Shooting Starfruit

Apple, Jackfruit, Mango, Natural Flavours, Papaya, Starfruit, White Tea
Apple Skins, Fruity, Mango, Sweet, Tangy, Tart, Vegetal, Apple
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “I purchased this tea last summer when I was pretty new to tea and I only tried it once. Coming back to it this year, with my greater knowledge and experience with tea, I prepared it iced and it was...” Read full tasting note
    tanyasew 32 tasting notes
  • “I didn’t have high hopes for this tea. It’s a white tea, after all, and I tend to shy away from white and green teas because the flavors are usually quite muted and light. I steeped a...” Read full tasting note
    apieceofquiche 64 tasting notes
  • “I can tell just from looking inside the pouch that there’s not much actual tea in this blend, so calling it a white tea may be a bit of a stretch. I have a love of all things jackfruit...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1729 tasting notes
  • “Finally trying this one. It’s so good! Only let it steep for about 3 minutes, which is good ‘cause I think anymore might have been too much. The tea is sweet and fruity. I am getting...” Read full tasting note
    TheKesser 433 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

We’re always on the lookout for cool new ingredients from around the world. And in this seriously exotic blend, we’ve included two tasty fruits we’ve never featured before. First up is the star fruit, a pretty yellow treat in the shape of a star – with a delicate, refreshing taste like a pear or apple. Then there’s the mighty jackfruit, a Thai and Vietnamese delicacy with a distinctively sweet smell and a taste somewhere between a mango and a banana. Our only question is…why did it take us so long?

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I purchased this tea last summer when I was pretty new to tea and I only tried it once. Coming back to it this year, with my greater knowledge and experience with tea, I prepared it iced and it was pretty good! I was a bit surprised! It reminds of Cool Cactus, at least the iced versions of each tea. As many previous reviewers have said, it is has a light taste (no surprise there for a white tea) but it is also fruity and sweet, so it makes a nice iced tea. There is also a slight tartness there that makes for a more complex flavour. I would definitely pick up some more if it were re-released. Very refreshing as an iced tea!

I didn’t have high hopes for this tea. It’s a white tea, after all, and I tend to shy away from white and green teas because the flavors are usually quite muted and light. I steeped a bit this evening to enjoy over ice. The flavor was light (as expected) but fruity and sweet. There was a slight bitter aftertaste I’m hoping this tea makes a reappearance this summer. I’d like to buy some to cold steep.

I can tell just from looking inside the pouch that there’s not much actual tea in this blend, so calling it a white tea may be a bit of a stretch. I have a love of all things jackfruit – I tried it for the first time when I was in Belize in’08 and have loved it ever since. Unfortunately it’s next to impossible to find here in my little British-Columbian town. Much to my joy I can actually taste it in this tea, along with the crisper flavour of starfruit. There’s something that’s just so juicy and fresh about this tea that makes me love it. I bet it’s a great tea to drink iced.

Finally trying this one. It’s so good! Only let it steep for about 3 minutes, which is good ‘cause I think anymore might have been too much. The tea is sweet and fruity. I am getting the papaya, apple and mango. I don’t know what starfruit tastes like, but if it’s one of the flavours I’m getting, then I’m happy. Such a lovely tea. I’m really glad I got some of this one to try. Now I’m going to enjoy the rest of it for sure.

I’m thinking Imight try to make an iced white tea… haven’t done it before… can’t be much different than a herbal right? This one would be very good cold I think.

I bought this one a while back on sale and have only just gotten to taste it. whoops. Anyways, it’s a nice white tea, very fruity considering it’s not very strong. Maybe I should have used more, but it’s still pretty nice! Nothing special, but I would definitely have another cup.

Aaaaaand, backlog from not so long ago, i.e. two days. I still maintain that it’s tasty and fruity, as well as quite refreshing. It would probably be quite good iced – I ended up drinking it cold in my travel mug, as it was toted around all day while I drank other teas. Still really can’t pick out the flavours, which is a bit annoying, but it’s nice that there’s nothing objectionable in here.

Putting together a package for albertocanfly reminded me to try this one again. Opening the package I’m reminded of why I bought it – it smells absolutely amazing. Sweet and just bursting with tropical fruit fragrances. I would wear perfume that smelled like this.

Steeped, the liquor is a clear golden colour and smells almost as strong as the dry leaf, with a vegetal note that makes it even more fresh and summery, like freshly cut stems.

At 5 minutes it’s a little weak. A couple extra minutes helps it along. The sip itself is a little bland – I want it stronger and to not have that hot water taste, and there’s a hint of a metallic flavour that might be the tea or might be my water. However, the finish is fantastic. Long and fruity, there’s notes of star fruit and apple skins, maybe some mango too. A touch sweet and a touch tart. There’s some vegetal tanginess on the finish that comes and goes pretty quick, but the fruit flavours stick around for a nice, long time.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a tea that I wanted to hurry up and swallow so I could get to the finish, but that’s where this one really shines. That and the fragrance, my god!

Thankfully, the more it cools, the more the whole sip improves. Cold is probably the way to go with this one.

Edit: OMG. I ate the steeped leaf instead of throwing it in the trash. Best decision ever. It’s like a beautiful fruit salad dessert.

Flavors: Apple Skins, Fruity, Mango, Sweet, Tangy, Tart, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

I received a bit of this tea in a swap. It was my first tea from Davids and I am not disappointed. The taste was obviously very fruity, and I could identify the unique jackfruit/starfruit taste despite it being my first time with that flavor. The tea has a small bit of natural sweetness, but not enough for my tastes so I end up adding some sugar to my cups. I had to be careful not to oversteep this tea even a little bit, because the one time i did it tasted pretty undrinkable. This was a good intro for me to Davidstea and I look foward to trying more from them soon.

Mmm, this is so different from every other tea in my cupboard. I think I have only had star fruit once, and I did enjoy it. This tea reminds me of that vaguely, but it’s hard to tell because it was so long ago.
I cold brewed this for a little over 8 hours. It was delicious!

From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB

I took mj’s advice and cold brewed this one. It’s thick, syrupy, sweet, and super fruity. There is just a touch of bitterness at the end of the sip, but I think that’s my fault because I let it cold steep for too long (almost 24 hours!). This is a great summer tea. Makes me wish I was back at the beach with a glass of this in my hand listening to the waves.

Iced
mj

I usually only cold steep this one in the 10-15 hour range if I remember correctly, so that might help with the bitterness :). I don’t remember getting any bitterness at all

Veronica

Honestly, I was expecting it to be undrinkable after steeping for so long, but it was only slightly bitter right at the end of the sip. Guess I lucked out. I can see how a 10 hour cold steep would be great for this tea though.

I need to set alarms for myself when I cold steep teas. I always forget them!

mj

I just forgot one for two days but I lucked out and it was not bitter at all!