Coffee Cake

Black Tea, Cake Flavor, Cherry, Pineapple
Brown Sugar, Butter, Cake, Cherry, Coffee, Maple Syrup, Fig, Bitter, Caramel, Maple, Sweet, Artificial, Cream, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen Bailey

• “This is the first from the Winter Collection that I decided to sample – I didn’t want an herbal so that limited me to 2 choices. Side note: there are duplicate entries for all these...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, my second brewing of this is not meeting with approval. Today there was a faint coffee after taste. Bleh. I will play around with the steep times, to see what I can come up with.” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1405 tasting notes
  • “I made this in my timolino and it is the first tea I have made in the timolino since I forgot it at home in Thornhill. Unfortunately, I believe the timolino tainted the flavor of this tea. This...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2388 tasting notes
  • “So this was my unexpected birthday tea! I went over to the downtown location after my birthday dinner to pick up my first ever Nordic mug (went in for the red sweater design but walked out with the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1245 tasting notes

Take the cake

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a classic coffee cake. Just picture it. That dense, yellow cake, dotted with fruit and topped with crumbled brown sugar. And this sweet, fragrant black tea blend is every bit as satisfying. It has all the aroma of a fresh baked coffee cake, plus an energy boost from rich black tea and a fruity hint of cherry and pineapple. Now getting that fresh-from-the-bakery taste is so simple, it’s a piece of cake.

Ingredients: Black tea, cherries, pineapple, natural and artificial cake flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Not a bad tea, but distinctly lacking in ‘oomph’ like the other reviewers have noted. It smells like cake, but I wasn’t able to taste any. Disappointed.

Coffee Cake is sweet, delicate, and delicious. It doesn’t taste exactly like a coffee cake, but it does remind me a lot of frosting which gives off a flavour of sweet coffee. The pineapple and cherry give a unique sweetness that isn’t overpowering. It’s a great treat and tastes exactly like it smells (which is wonderful).

Another emo nostalgic sipdown. My very first DAVIDsTEAs are done and dusted… I’ve probably already told this story, but I’ll tell it again, as this will be my last chance to do so now.

Three years ago my family and I started talking about having a white Christmas. Around 12mths ago we finally locked it in and decided on Quebec City (followed by NYC, because when in Rome/North America). DAVIDsTEA was at the top of my to-do list, because tea.

Five weeks out from the trip we’d been planning forever, I broke my ankle.

I went on the trip anyway because I am a masochist and also hate missing out on things, and even though my expenses would have been covered by insurance, my family sure as shit would have still gone and had a ball!

Because of the broken ankle I was pretty useless in the heavy snow of Quebec City. I got into a Davids when we went to Laurier shopping mall but the store was SO busy pre-Christmas that I was overwhelmed and got outta there.

But on Christmas Day I opened up a 12oz Timolino from my sister, and a tin each of Coffee Cake and White Chocolate Frost from my mum. And it was the best ever and I was super happy.

And now I don’t have either of those teas any more :( but all good things must end, so here’s where I leave the nostalgia behind! (Though I’ll probably hoard the tins forever now anyway, and huff them until the scents are gone, because DANG Coffee Cake smells soooooooooooo good.)

I like it but I don’t love it. Smells amazing, tastes ordinary.

After all these less then glowing reviews I’m rather apprehensive. Here goes. It smells like the red velvet cake tea( which I Adore) dry and brewed. I doubt I can love it as much though.
More of a good thing I can always handle.

Well it is a poor man’s Red Velvet Cake at best. At worst just mediocre cake inspired tea ( sorry DT!)
Can’t all be winners. there was potential but it seems uninspired and like they needed a rushed idea.
Not unlikable just not even a shade as good as some of the
other entries in the Winter collection.

Sweet! So, so sweet. Not cloyingly so, but sweet. Which I rather like. Definitely tastes like cake.

To be honest, it reminds me too much of Red Velvet Cake. It really does. I’m hardly getting any fruit undertones.

I got this lovely little sample in the box that my grandma got me for Christmas (she rocks!). I love having random samples lying around so that I can break up the monotony of my tea stash with something new and intriguing every now and then.

To the nose, this one smelled very sweet, almost like pralines, but a little too ambiguous to pick out “coffee cake” if I hadn’t read the label first.

The smell of the steeped tea wasn’t quite as intense or sweet, and was borderline off-putting in a way I couldn’t really put my finger on. After a first sip, my conclusion was: “…well, I’ll finish it.” There was really no fruity taste involved, but certainly a lot of ‘cake’ flavoring. It tasted oddly familiar, when I realized that it’s the exact same flavoring that’s in their Red Velvet Cake. I wasn’t disappointed by that, because Red Velvet always seemed WAY too sickeningly sweet for my taste buds (tea shouldn’t make your teeth hurt, in my opinion). This one, on the other hand, was more subtly sweet.

This tea (the 10th tea in the 2013 Advent Calendar) has an allergy warning on it that it contains sulfites, which is isn’t exactly appetizing. I guess it’s just a food preservative, but all the same, I opted for just one cup of the Coffee Cake this morning.

The packaging says it contains black tea, along with preserved cherries, pineapple, and natural and artificial cake flavoring. When I opened this tea, it definitely smelled sugary, but it’s more of a burnt sugar creme brûlée scent than a coffee cake scent. In fact, after brewing, the sugar scent has some distinctive maple undertones, which is actually quite pleasant. I’d say the brewed scent is more akin to a stack of pancakes than a coffee cake.

While it smells like maple sugar, it doesn’t quite taste like it. The black tea is actually fairly strong in this blend, but it also has an oddly overwhelming fake butter flavor that carries a bit of a sugary aftertaste that quickly turns to a plasticky flavor. I don’t exactly find the butter flavor off-putting, but it’s not necessarily something that I will go out of my way to seek out in the future. I’m not sure I taste any pineapple or cherry in the blend, which is not surprising since there were only a few morsels in the tea to begin with.

Well, this tea definitely smells the part of coffee cake, let me tell you.

The taste… is pleasant enough? But it’s hardly there. I’ve made it as directed, with a little over 1.25tsp in my tea ball in-cup, but it tastes more like a sweet, pleasant nothingness than anything really… clear to describe.

Upon a second, longer steep, I can get a bit of a fruity aftertaste, but again it’s very faint.

In all, this tea is good, but it’s too faint to be great. It could have been more if it were stronger, and I wish they’d made it that way.

SAMPLE…tastes like cake!