Gingerbread

Rooibos Tea
Cake, Ginger, Spices, Honey, Maple, Butter, Cinnamon, Cookie, Molasses, Nutmeg, Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “A Gingerbread latte seemed like an awesome idea in theory, although in practice I made one hell of a mess in my kitchen. I don't really have "proper" latte making equipment so I microwave my milk...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1991 tasting notes
  • “Second cup of the day. I was very excited to try this tea as I love ginger and really like sugar and spice, which tastes like gingerbread to me, and I'm generally a fan of rooibos, especially green...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 928 tasting notes
  • “I had a cup of this tonight while watching World War Z - overall not a bad cup of tea. I don't get the red velvet cake that others do, instead this is just a decent ginger-ish sort of rooibos tea...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “I had one rollercoaster of a day. Barely slept last night worrying about this morning's presentation and gathering the courage to talk to my supervisor about one of my papers. Then ended up crying...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 814 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The spice of life

For the past four years, all we wanted for Christmas was a gingerbread tea. Every winter, we’ve pestered David for a spicy-sweet, festive tea. But he just couldn’t find the perfect blend…until now. And with its warm, comforting aromas of ginger, cinnamon and molasses, this rich rooibos tea totally worth the wait. It has the most nostalgic aroma you can imagine – like gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. And the taste is everything we hoped for and more. Thank you David! Now…what will we ask for next year?

Ingredients: Rooibos, green rooibos, honeybush, cinnamon, currants, ginger, pineapple, safflower petals, natural and artificial gingerbread and molasses flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sipdown!

Got this as a sample with one of my DT orders. I was really happy because I actually wanted to try it.

I like it. It smells lovely and tastes good too. Actually I find it quite delicious. Brown sugar and molasses, ginger and spice. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t mind having around.

Yvonne

Mmmmmm…I adore this tea :)

And done! I’m glad I tried this tea, but it really wasn’t for me. However, if I had a craving for sweetness this was my go to tea. Today was one of those days because I was stressed out from studying so much the past week. I brewed this in my timolino and went off to class. I must have needed this because I was practically chugging away while I was taking my test, or maybe tea puts me in a zen state so I can think more clearly? IDK but I’ll tell you what, audit tests are stoopid.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Firstly, why is there pineapple in this? I have never used that to make gingerbread. Anyway, it has a good spice scent. The flavour is good, but not really like what I expected from the name.

This is the most passable of the three samples I received. It really tastes nothing like Gingerbread to me. But if I completely disregard that…

sherapop

To me, these foody “tea-esque” beverages taste like neither good food nor good tea…

SFTGFOP

I guess there is a novelty factor involved? And probably a big marketing one. Nothing says the holidays like Gingerbread.

Pretty good! Not one I’d buy, but it’s one of the ones that come in the ornaments – which I love. :D

I forgot about it while it was steeping, enjoyed it a bit, and then promptly went into an art coma and didn’t emerge until it was cold. Booo!

It smells like eggnog when dry! And it’s kinda apply, despite not having apples.

Boiling 8 min or more
Cavocorax

Hint: go grab some Gingerbread Kahlua and mix it with this for a very festive season!

Ozli

oooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Day 13 of my do-it-yourself scavenger hunt advent calendar

So, I should preface my review of this tea by saying first that I DO NOT like ginger. That being said, I love gingerbread. Use that information as you wish.

When I first smelled this tea I was happy. Smells like a gingerbread cookie with a hint of…something else. Might have been the honeybush I was smelling, maybe the pineapple pieces. But “something”. Something that doesn’t belong in gingerbread. I also had some missing smells. No nutmeg, no allspice, no cloves, I didn’t even really get a good whiff of cinnamon. Not nearly as “spicy” as I would expect from an actual gingerbread.

The flavour is…not my cup of tea (pun intended). There is DEFINITELY a ginger taste to it, and since I don’t like ginger that was the first tip-off for me. The second was the honeybush. I know they were going for a molasses-type sweetener, but this one failed big-time for me. It’s weird that I really don’t like the honeybush here; I love the DT Honey Bee mate (which prominently features honeybush). I didn’t get any currant in the sample bag, and I’m not too sure what that would have added, anyway. I taste “spice-like flavour”, but I certainly don’t get cinnamon from it. Maybe I just got unlucky on that front, too, and my sample scoop didn’t have any cinnamon pieces in it.

Overall, I don’t HATE it. But since I am not a ginger fan and this is basically a ginger-rooibos tea, I don’t love it. I don’t even really like it. But if you like ginger, this tea just might be your thing. But it’s not mine.

Verdict: won’t be buying.

It was absolutely FREEZING out today and I just could not resist the urge to stop by on my way home for a nice warm cup of tea! I was in the mood for something new and decided to give this one a try. I find rooibos tea to really be hit or miss for the most part but this one was almost in between. The taste and smell definitely reminded me of gingerbread but to me, the taste was not exactly reminiscent of gingerbread. I really like the concept behind this tea and definitely enjoyed my cup though. The taste definitely reminds me of something, not gingerbread though…maybe closer to the taste of sticky toffee pudding? Anyways, I did enjoy it and would not hesitate to drink it again. I can’t say I would rush out to buy this or even be “heartbroken” if they don’t bring it back next year. I’m definitely glad I gave it a go and suggest everyone tries it at least once before it is gone!

This was the sample I had in the shop, my first taste of DavidsTea. I was a Teavana only girl until now. I tasted this without any sweetener at all and was surprised at how naturally sweet it was. I was instantly hooked, I have always needed to sweeten my Teavana teas. I haven’t tired to make this myself yet, I might add a splash of milk :)

After making this tea 3 times on 3 different days, I am finally able to enjoy a hot cuppa tea.
I am quite impressed by this tea. Up until drinking this, I have not found gingerbread teas to be impressive. This one is sweet, subtlely spicy and even has undertones of molasses.
I never thought I would enjoy a rooibos tea as much as I do enjoy this one.
Thank you to CrowKettle for sending this my way:)

(I had to get out of the house from all the studying I’ve been doing, thank goodness for my quick trip to the mall)

This tea tastes just as it smells! I find that most rooibos teas have that.. rooibos taste. They’re always the same to me so to my surprise, this one was perfect. It’s quite mild. I had this brewing for a little longer than I wanted to but it turned out, light and sweet with a touch of ginger and molasses?

I got a 30 gram bag of it, and I’m not sure if I’d run out and restock before the holidays are over but we’ll see how it goes for the next couple of weeks.