Gingerbread

Rooibos Tea
Butter, Cinnamon, Cookie, Ginger, Molasses, Nutmeg, Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “A Gingerbread latte seemed like an awesome idea in theory, although in practice I made one hell of a mess in my kitchen. I don't really have "proper" latte making equipment so I microwave my milk...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1684 tasting notes
  • “Second cup of the day. I was very excited to try this tea as I love ginger and really like sugar and spice, which tastes like gingerbread to me, and I'm generally a fan of rooibos, especially green...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 886 tasting notes
  • “I had a cup of this tonight while watching World War Z - overall not a bad cup of tea. I don't get the red velvet cake that others do, instead this is just a decent ginger-ish sort of rooibos tea...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes
  • “I had one rollercoaster of a day. Barely slept last night worrying about this morning's presentation and gathering the courage to talk to my supervisor about one of my papers. Then ended up crying...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The spice of life

For the past four years, all we wanted for Christmas was a gingerbread tea. Every winter, we’ve pestered David for a spicy-sweet, festive tea. But he just couldn’t find the perfect blend…until now. And with its warm, comforting aromas of ginger, cinnamon and molasses, this rich rooibos tea totally worth the wait. It has the most nostalgic aroma you can imagine – like gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. And the taste is everything we hoped for and more. Thank you David! Now…what will we ask for next year?

Ingredients: Rooibos, green rooibos, honeybush, cinnamon, currants, ginger, pineapple, safflower petals, natural and artificial gingerbread and molasses flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

To me, this tastes a little bit more like molasses than gingerbread. I did really enjoy this tea. The rooibos base was a good choice with the honeybush. Certainly not a permanent staple, but I would maybe buy more

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I haven’t tried this one yet. Maybe next time I pop into Davidstea, I’ll get a cup.

Aimee Popovacki

I do like this one, i think the best of their winter collection.. its between this and coffee cake.. i find coffee cake a little sweet though so i don’t like it as much

This isn’t as bad as I was expecting. I quite often have issues with ginger teas. I actually like this better than some of the others I’ve tried. Having said that, I still don’t think it’s good. The flavors are just fighting each other. I’m getting ginger, cinnamon, rooibos – none of the red velvet cake that others are talking about. I’m ok with this, but again, glad it was a free sample, and I won’t be rushing out to get more.

JustJames

the only one that ever worked for me was by yogi teas and it was as hot as a third degree sunburn: no cake…. just flu fighting power. seriously, last time i had that stuff it made me sweat crazily! subtle it is not.

Dearest Gingerbread, you always make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. After having a stressful morning and trying a tea I wasn’t so big on, you are heaven to my mouth. ♥♥♥

Love, your admirer and fan
♥♥♥♥

Jen M

Really?! You like this one? lol
I was so disappointed :(

Yvonne

Oh yes, it’s one of my favourites…I had to run out and get a tin of it before it was gone. :P Sorry you didn’t like it!

Jen M

You’re a weirdo. >:-| lol
It’s tolerable. But it tastes so much like candied ginger. And I. Hate. Ginger. If I liked ginger, I would probably like it.

Oh, I won’t deny you that! I’m pretty weird. Loool
I’m a big fan of ginger, always have been. Same with ginger snaps, which is what this reminds me of. Yum yum.

Dry Leaf Nose: Gingerbread and dark molasses.

Liquor: A rich, reddish-brown colour with notes of gingerbread and molasses.

Flavour: Very true to good old fashioned gingerbread. The flavor holds well on the palate, lingering but not cloying. There is a slight buildup of the flavour as the cup is consumed with the ginger becoming more prominent.

librarykirsten

Great with a bit of milk in it. Superb as a latte.

The idea of gingerbread anything makes my mouth water…sweet spicy goodness. I was really excited when I saw this as part of the holiday collection and thought I’d never have enough of it.

The first time I tried it a few months ago, I found it wanting, so I just put it aside for more favoured tea’s. I went back to it this morning, and found the same the thing. A little weak on flavour. I did find some effects of a ginger tingle in the aftertaste, but overall…meh.

When I was at Chapter’s picking up some books, stationary and other things, I found some mulling spice by the Spice Hunter on sale. Purchased it on a whim.

After finishing my meh gingerbread tea, I thought to myself, should I try this with mulling spice? Yes! Let’s see what happens. This is what the blend was missing…mulling spice (and a bit of maple syrup)! So much tastier.

Last night, Jake and I decided to take this for a spin while he made us up some fantastic nachos. I ended up enjoying the nachos a lot more than I did this tea. It reminds me a little too much of a truly terrible pie I made a couple Thanksgivings ago… that I couldn’t get anyone to eat – bourbon molasses pecan pie. It would help if anyone we knew actually liked bourbon!

While this tea doesn’t taste like bourbon, that strong molasses is certainly coming through… after the rooibos and honeybush, that is. That pair are the dominators of this tea, only allowing the gingerbread flavors to pipe up after they have had their say.

You can read the review and see the pictures here:

I’ve been meaning to brew up another cup of this for a bit now, I wanted to finalize my thoughts on it since I’m sure that DT will pull it in the next little while now that Christmas is done.

Unfortunately, it just didn’t suit me tonight… It’s still gingerbread (well for me it would be more accurate to say that it’s a molasses cookie with a touch of ginger) but the taste just doesn’t hold up to the scent and I was looking for a bit more pizazz. I find this to be more of a subtle tea and I can’t quite get over the artificial bread/cake flavors (though I had the same issue with Red velvet so it could just be me not mixing well with the DT cake flavoring.)

I really wanted to love this tea but it wasn’t meant to be. :(

I can’t believe how much I enjoy this rooibos. I am not a huge fan of most rooibos blends, or tons of ginger, but this has such a great balance. With a bit of sugar, it tastes like a liquid gingerbread cookie. It is not a flavour I want to have every day, but I enjoy it once in a while.

Yvonne

Mmmm…one of my favourites! Enjoy :)

I ordered the Steeper just prior to Black Friday after my ingenuiTEA had an accident and this was one of the three free samples they included with my order. The flavor of the tea is a little odd, it doesn’t really taste like gingerbread to me, it reminds me more of fruitcake. The pineapple seems like an odd addition and perhaps that is what is throwing me off because I can really taste the fruity aspect to this tea. I didn’t particularly like this one, I wish the spices stood out more and the fruit less.

I tried this at David’s Tea today. It’s not bad, but not something I felt the need to buy either (even at a 40% discount, though I am a little tea shopped out after Black Friday).

It starts out nice and ginger-y, not very strong but definitely present. It reminds me more of gingerbread cookies than gingerbread proper. After a while, the flavor becomes creamier, almost like dunking a gingerbread cookie in milk. A creamy, slightly ginger-y flavor lingered for about 10 minutes after I finished the cup. I think the big issue with this one is that it tastes too artificial for me. Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.