtdoor

Aaah. Ok, that might explain a thing or too then :) thanks!

I like it, it’s sweet like coffee cake, very mild. I forgot I was steeping it and 10 mins later the tea was still tasty, it doesn’t become bitter or strong like other black teas. I actually ate it with coffee cake! nice match :)

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Had to wait like two hours to drink this after getting it in-store because I had them make it in a Timolino. Over all, it was pretty tasty, but reminded me of Chocolate Cake. Had a bit of a cinnamony sparkle to it, but nothing special.

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Ah, the inevitable return to steepster. You know, even though I’ve been away so long, my dashboard still feels like home. * waves hello to familiar faces *

It wasn’t really an intentional absence, although it started out that way. I decided I needed a mini hiatus, to quell my spending spree and start drinking down my collection, since I just couldn’t stand the temptation of hearing about new blends from companies I love. But that little break set the precedent for an unexpected year-long absence from one of my favourite websites. After a really tough year in many aspects, I’ve found my way back and can’t wait to talk tea with old friends and new faces.

I still have about 50 grams left of this lovely Coffee Cake tea; the girlfriend and I have been really enjoying it. Tastes like an almost exact clone of Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which I never found to taste much like pineapple anyway.

It’s a rich, fragrant blend, and the scent of the sweet caramel, butter, and baking fills my whole kitchen as soon as the water touches the dry leaf. If you make this one at work, be prepared for a horde of coworkers to show up at your desk demanding to know what you’re eating that smells so darn good.

I always hate when a tea smells incredibly potent both dry and while steeping, only to have the barest hint of that potential transfer to the actual flavour of the tea. Not the case with this guy; happily it tastes as lovely as it smells.

This is the epitome of a dessert tea in my eyes, and it would be almost sacrilege to have a cup without a healthy dose of milk and sugar :)

Fjellrev

Hey, nice to see you back! Sometimes a break is needed. :)

Indigobloom

Welcome home!! I took a break for awhile too. It was needed!

softrevolution

Glad to hear I’m not the only one ;)

Not a bad tea, but distinctly lacking in ‘oomph’ like the other reviewers have noted. It smells like cake, but I wasn’t able to taste any. Disappointed.

Coffee Cake is sweet, delicate, and delicious. It doesn’t taste exactly like a coffee cake, but it does remind me a lot of frosting which gives off a flavour of sweet coffee. The pineapple and cherry give a unique sweetness that isn’t overpowering. It’s a great treat and tastes exactly like it smells (which is wonderful).

Another emo nostalgic sipdown. My very first DAVIDsTEAs are done and dusted… I’ve probably already told this story, but I’ll tell it again, as this will be my last chance to do so now.

Three years ago my family and I started talking about having a white Christmas. Around 12mths ago we finally locked it in and decided on Quebec City (followed by NYC, because when in Rome/North America). DAVIDsTEA was at the top of my to-do list, because tea.

Five weeks out from the trip we’d been planning forever, I broke my ankle.

I went on the trip anyway because I am a masochist and also hate missing out on things, and even though my expenses would have been covered by insurance, my family sure as shit would have still gone and had a ball!

Because of the broken ankle I was pretty useless in the heavy snow of Quebec City. I got into a Davids when we went to Laurier shopping mall but the store was SO busy pre-Christmas that I was overwhelmed and got outta there.

But on Christmas Day I opened up a 12oz Timolino from my sister, and a tin each of Coffee Cake and White Chocolate Frost from my mum. And it was the best ever and I was super happy.

And now I don’t have either of those teas any more :( but all good things must end, so here’s where I leave the nostalgia behind! (Though I’ll probably hoard the tins forever now anyway, and huff them until the scents are gone, because DANG Coffee Cake smells soooooooooooo good.)

I like it but I don’t love it. Smells amazing, tastes ordinary.

After all these less then glowing reviews I’m rather apprehensive. Here goes. It smells like the red velvet cake tea( which I Adore) dry and brewed. I doubt I can love it as much though.
More of a good thing I can always handle.

Well it is a poor man’s Red Velvet Cake at best. At worst just mediocre cake inspired tea ( sorry DT!)
Can’t all be winners. there was potential but it seems uninspired and like they needed a rushed idea.
Not unlikable just not even a shade as good as some of the
other entries in the Winter collection.

Sweet! So, so sweet. Not cloyingly so, but sweet. Which I rather like. Definitely tastes like cake.

To be honest, it reminds me too much of Red Velvet Cake. It really does. I’m hardly getting any fruit undertones.