The Spice is Right

Green Tea
Chili Pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Green Tea Leaves, Orange Peel
Celery, Cinnamon, Orange, Anise, Sweet, Peppercorn, Spices, Sugar, Cloves, Clove, Orange Zest, Smooth, Spicy, Apple, Black Pepper, Cardamon, Ginger, Green, Pepper, Citrus Zest
Low
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “So I bought 9 different teas for my sister in law from Davids – about 20g of a variety to help her figure out what she likes. I bought this one as well, and then sorta wanted it for myself,...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1779 tasting notes
  • “Today was my first visit ever to an actual David’s Tea store. All of the teas I had had so far I had either stolen some from friends (hehe) or bought online. The nearest store is a 3-hour...” Read full tasting note
    Meliboum 73 tasting notes
  • “I tried this when I visited David’s Tea yesterday. This is a tea which I have wanted to try since it first came out. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this one. I found the...” Read full tasting note
    MooKiwi 165 tasting notes
  • “This tea came as part of a sampler I got for my birthday and honestly it’s extremely underwhelming. I don’t know why they bothered calling in a green tea when just looking at it you...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1868 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Is there any flavour combo more comforting than orange and cinnamon? There’s something about it that’s instantly comforting – like warm spice cake or a glass of hot punch. But nostalgia isn’t the only thing giving you that warm fuzzy feeling. Cinnamon is said to have warming properties, and one sip of this spice-laden green tea is all it takes to get that cozy fireside feeling going. Add some sweet orange peel and a zingy hint of chili pepper, and you’ve got a zesty blend that warms you up from the inside out.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I bought 9 different teas for my sister in law from Davids – about 20g of a variety to help her figure out what she likes. I bought this one as well, and then sorta wanted it for myself, and then compromised by taking one scoop out so I could try it and decide for myself later on if I should buy more.

It’s really refreshingly orange, and what I call, zippy. The cinnamon and chili are the most dominant flavours in this blend, and I like it. It’s been ages since I had an orange-cinnamon tea. I haven’t tried H&S’s green blend so I can’t compare it to that, but I do like the green version of this type of tea about as much as I do the black. It does taste less like artificial sweetener than the H&S black blend did, so maybe this would be worth stocking up on… (It does still taste a little like artificial sweetener though. Just not as noticeably? And it could be something in the blend that makes it taste that way without it actually being sweetener.)

Flavors: Cinnamon, Orange Zest

2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Today was my first visit ever to an actual David’s Tea store. All of the teas I had had so far I had either stolen some from friends (hehe) or bought online. The nearest store is a 3-hour drive from where I live, so… Anyway today, I was very excited. I had heard a lot of good things about their costumer service and my experience today was awesome. The store was crowded and yet the nice lady was very patient and funny. I smelled so much tea ! And I bought a lot too. Oops.

This one came out today so it was one of the two teas of the day along with White Chocolate Frost. It is amazing ! I didn’t get any of the orange though, mostly just cinnamon, but a very sweet kind of cinnamon almost like those Valentine cinnamon hearts. The perfect tea for the month of February ! Warming and soothing and just yummy!

Flavors: Cinnamon

Cavocorax

I’m happy you had a great experience! They are the #1 reason that I attempted playing around with loose leaf. I was nervous and intimidated, and I feel shy walking into a store where I know nothing, but they were so friendly and disarming that it didn’t take long to get me comfortable! Even though I don’t buy as much from them now that I’ve branched out to other companies, I still think highly of them as a company.

Meliboum

I felt exactly the same yesterday ! I was nervous and intimidated, and I felt stupid for feeling like this, and it was so crowded I thought the lady would never tike the time I needed to let me decide… I was about to give up and just buy stuff online instead, but then she started asking questions and making conversation like I was the only customer in the store. I got to smell all the teas I wanted to try and more, and I ended up very happy about my teas and my customer experience. :) Plus I also had passed by the free teas of the day without trying any because it was too crowded, and when I had paid and everything she still took the time to ask me if I had tasted it or not and she gave me a sample cup. How amazing !

I tried this when I visited David’s Tea yesterday. This is a tea which I have wanted to try since it first came out. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this one. I found the orange to be very sirupy and the tea was overly sweet (I didn’t even add any type of sweetener.) The tea left a weird aftertaste in my mouth as well. I can’t see myself wanting to try this again.

Flavors: Orange Zest

This tea came as part of a sampler I got for my birthday and honestly it’s extremely underwhelming. I don’t know why they bothered calling in a green tea when just looking at it you can see that it’s 90% cinnamon chips with a few sad little tea leaves hiding among them. It tastes like cinnamon bark tea and not much else. Meh.

#ProjectTeaWall

So I worked it out the other day, and there are just over 50 different teas currently on the tea wall that I haven’t tried. Overall, I’ve tried over 200 of DT’s various offerings – but product knowledge on those blends doesn’t do me much good when most of them aren’t sold anymore. So, I’m starting #ProjectTeaWall – the goal of which is to try every single tea currently on the tea wall that I haven’t yet. Yes, even the ones that I’ve avoided because I typically hate the ingredients in them. Which, it turns out, is like 80% of the teas I haven’t tried.

So we’re starting with this one: I stopped in store today to get some samples to begin with the project and while I was there I also caved and got the rosy pink “gold dipped” Nordic because even though I don’t have space for it with the staff discount that wasn’t a good enough excuse not to get it.

I asked one of our associates to recommend a good green tea for an iced latte. Unsurprisingly, the category of tea that I have the most untried teas in is the Green Tea section. There are nineteen blends in total from that section I need to tick off. After his first recommendation was a tea I’ve tried (Ceremonial Matcha) this was the one we settled on. When I was going through the Tea Wall trying to figure out what I hadn’t tried yet I was actually surprised this was one I hadn’t tried: but I guess I never got around to it ’cause when it was released Hot Lips was also still on the wall, and I was stocking that one at the time. The two were pretty similar, and so this is one I just never got to.

Gotta say, as an iced latte I do think I like this better than I liked Hot Lips so maybe that was a bit of a missed opportunity overall in waiting to try it for so long. The reason I like this one better is very obvious to me though: Hot Lips was primarily cinnamon and this is primarily clove. Good, sweet clove! For anyone who doesn’t know this about me yet; I don’t like spiced teas very much ‘cause I can really only handle spices like cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, etc. in SMALL amounts and generally on their own. Clove is the exception to that; I fucking ADORE cloves. In fact, I’ve been known to pick cloves out of tea leaf and just suck on the cloves for a few hours.

So other than that really wonderful clove note, this does have cinnamon among other spice elements. I couldn’t taste the chili pepper but I got cinnamon undertones. It reminded me a little of cinnamon candy hearts, and that was likely because in combination to the cinnamon notes this had a really sweet finish. Kind of like honey? If I didn’t know better I’d say that the associate had added agave to this but I literally saw him write the no sweetener identifier on the cup, and watched him make it; there was no added sweetener. This just has a really sweet finish, I guess. I’d say that overall that’s the element of the tea I like the least: I wish it was less sweet/cloying overall. Those spice notes/elements taste just fine without the honey like finish. Still, happy I finally crossed this one off the list! It wasn’t as scary as I thought it’d be, for a spiced tea.

Friendly reminder that I am currently not numerically rating teas because I’m seasonally employed for DAVIDsTEA and that would be a conflict of interest.

Cavocorax

I do like this one but I agree that it’s too sweet! I love having more orange/clove/cinnamon teas out there so I end up getting this one more than I probably normally want to otherwise.

A2ShedsJackson / MrsPremise

As a fellow clove fan, I’m glad you went out on a limb and tried this one. I love spicy teas and this was one of my favorites from Davids Tea. I do wish they didn’t put stevia or sweeteners in everything, but this was still super tasty. I always mix up which one of their teas has chili peppers in it… Sweet Heat? Or is it this one?

Roswell Strange

@A2ShedsJackson

This is the one with chili; Sweet Ginger Heat has pepper corns in it. And, the latter is also the one with the stevia in it.

A2ShedsJackson / MrsPremise

Clearly, I have them all mixed up! Then yes, Spice is Right is one of the better spicy teas I’ve tried from DavidsTea. Thanks for setting me straight.

When the green tea and spices decide to dissociate from each other and pretend they’re not living in the same cupiverse we all pay the price, especially my tongue.

I think this all initially stems from DT’s belief that lots of cinnamon is all it takes to make a good spice tea. Seriously.

They also discount the role green tea plays when it’s thrown in with strong ingredients like citrus and cinnamon:

“Is there any flavour combo more comforting than orange and cinnamon?” Oh, don’t get me started.

Flavors: Celery, Cinnamon, Orange

Evol Ving Ness

Yeah, DT’s cinnamon obsession is just one more reason that I am not as regular there as I used to be.

Kristal

Their cinnamon teas are just too powerful in my opinion :/

I accidentally purchased four ounces of this tea instead of my intended two, and I can’t express how happy I am for it.
It smells like Fireball candies, and tastes that way too, minus the burning tongue. The cinnamon is just perfect. Overall, it’s warm with a touch of sweetness. I’ll likely be nursing this all fall and winter.

Flavors: Cinnamon

2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

How can you read the name of this tea and not have the theme song of the Price is Right stuck in your head?

This tea sounded promising but didn’t live up to its hype for me. With cinnamon, green tea, orange peels, cloves, and chili peppers, you’d think it would be a feel good tea with enough spice that keeps you warm and tingly inside. In reality, it felt like I was drinking liquid cinnamon hearts. It was waaayyyy too spicy for me. I am not a fan of overly spicy teas so I did not enjoy this one.

I wanted to like this tea but unfortunately the spice was not right for me.

I’ve never actually met someone who likes cinnamon hearts, I don’t know how those things are around they’re like … bleh but here this tea is in my cupboard (I didn’t buy it, people’ve got me sampler things from dt and this was in 2 of them) and it tastes exactly like cinnamon hearts which I think is just a terrible idea. The spice is not right :l

EDIT: Wait, sorry, this has a green tea base? W.. okay then I didn’t even notice. I don’t see any green leaves, all of them are black so I just assumed they had a black base.. Not that it matters, the cinnamon heartiness is way too over-powering anyways

This tea is pretty good. I don’t freak over it but will finish my tin. Leaves my tongue tingling a bit-reminds me of cinnamon hearts.