Grape Expectations

Natural Flavours, Organic Cornflower, Organic Full Leaf Green Tea, Raisins
Fruity, Grapes, Grass, Hay, Sugar
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I first tried steeping this tea hot and I wasn't impressed. This time I cold steeped it and it is much better! I get a wheatgrass tang from this at times and a really strong flavor that sometimes...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 473 tasting notes
  • “Hooray, one of the teas that inspired my swap with *VariaTEA* went into a cold brew last night—only for around 3hrs. That was almost too long... darn sencha. Maybe I just overleafed. Still good,...” Read full tasting note
    memily 724 tasting notes
  • “This was actually the only tea from the Spring line that I tried. I love it. I'm generally less of a fan of green teas because I find they are grassy and irritate my throat, but this one is just...” Read full tasting note
    B-Dot 41 tasting notes
  • “What a lovely smell. Almost matches the flavor. Speaking of flavor I did not like this hot. The sencha overpowered everything. But as it cooled off the grape came out nicely. ” Read full tasting note
    skysamurai 281 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The grape escape
We’ve fallen hard for this fresh, tangy, grape-filled blend. In fact, it’s David’s new favourite flavoured tea. Why does he love it so much? There’s just something so luxurious about it. With green tea perfumed with Muscat and concord grapes, it’s a drink fit for royalty. Just brewing a cup makes you feel like you’re floating on some fabulous yacht in the Mediterranean or along the French Riviera. Try it iced in champagne flutes for the full effect. Something tells us we’re into something grape. Limited edition.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Oh god. Something went fifty shades of wrong with this tea, and I imagine it was me, because what I brewed up could not have been enjoyable to anyone, not even one of those pretentious people who insist they like something that is highly improbable. But omg. So, so gross.

The dry leaf smells exactly like the smelly grape markers we used to play with as children. I wanted so much for that to transfer into the taste, but alas that was not to be. I couldn’t resist putting a touch of cream in the cup before starting, although perhaps that’s what ruined it? anyway, I brewed it for three minutes, and it was very bitter and tasted as though i was drinking liquid grass. A bit of rock sugar didn’t help, either. What am I doing wrong? how could something that smells this good taste this bad? I could not finish my cup—most of it went down the drain. I need to revisit it tomorrow, I think.

Uggh.

Kat_Maria

Fifty shades of wrong, LOL!

Haha it really was!

Tealizzy

How hot was the water? Greens usually require the coolest water temperature, and I’ve found DavidsTea’s package directions can be a little high on that front. I’d try a 2-minute steep at maybe 140-170?

keychange

Ok, I’m going to try it with really cool water and an extra-short steep time. Thanks!

I`m don`t dislike this one.. it`s not bad… but i do find that i like grape oolong from butiki better.. its less artificial tasting, and i find the oolong pairs better.. this green tastes a little like an oolong, but its missing that smoothness, and comes across as a little harsh.

I had this as a to-go cup today while at the mall and I loved it! The tea smells very sweet and fruity when dry and I was worried it would overpower the green tea- the two however worked harmoniously and worked to balance the tea. When steeped, the grape smell comes off mildly and beautifully. The bitterness of the green tea comes through in both the taste and smell of the tea. I was really happy with the fact that the flavouring was mild enough that the tea still came through as I am a big fan of green tea (I love the sour/bitter taste). The grape taste comes through at the end of the sip along with floral notes and is very smooth. I will be picking up some of this before it goes away!

Drinking a big mason jar of this iced right now. It’s definitely good and quite refreshing. While it has the kool-aid smell, it does not have that over the top artificial taste. I can still taste the green tea through this. They strike a nice balance together. Grape is not my favorite though, so I’m not itching to put in an order for this.

Not bad! You can definitely taste the grape with a green tea aftertaste. I don’t find that it has a chemical taste like others have said. Its nice and refreshing!

Flavors: Grapes, Grass

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I agree with previous estimates – this does taste more like an oolong. Like an oolong soaked in grape kool-aid. In the best possible way, it’s really good. I drank about half the cup hot, and it was more oolong-y. The grape became much more prominent as it cooled.

Now it’s my turn to give Grape Expectations a whirl! This is most definitely an artificial grape that you find in pop or popsicles, but like Cavo, I like that. This is splitting hairs, but perhaps because this isn’t carbonated, it reminds me of grape popsicles more than anything else. I’d imagine that making tea popsicles with this would be awesome.

OH! Imagine a tea slushie? That would be pretty cool.

Additionally, I appreciate that the base is light. I’m normally not a fan of grassy senchas, or any grassy/vegetal greens. I’m sure I let the water cool even below the recommended temperature, so whatever I did worked. Maybe I let it cool in the pot for like fifteen minutes or so.

Next up will be a cold brew. Let’s hope it’ll be just as good, if not better. As long as the base behaves.

Lastly, 700th post!

3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Stephanie

Sounds like it might make a good tea soda!

keychange

Woohoo on 700…and I can’t wait to try this one!

__Morgana__

Congrats on 700!

OMGsrsly

Woo! 700! :)

tigress_al

Woot woot 700!

Anna

I find myself very impressed by your 700.

Arg. This tea is so good…when done right. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking at Davids when I got this to go. My wife was envious of my carry travel mug, so we stopped in to get one for her, as well as pick up three replacement infusers that somehow got lost in the move. Anyway, as I’ve always understood it in Davids store, when you buy a travel mug, the first fill is free. We have 2 timolinos, a carry travel mug, a kid’s spill-proof mug, a bodum travel press and three of the iced tea specials. And every other time, we’ve gotten a free cuppa. So today I asked for iced Grape Expectations, because the wifey didn’t want anything, and when the girl went to ring us up, she said she forgot to charge us for the tea to go. Ah….no? Am I wrong? Is the first cup not free? We had already started the debit transaction, so she let it go, which is good, because if I had paid for this, I would have demanded a refund.

So they open the new travel mug and offer to run it through the dishwasher. I appreciate the thought, but the mugs are handwash only (something they should know) and that would heat the metal inside, which would not at all help keep my iced tea iced. I declined and asked them to just rinse it. Then came the weird part. They must have filled the infuser with leaves, filled the mug with ice and then hot water, and then put the infuser and top on the mug.

Um…no?

I asked if it had agave in it and she said no, even though I had asked for agave. So she opened it back up and that’s when I saw the leaves. As I was trying to figure out why the leaves were there, she proceeded to put four pumps of agave in the mug, going for a fifth when I stopped her. I asked for “a fair bit” of agave, but that’s excessive.

I stepped out and immediately dumped out the leaves. My wife offered to go back in with the infuser and lid to ask them to rinse it out and I agreed. She came back and now there were a fair number of leaves on top of the lid, the part you drink out of. When I took a sip, I had cold agave water with the barest hint of grape.

So…yeah. This is not the right way to make this tea, I don’t recommend it XD.

Lynxiebrat

Yeesh. You’d think a tea shop would train their employees the proper way to make a cup.

aisling of tea

I know, right? I was so unbelievably irritated.

Cavocorax

That’s so annoying! :|

keychange

How annoying to have your first tea in the new shiny carry mug be such a disaster! by the way, i got a carry mug too and I love it so so so much.

aisling of tea

I love my carry mug and use it every day, it’s amazing for keeping my cold teas cold. De and I both have a timolino and a carry travel mug, but let me tell you, I’m addicted! If they come out with pretty colors for the summer line, I’m boned XD

This doesn’t disappoint!
It’s grape! And yes, it’s that fake grape you get with pop or cough medicine, but you know what? I LIKE that grape.

I think 4 minutes is starting to push it as this tastes a little bitter. Maybe 3.5 would have been perfect? This is still good though, don’t get me wrong. I can taste the sencha, but it’s not super strong. I’m ok with that.

Again, I’ll rate this later after I come down from my new-tea excitement!

Fjellrev

You know what? I like that grape too. I’m totally trying this next. :)

Sami Kelsh

Fake grape! I love that grape!

keychange

Love fake grape too! was it too tart, did you find?

JC

LOL, I just love the way you described it.

Cavocorax

I didn’t find it too tart – it just just slightly tart – enough to make that grape flavour pop more?

Anna

Fake grape is scary to me, because it’s a flavour that didn’t EXIST in my life until I came to the US – suddenly, there was this whole new flavour, a NEW FLAVOUR I’d never seen before. And it was everywhere!

(Much like nothing is EVER pear flavoured in Italy, whereas in Sweden everything is… and the other way around with cherry.)

Steeped 1.5 perfect spoonfuls for approx. 4 minutes in a mason jar (boiling). Left overnight to cool. Added ice and two healthy squirts of agave.

Yum yum yum. Watching a movie with my students this morning, and I look forward to sitting back and enjoying this while we watch.

The grape flavor was very hard to find until I added the agave, which totally brought the grape forward. It’s a light, green grape taste – not at all similar to the purple kool-aid smell it has in the dry leaf. This is another one I need to stock up on for the summer break.

Flavors: Grapes