Chocolate Macaroon

Almond, Chocolate, Coconut, Creamy, Nutty, Nuts, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by AJ

• “Yay free tea!! A friend gave me the rest of his sample. He doesn't like coconut... I'm not sure why he bought it, maybe just to see if DT could change his mind :) In any case, there are moments...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1292 tasting notes
  • “When I found out that DAVIDsTEA combined two of my favourite ingredients in the world, coconut and chocolate, I was so excited to try this tea. The aroma of this tea is absolute bliss, it just...” Read full tasting note
    hiphopfrog105 24 tasting notes
  • “this is one from *variaTEA* - now i'm not typically a fan of coconut or david's teas but i like trying things, so i'm always going to be like woohoo! new tea! especially in small quantities. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes
  • “Steeping tea while cooking dinner usually isn't a good idea for me because I tend to forget about the tea. This time I went out to my garden and when I came back I looked at it and was like... well...” Read full tasting note
    skysamurai 248 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

There’s nothing more nostalgic than a coconut macaroon. We’re not talking about the super-trendy French cookies here…for us, it’s all about the bake sale classic: chewy, golden coconut cookies dipped in rich dark chocolate. And with black tea, toasted coconut, cacao nibs, pecans and rock sugar, this rich, nutty blend is just as good as the real thing. The only difference? You don’t have to wait for a bake sale to get a taste.

Ingredients: Black tea, toasted coconut, coconut, pecans, cacao nibs, rock cane sugar, natural flavouring.
Contains pecans and coconut.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Yay free tea!! A friend gave me the rest of his sample. He doesn’t like coconut… I’m not sure why he bought it, maybe just to see if DT could change his mind :)
In any case, there are moments where I get some serious coconut macaroon mojo in my sip! I’m impressed, they managed to get the essence down pretty well.
But then, for the most part this is your average coconut black tea. Only sweeter.
The other odd thing is that I find my cuppa pretty smooth, with the occasional twinge of itchy throat.
Anyhow, this gets an overall ho hum from me. Not bad, but not great. Then again, I judge any tea with coconut in it pretty harshly so I’ll stick to the higher end of the rating I’m thinking about here. Fleeting moments of spot on taste gets you only mediocre points!

When I found out that DAVIDsTEA combined two of my favourite ingredients in the world, coconut and chocolate, I was so excited to try this tea. The aroma of this tea is absolute bliss, it just smelt so amazing I can’t even begin to describe. Just like my experience with Toasted Walnut, the first time I brewed this tea it tasted absolutely amazing. However, the second time I made this tea, it tasted so artificial and way too sweet for my liking.

Flavors: Almond, Chocolate, Coconut, Creamy, Nutty

this is one from variaTEA – now i’m not typically a fan of coconut or david’s teas but i like trying things, so i’m always going to be like woohoo! new tea! especially in small quantities. this one isn’t terrible if you can ignore the oily film on the surface of the tea. I can actually taste the chocolate, which i have had trouble with in the past with david’s tea..and the coconut isn’t overpowering. it blends fairly nicely with the other ingredient to give it that coconut macaroon sort of taste. thanks VariaTEA!

Steeping tea while cooking dinner usually isn’t a good idea for me because I tend to forget about the tea. This time I went out to my garden and when I came back I looked at it and was like… well shoot. BUT! It wasn’t ruined! Huzzah. Yay for teas that get sweeter as they steep. (Like Indigo Tea Co’s Red Hot Cinnamon). I actually had to steep it for a couple minutes after that because I thought it was too light. IT’s good hot and cold. Not my favorite chocolate tea I will admit but it is still quite good.

165 °F / 73 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp

I am a sucker for any chocolate tea. This one was very sweet with the added sugar in it. But I didn’t really mind because I needed a treat. The pecans with the coconut and chocolate make an interesting combination. I might even restock this one, I will have to see.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hey tea companies, no putting sweeteners in your blends! I bought this in the store because it smelled amazing. I didn’t realize the blend already has sugar in it. Way too much sugar. Substantially more sugar than I would have added to the mug myself. Somewhere under all that sugar there’s the taste of macaroon and maybe chocolate if I really seek for it. Mostly I’m tasting sugar. It’s NOT what I want from a flavored tea. It sort of feels like they’re cheating, actually. Using the sugar to cover up some kind of weakness in the underlying blend. I had high hopes for this tea, but I just can’t get past the cloying sweetness.

Recommending that I try your tea with sugar: OK.
Including a lot of sweetener in the blend itself: NOT OK.

TheTeaFairy

I support everything you just wrote. Let people add their own sweetener!!!

Cavocorax

Yes! I agree too!

I go to this tea when I have my chocolate cravings and it helps.
Such a good tea, delish!

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut

Yay, coconut! It’s the closest to SoHo Blend I could get locally. I had a Harney cart filled out but then I was reminded of the $15 shipping… I knew about the fee as I ordered before but I guess when you see it written down there at the TOTAL it’s kinda, well, jarring. :)

But this came to me courtesy of the lovely salesperson at the Church St. DAVIDs Tea, Toronto. I went with a long list and told her I had a budget and kinda didn’t want to go over, asked her to keep an eye on the total. We went $2 over, which I was ok with, but it meant I had to abandon the sample of chocolate macaroon I was going to add to my list. And you know what she did, totally gave me 16 grams free of charge. She said she knew I really wanted to try it and so she gave me some. How’s that for customer service? :)

I like the tea also but I agree it is thin tasting. I also knew it was sweet and only added a pinch of sugar (it’s gotta be psychological at this point, what’s a pinch of sugar to a 8 oz cup?, I should just leave it out).

The first few sips were very much coconut, yummy coconut, reminded me quite a bit of the SoHo blend in that respect. I then made the mistake of adding almond coconut milk because I wanted it creamier. Unfortunately now all I can taste is my almond milk. Maybe because this is so thin tasting, it can’t take much addition and still maintain its own flavour.

I have enough for another cup and I will likely buy more but I have to figure out what to mix it with for stronger base — don’t have many str8 black teas in house — I don’t want to just use more because it would become too expensive that way.

Christina

You know, it’s always nice to hear about other Torontonians buying tea. It always gives me a litle jolt of recognition when I see a familiar street name or location. :-)

TheTeaFairy

What an awesome customer service story :-)

Nxtdoor

@christina totally get it. I feel the same.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 205 degrees, 5 minutes, French Press

Dry Leaf Aroma: Chocolate with a hint of coconut

Flavor: I get some chocolate, but no coconut. The flavor is weak at a 5 min steep. Instructions were 4-7 minutes, so it might be better at 6 or 7 min. I have enough for one cup remaining, so I’ll give that a try and update as needed.

I actually liked this better when it was cool to room temp. The flavor seemed a little more vivid. Maybe this would be good cold!

I really like this tea, but you do have to let it steep for about 7 minutes or maybe even a little longer. It is currently one of my favourites.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Nuts