The Spice is Right

Green Tea
Chili Pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Green Tea Leaves, Orange Peel
Cinnamon, Orange, Clove, Green, Pepper, Spices, Spicy, Citrus Zest, Cloves, Orange Zest, Anise
Low
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “So I bought 9 different teas for my sister in law from Davids - about 20g of a variety to help her figure out what she likes. I bought this one as well, and then sorta wanted it for myself, and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Today was my first visit ever to an actual David's Tea store. All of the teas I had had so far I had either stolen some from friends (hehe) or bought online. The nearest store is a 3-hour drive...” Read full tasting note
    Meliboum 73 tasting notes
  • “I tried this when I visited David's Tea yesterday. This is a tea which I have wanted to try since it first came out. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this one. I found the orange...” Read full tasting note
    MooKiwi 165 tasting notes
  • “I wasn't paying too much attention when drinking this cup, as we were playing Red Dragon Inn, but I do recall a lot of cinnamon and less orange than I was hoping for. ” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 481 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Is there any flavour combo more comforting than orange and cinnamon? There’s something about it that’s instantly comforting – like warm spice cake or a glass of hot punch. But nostalgia isn’t the only thing giving you that warm fuzzy feeling. Cinnamon is said to have warming properties, and one sip of this spice-laden green tea is all it takes to get that cozy fireside feeling going. Add some sweet orange peel and a zingy hint of chili pepper, and you’ve got a zesty blend that warms you up from the inside out.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I bought 9 different teas for my sister in law from Davids – about 20g of a variety to help her figure out what she likes. I bought this one as well, and then sorta wanted it for myself, and then compromised by taking one scoop out so I could try it and decide for myself later on if I should buy more.

It’s really refreshingly orange, and what I call, zippy. The cinnamon and chili are the most dominant flavours in this blend, and I like it. It’s been ages since I had an orange-cinnamon tea. I haven’t tried H&S’s green blend so I can’t compare it to that, but I do like the green version of this type of tea about as much as I do the black. It does taste less like artificial sweetener than the H&S black blend did, so maybe this would be worth stocking up on… (It does still taste a little like artificial sweetener though. Just not as noticeably? And it could be something in the blend that makes it taste that way without it actually being sweetener.)

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange Zest

2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Today was my first visit ever to an actual David’s Tea store. All of the teas I had had so far I had either stolen some from friends (hehe) or bought online. The nearest store is a 3-hour drive from where I live, so… Anyway today, I was very excited. I had heard a lot of good things about their costumer service and my experience today was awesome. The store was crowded and yet the nice lady was very patient and funny. I smelled so much tea ! And I bought a lot too. Oops.

This one came out today so it was one of the two teas of the day along with White Chocolate Frost. It is amazing ! I didn’t get any of the orange though, mostly just cinnamon, but a very sweet kind of cinnamon almost like those Valentine cinnamon hearts. The perfect tea for the month of February ! Warming and soothing and just yummy!

Flavors: Cinnamon

Cavocorax

I’m happy you had a great experience! They are the #1 reason that I attempted playing around with loose leaf. I was nervous and intimidated, and I feel shy walking into a store where I know nothing, but they were so friendly and disarming that it didn’t take long to get me comfortable! Even though I don’t buy as much from them now that I’ve branched out to other companies, I still think highly of them as a company.

Meliboum

I felt exactly the same yesterday ! I was nervous and intimidated, and I felt stupid for feeling like this, and it was so crowded I thought the lady would never tike the time I needed to let me decide… I was about to give up and just buy stuff online instead, but then she started asking questions and making conversation like I was the only customer in the store. I got to smell all the teas I wanted to try and more, and I ended up very happy about my teas and my customer experience. :) Plus I also had passed by the free teas of the day without trying any because it was too crowded, and when I had paid and everything she still took the time to ask me if I had tasted it or not and she gave me a sample cup. How amazing !

I tried this when I visited David’s Tea yesterday. This is a tea which I have wanted to try since it first came out. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this one. I found the orange to be very sirupy and the tea was overly sweet (I didn’t even add any type of sweetener.) The tea left a weird aftertaste in my mouth as well. I can’t see myself wanting to try this again.

Flavors: Orange Zest

I wasn’t paying too much attention when drinking this cup, as we were playing Red Dragon Inn, but I do recall a lot of cinnamon and less orange than I was hoping for.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange

Kittenna

Oooh, Red Dragon Inn! Do you do the voices when you speak the cards? :D We do, haha.

Anlina

Yeah we do them mostly in character :)

I love spicy teas most of the time, but I’ll be honest… This one might have too much cinnamon even for me! I don’t taste much orange in this, but I do get a hint of the chili peppers. It’s a very sweet and warming blend, and I like that it has a green tea base (since black bases are pretty common with spice teas). I think this might be one of those DAVIDsTEA flavors that I’ll appreciate under the right conditions—like when I’m freezing cold and need something to warm up. As it is, this tea isn’t undrinkable for me, but it’s not the type of spice blend I usually crave. (We’ll see if my opinion changes when the weather gets colder, though!)

sweetea

Pretty much exactly my feelings about this tea!

Yum. Sweet and spicy, and very reminiscent of H&S Hot Cinnamon Spice. I have to be in the mood for this one, else I’ll find the syrupy cinnamon and orange to be overkill. But as a cold weather treat, this is really nice. Very warming. I’m keeping it on hand for hibernation days.

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @85C. steeped three minutes thirty seconds, drunk bare.

As is typical with a flavoured tea blend from DavidsTea, you’re hard-pressed to taste any actual tea. The liquor is a faint golden-green; I expect the green base tea is a fairly unexciting one.

The spice blend is, well, again, typical for DavidsTea: a bit bland, and somehow hollow. The leaf and spices look a bit like something from Stash, what with cloves and orange peel in it. I’m not sure what the “natural flavourings” are supposed to be, but the tea overall gives the faintest whiff of oranges, a little tingle from the cloves (I love cloves) and an even fainter tingle from chill peppers. Chili peppers? Where? Were they just waved over this blend?

I would not call this a spicy tea at all. It seems to be missing something — a strong heart, perhaps, either a more assertive and interesting tea base, or some more burn from what what can be decently hot spices.

Meh.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Cinnamon chewing gum. Some spice burn builds, but it’s still hollow. After half a cup, I feel like I’ve been chewing stale Big Red.

Michelle Butler Hallett

And it gets sweeter and sweeter towards the bottom — I’d swear someone put syrup in this. (I didn’t — I don’t sweeten my teas.) Strange.

I love love love this tea! I love the orange/ spicy cinnomon heart-like quality. I hope they never discontinue this tea!

Went into David’s Tea today and thought I’d get the rundown on some chai teas. Ironically, I didn’t go with chai at all, but a spiced blend called The Spice is Right. (The mate chai, “chai guarana” was oh so tempting, but I’m trying to cut my caffeine). Already I’m in love with The Spice is Right: orange, chili pepper, clove, cinnamon! And no sugar or stevia. That said there is still something sweet about it, light and bright and not too earthy or leafy. I like my teas spicy and love things like extra ginger and clove or anise. This one is perfect. It’s a green tea, so I don’t feel so guilty about the caffeine level, but it has the boldness of a black or a typical chai. I do feel the chili pepper, though I have also let this tea steep the entire time I drank it because I couldn’t resist. The cinnamon is strong, as it tends to be in chais, but there are other notes to the spice. It brews up light in color and looks pretty as loose leaf with all the different shapes and colors in the mix. This is the best not-chai spice tea I’ve had from Davids Tea.

Flavors: Clove, Green, Orange, Pepper, Spices, Spicy

I’m back at home from my marketing communications class, which should be really interesting I think. I found out I got an A in my writing class and that made me happy!

Figured I would have a warm cup of something. I hope this doesn’t keep me awake since it’s green tea. But when you look in the package it is so full of cinnamon chips and other spices I figure it has 1/2 the caffeine of a normal green tea.

Looking over the reviews, this seems to be a tea that people either love or hate. It’s very strong in the cinnamon department, for sure. I know there’s supposed to be an orange element in here but I can barely taste that over the cinnamon and clove. It is very spicy and even numbs my tongue when I’m drinking it (due to the pepper, I think). I thought this was good with a bit of soymilk in it, which made it more chai like. I may try with a bit of sweetener too. Overall I liked it fairly well but it isn’t for wimps. At least it isn’t as strong as the hot cinnamon spice from Harney and Sons, which literally made me want to throw up.

Veronica

Congrats on the A in writing!

TeaBrat

Thanks… I’d love to continue with the writing classes. Maybe I will.

Greg_2tea

Congrats you DID It!! Yeah hio oh!!

TeaBrat