Organic North African Mint

Green Tea
Ginger, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by sjsweeney

From DAVIDsTEA

Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb. (MK Kosher)

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Organic North African Mint by DAVIDsTEA was THE ONLY tea that I disliked the most out of the entire 24 Days of Tea.

I was going to use the word hate because that’s how much I did NOT like this tea, but hate is a pretty strong word to use in the same sentence as tea (and in general) and at the end of the day it’s still tea and I love tea.

But seriously, I thought this tea was so awful I couldn’t finish it.

The dominant flavour that kept hitting me in my face was BLACK PEPPER.

Holy cow was that pepper so strong, it entirely ruined everything.

It’s sad because I wanted to love this tea and I had really high hopes for it. It combined two types of teas I love – green and mint. In theory it should have been a magical tea but it makes me sad to say that it was really terrible.

After the shock of pepper subdued, you got a second round of spices in your face. Yes cardamon, ginger, and fennel – I’m looking at you.

This tea was also way too spicy it left my mouth burning and overall in a very uncomfortable state. Maybe I just got unlucky with the batch I got, because I couldn’t taste any green tea or peppermint. For now I have no urge to try this tea again anytime soon, as it left me kind of scarred.

One of my favorite teas, the mint comes in strong, the green tea is astringent, and the follow through is the licorice root, leaving my mouth sweet, and wet. I was unable to get through going to school without a mug of this to wake up, and despite the low caffeine content, was the perfect wake up, without a crash afterwards.

Meh. Pretty average. Minty, with a bit of a spicy kick. I drank one cup and gave the rest of it away.

Flavors: Ginger, Mint

It’s okay. Light, fresh and minty. Although I must keep in mind that I do not quite like minty teas (expect for pure peppermint). Not the best.

Flavors: Mint

2044 tasting notes

Another one from Stephanie – thank you! A teaspoon and a half and WHOA that is alotta mint. It’s not as bad as I expected from the not-so-good Steepster rating. The blend itself looks like all the pieces are finely ground for some reason. It’s supposed to be hojicha, I guess, though it’s hard to tell. I couldn’t really tell which type it was by the flavor anyway… there is too much flavor from the spices. I could swear there was a sweetness from stevia or something, but that may have just been the licorice. A ton of sweetness and mint with this blend, basically.

BLECH. I tried it… but no no no. This is terrible. Couldn’t muster more than 2 sips before I poured it out. The mint sticks to your mouth in a very unappealing way and the rest of the strong spices just gives me a headache.

mj

Surprisingly, the version of this tea (and by that I mean green tea + mint blend) that I liked the best was Teavana’s Moroccan Mint. I tried DT’s North African Mint, the Teavana one, and Berber by Tay Tea.

Although I like masala chai I prefer green tea over black tea so I thought that this blend would be the perfect compromise: green tea mixed with mint and masala chai spices.

However, it doesn’t work. The green tea is really too weak to stand up against such strong spices (especially the fennel and cardamom) and the result tasted kind of thin and somehow artificially sweetened. This brew is better with some honey added, but still: if you want chai, just get the original kind.

Really loved this tea. Has a great minty flavor while keeping its grassy flavor as well. Very light and fresh.