Organic North African Mint

Green Tea
Ginger, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by sjsweeney

From DAVIDsTEA

Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb. (MK Kosher)

About DAVIDsTEA View company

One of my favorite teas, the mint comes in strong, the green tea is astringent, and the follow through is the licorice root, leaving my mouth sweet, and wet. I was unable to get through going to school without a mug of this to wake up, and despite the low caffeine content, was the perfect wake up, without a crash afterwards.

Meh. Pretty average. Minty, with a bit of a spicy kick. I drank one cup and gave the rest of it away.

Flavors: Ginger, Mint

It’s okay. Light, fresh and minty. Although I must keep in mind that I do not quite like minty teas (expect for pure peppermint). Not the best.

Flavors: Mint

2013 tasting notes

Another one from Stephanie – thank you! A teaspoon and a half and WHOA that is alotta mint. It’s not as bad as I expected from the not-so-good Steepster rating. The blend itself looks like all the pieces are finely ground for some reason. It’s supposed to be hojicha, I guess, though it’s hard to tell. I couldn’t really tell which type it was by the flavor anyway… there is too much flavor from the spices. I could swear there was a sweetness from stevia or something, but that may have just been the licorice. A ton of sweetness and mint with this blend, basically.

BLECH. I tried it… but no no no. This is terrible. Couldn’t muster more than 2 sips before I poured it out. The mint sticks to your mouth in a very unappealing way and the rest of the strong spices just gives me a headache.

mj

Surprisingly, the version of this tea (and by that I mean green tea + mint blend) that I liked the best was Teavana’s Moroccan Mint. I tried DT’s North African Mint, the Teavana one, and Berber by Tay Tea.

Although I like masala chai I prefer green tea over black tea so I thought that this blend would be the perfect compromise: green tea mixed with mint and masala chai spices.

However, it doesn’t work. The green tea is really too weak to stand up against such strong spices (especially the fennel and cardamom) and the result tasted kind of thin and somehow artificially sweetened. This brew is better with some honey added, but still: if you want chai, just get the original kind.

Really loved this tea. Has a great minty flavor while keeping its grassy flavor as well. Very light and fresh.