Golden Pu'erh (organic)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I'm a pu-erh novice - I've tried a little, but not very much. This is the first one I've ever liked, though. I wouldn't have ordered if it didn't come in a sampler pack I ordered, but I'm glad it...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “So I walked past the store today and saw that they have a $1 straight tea sale, and couldn't resist! and I'd also forgotten that I have a sample in my cupboard! I could have had the yummy assam...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1290 tasting notes
  • “This is my first time trying a pu-erh. I know the experience of a DavidsTea pu-erh will be greatly different from that of a high quality pu-erh, but I had to get my foot in the door just a little...” Read full tasting note
    noordelijk 49 tasting notes
  • “I can't help but try and defend this tea. It's a very mildly flavored pu-ehr with amazing earthy aroma nothing short of mountain soil. On tasting it you can easily taste the young roots and meadow...” Read full tasting note
    daniil 69 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

China’s wonder tonic

For more than 1,700 years, the Chinese have been drinking pu’erh – especially as a digsetif after a heavy meal. It is traditionally aged underground, and as with fine wine, the older it is, the more prized its taste. This particular tea is part of the new school of pu’erh production. Called a “cooked” (shou) pu’erh, it’s heated and fully dried to simulate aging. So unlike some pu’erhs, you don’t have to rinse the leaves before. It’s smooth, earthy and very strong, with a hint of dark honey. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Chinese pu’erh tea from Yunnan Province.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Back to drinking this for some reason! Decent.
makes the “meh, decent” face

This was the first pu’erh that I’ve tried, and while I liked the smell of the dry leaves, when I prepared it the tea smelt like a barn. It didn’t taste awful, but the smell of the tea while I was sipping it was very much a turn off. I would try another kind of pu’erh tea, but not this one again!

This tea is terrific. It tastes mildly of mushrooms and disturbed earth. A nice, accessible pu’erh for the collection.

ok it taste like dirt a bit but….With all the good things it can give… I think it’s a must. It’s also a tea that you must learn to enjoy and adding a little bit of honey etc…won’t kill you.
I drink it everynight, after supper. I had a surgery and I don’t diggest as good anymore. This tea’s the best help! Works for real!!!

Earthy, hints of fishiness, very pungent, some smokiness. Unappealing at first, a bit musty. For me it was worth trying, but not buying.

It reminds me a lot of yerba mate, but if you leave it to steep too long, it gets worse with every sip. With agave, it’s decent in small doses, but only for people who really, really like their tea super-strong.

Mmmm Golden Pu’erh. Tastes like high class cup of pure earth! So robust; gotta love it!

When I brewed this tea as indicated on the label, I found it smelled like an old musty basement and tasted like brewed rotten wood. So now I wash the leafs for about ten seconds, dump the water and then steep for 30-45 seconds. What a difference!

I tried this tea the other day with the minimum recommending steeping time of 5 minutes, and I found, more than any other loose leaf tea I’ve tried, it lacked both flavour and body. On the second attempt, I steeped for 7 minutes (the maximum recommended time) for a stronger tea, and… wow. The tea has a strong, earthy, musty smell (that honestly doesn’t entice), and a dark brown, muddy liquor. The taste? Still hardly present—I think the feeling of ‘taste’ I was experiencing was mostly through the aroma. The taste itself is highly muted, and I can taste the quality of the water more than the tea. Not so impressed.

A weird tea. One of the ladies at David’s recommended it to me as the flavour profile is what I prefer (the earthy, bark flavour). And it certainly did deliver that.

It looks revolting when you brew it…..a big mug of mud. Yummy. Didn’t mind it however.

Perhaps I will mix it with something else….like the Santa’s Secret I have.