Tie Kwan Yin (organic)

Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Nutty, Roasted, Vegetal, Floral, Sweet, Wood, Hay
Medium
Kosher, Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

5 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

A lucky tea

Many years ago, a poor farmer had a dream: the goddess of mercy, Kwan Yin, came to him and spoke of a great treasure in a nearby cave. When he went there, he found a single tea shoot. He planted it and it grew. So he gave cuttings to his neighbours, and they all prospered by creating a beautiful, flowery oolong. Our version is hand-produced on a small family garden near the Wuyi Mountains.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tastes soooo good! Smooth, flowery, no overpowering flavors or bad taste left in my mouth. It’s also a terrific resteeper.

I picked this up on the recommendation of the guy behind the counter at the David’s Tea on Mont Royal in Montreal – didn’t catch his name. He definitely didn’t steer me wrong, though. The dry leaves don’t have much smell, but as soon as you add hot water, it’s stunning. It smells like spring to me – lillacs just starting to bloom.

The flavour isn’t as strong, which is probably a good thing. It’s a somewhat delicate oolong with a very slight flowery taste to it…

I think I may have found my new favorite oolang tea!

This tea was okay, but after having the tie Kwan yin from Mandala tea it pales in comparison. Prior to brewing the dry tea was light brown and wood coloured. Once brewed, There was a slight floral scent, but predominantly roasted scent. The taste is mostly nutty/roasted and buttery, with some vegetal taste. The leaves opened up nicely on the first drinkable steep. The liquor is pale brown. Not one I would purchase again.

Flavors: Butter, Nutty, Roasted, Vegetal

7 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I really like this tea. I steeped it “gong fu” style which is multiple steeps into a mini teapot. It was interesting to see how the flavors changed with each steep. They were all delicious.

Kicking off the new year with my first cup of Tie Guan Yin. Used hotter water and shorter steep time than advised because I am impatient. Golden yellow liquid on the first steep.
Golly wow am I glad I bought a 50g bag.

Second steep // ~3 min, ~180 F – I’m getting less floral and more woody now, and a sweeter aftertaste.

Flavors: Floral, Sweet, Vegetal, Wood

i sit here with davids tea’s tie kwan yin. looking at it dry i see that it is med sized, tightly rolled, and appears to be highly oxidized. the tea looks dark, with slight greenery coming through in spots. stems are visible.

dry, it has a kind of cutting aroma, with hints of nut.. what kind i dont know, maybe raw almond. besides this i get an almost toxic smell like fresh paint.. its not enough to be off putting, but its there.

im using 5g with a 125ml vessel with the suggested temp of 85C or 185F. i am not pouring a rinse, instead ill start with a 5s infusion, then 10, then increase as needed.

1st- 5s, wet leaves have hardly opened at all as can be expected. leaves smell- to me atleast like a da hong pao, very heavy, musty, warming but slightly odd.. makes me feel like im in an antique store or grandparents basement or closet. lol.
the liquor is pretty much clear except for a slight tint of yellow. floral notes come from the aroma of the cup.
taste is weak of coarse, green and floral mix.

2nd- 10s, wet leaves are opening and kind of clumping up you could say. smell of leaves is bolder and rounder.. muskier. liquor is a nice light yellowish tan colour.
the heavy aroma of the leaves has transferred into the aroma of the cup, and is not the nice and friendly light brew anymore.
so far most of the experience is in the smelling of the tea.. the taste is not there yet, although i am getting a richer mouthfeel from this second brew. its hard to describe, the taste evokes the image of the tea.

3rd- 20s, wet leaves are slowly creeping up the vessel, smelling strong.
the liquor is a darker golden yellow- not so dark though. the heavy aroma is giving way to a more vegetal smelling cup… still creamy and buttery with less “antique” smell.
i had not detected any astringency until now.. its very minute though. vegetal, still rich mouthfeel.
… this is literally very warming (obviously.. hot water but) ive shed a layer of clothing plus socks, haha. the cutting sort of astringency thinly coats the mouth and tongue with an active feeling, similar to mint, cooling at times.

4th- 25s, leaves have opened up even more, coming up the vessel, going strong, still smelling roasted and “old people-like.”
in the cup the liquor is yellowish.
tastes a bit watery. mouthfeel stays with you for maybe a minute after drinking. this brew has been less bold and flavorful despite the smell of the leaves being strong.

im cutting the review off here.

over all, not one of my favorite teas,didnt blow me away, id rather just drink da hong pao… although that may be an awful comparison.. i don’t know, havnt drank dhp for a few months and dont completely remember the subtleties.

probably wont buy this tea again from davids tea, anyone else know of other good sources for this tea, or optimal temps?

have a good day.

-nycoma

185 °F / 85 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
nycoma

im starting to think that this tea i reviewed is not the organic tie kwan yin, because mine is looks more roasted than what the image shows…

Trying this one next to the Pouchong Oolong tea to see which one of these straight teas I prefer as they both say floral to taste.

So, this one steeped up goes a orange-ish/brown. I like the colour, but I knew there was going to be some pow to this one compared to the other.

I found this one to be definitely roasted and very strong. I actually don’t care for this one at all. There is some floral to it, but I get a lot more roastedness and I almost get a bit of… bitterness to it. I think this one would be much better with a three minute steep instead of the four that I went with. I used the exact same water as the other tea, but this one just isn’t working for me.

I like it !! More depth than what I imagined. great price for a good standard oolong. Highly recommend… very calming, earthy ..

Flavors: Roasted, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 20 OZ / 591 ML

I dont have to much to say on this. This was a very generic TGY (TKY?). It had a slightly floral flavor covered by a sweet vegetal tone. The brew carries a slightly bitter aftertaste. I noticed that this tea consisted of mostly BOP which is kinda disappointing in an oolong. This carries the price of a decent treat oolong, but the quality of an everyday oolong. My view of "chain’ tea shoppes is still consistent. I don’t go to chains unless I want artificial tea. The natural teas always fall short.

Flavors: Floral, Hay, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

I completely lost an interest in flav teas

Tealizzy

boychik – I’m almost there with you. Funny how that happens!

Haveteawilltravel

I haven’t purchased a flavored tea in well over a year….

And with this, I have tried all of the oolongs currently available at DavidsTea. LOL. This is the best plain oolong I’ve had in awhile (I may need to break out my Oolong Supreme to test that theory), and is exactly what my tastebuds were craving today. As always, I added a little bit of milk to get it a little creamier, though I’m still getting a little grassy taste.