Shooting Starfruit

Apple, Jackfruit, Mango, Natural Flavours, Papaya, Starfruit, White Tea
Fruity, Mango, Apple, Sweet
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “I received a bit of this tea in a swap. It was my first tea from Davids and I am not disappointed. The taste was obviously very fruity, and I could identify the unique jackfruit/starfruit taste...” Read full tasting note
    zackseufert 14 tasting notes
  • “Mmm, this is so different from every other tea in my cupboard. I think I have only had star fruit once, and I did enjoy it. This tea reminds me of that vaguely, but it's hard to tell because it...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes
  • “From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB I took mj’s advice and cold brewed this one. It’s thick, syrupy, sweet, and super fruity. There is just a touch of bitterness at the end of the sip, but I think...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 729 tasting notes
  • “Dry, this smells like super-fruity candy. Cold brewing for a day results in..... juice!! The liquid is the palest yellow and I don't taste any tea at all. Actually I just looked at my bag, and...” Read full tasting note
    vc 37 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

We’re always on the lookout for cool new ingredients from around the world. And in this seriously exotic blend, we’ve included two tasty fruits we’ve never featured before. First up is the star fruit, a pretty yellow treat in the shape of a star – with a delicate, refreshing taste like a pear or apple. Then there’s the mighty jackfruit, a Thai and Vietnamese delicacy with a distinctively sweet smell and a taste somewhere between a mango and a banana. Our only question is…why did it take us so long?

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I received a bit of this tea in a swap. It was my first tea from Davids and I am not disappointed. The taste was obviously very fruity, and I could identify the unique jackfruit/starfruit taste despite it being my first time with that flavor. The tea has a small bit of natural sweetness, but not enough for my tastes so I end up adding some sugar to my cups. I had to be careful not to oversteep this tea even a little bit, because the one time i did it tasted pretty undrinkable. This was a good intro for me to Davidstea and I look foward to trying more from them soon.

Mmm, this is so different from every other tea in my cupboard. I think I have only had star fruit once, and I did enjoy it. This tea reminds me of that vaguely, but it’s hard to tell because it was so long ago.
I cold brewed this for a little over 8 hours. It was delicious!

From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB

I took mj’s advice and cold brewed this one. It’s thick, syrupy, sweet, and super fruity. There is just a touch of bitterness at the end of the sip, but I think that’s my fault because I let it cold steep for too long (almost 24 hours!). This is a great summer tea. Makes me wish I was back at the beach with a glass of this in my hand listening to the waves.

Iced
mj

I usually only cold steep this one in the 10-15 hour range if I remember correctly, so that might help with the bitterness :). I don’t remember getting any bitterness at all

Veronica

Honestly, I was expecting it to be undrinkable after steeping for so long, but it was only slightly bitter right at the end of the sip. Guess I lucked out. I can see how a 10 hour cold steep would be great for this tea though.

I need to set alarms for myself when I cold steep teas. I always forget them!

mj

I just forgot one for two days but I lucked out and it was not bitter at all!

Dry, this smells like super-fruity candy. Cold brewing for a day results in….. juice!! The liquid is the palest yellow and I don’t taste any tea at all.

Actually I just looked at my bag, and all the tea seems to have settled to the bottom. So maybe I’m just drinking an infusion of dried fruit right now haha. Reminder to self: shake before scooping next time :P

I’ve always been a huge fan of both starfruit and jackfruit, but I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when I heard about the two fruits being infused into a white tea (I guess you could say I’m biased, just because I’m not that much of a white tea fan… But then again we all have our likes and dislikes right?) Anyways, I was completely wrong about this tea and I take back all my judgements! This tastes absolutely amazing ICED, so good. Not so sure about its’ taste in a hot brew (considering it was released as a part of DAVIDsTEA’s Summer Collection for the sake of Iced teas) but I will definitely give an update once I do try it. The bitter after taste that white tea is known for is not as prominent in this blend, but it is definitely existent (not much of a bother at all).

Iced

Backlog from yesterday.

Sample sipdown!

I bought a 1-oz packet of this about a month ago and made it in my iced tea pitcher today. Others have mentioned how there isn’t a lot of white tea in the blend, but I guess I’m an outlier since I noticed a lot of broken up white tea leaves in my packet, and less dry fruit than I expected.

I’ve never tasted starfruit or jackfruit before, so I’m not sure if the tea tastes true to either of those flavours. But this a really interesting flavour profile – the immediate taste and aftertaste is of fruit and white tea, but there’s a long, lingering aftertaste that has a very green, grassy note mixed in with brown sugar.

I’m not quite as won over by this blend as others have been. I think of this year’s summer flavours from DT, my two favourites are Watermelon Mint (which was so pleasantly surprising because normally I hate watermelon-flavoured things aside from real watermelon) and Mango Fruit Punch.

This tea smelled completely amazing! The taste was almost what the smell led me to believe it would be, but not quite. I’ll be honest, I have no idea what a star fruit or a jack fruit tastes like so I can’t tell you if this tea is true to the flavors it claims. However, I can tell you that this tea is light, fruity, tropical, and very refreshing. It’s a great summer tea IMHO! I might try to cold brew the leftover leaf. Thanks for sharing, Virginia!

Edit: This is MAGICAL cold brewed. Trust me and just go ahead an cold brew this if you have some.

Flavors: Fruity, Mango

Cameron B.

I love starfruit! It tastes like a mixture of apple and green grape to me, with a little bit of its own special flavor. No idea on the jackfruit. :P

mj

Intriguing! I’ll have to pick up a starfruit if I see one at the store :-)

Cold brewed this one for about two days. Yum!!!

Has a bit of fakey taste in the background but I can ignore that. I don’t even need sugar with this one so it’s perfect for the summer. I might NEED to order more. I can tell this 250g is going to go fast.

If you’re looking to cool off and re-hydrate, this is the perfect tea. It has a very light tea body and is only the slightest bit sweet. It tastes mostly like starfruit, but also has a blend of some other fruits.

The white tea base is great in many ways. It is a very hydrating tea, so that is perfect for those hot summer days. It also has a light flavor of its own, so it does not take over the light fruitiness of the tea, but rather, complements it.

This is the final tea I tried of the DT summer collection, no Mango fruit punch this year as I tried it last year, oh and I tried Watermelon Mint this afternoon but didn’t pay enough attention to write a tasting note yet lol ( I was reading a good book haha), and I made this one tonight. It smells SO TROPICAL in the bag. Like, sooo good and juicy and fresh!

I steeped this for 4 mins with 185 degree water. In the scoop I put in the mug, it looked like there was actually quite a lot of white tea, although it was all chopped into bits and not much whole leaf at all. The tea smells tropical and mango/starfruit like when brewed, quite a delicious scent actually! As for the flavor, there definitely is white tea in my cup, it has that characteristic mild bitterness of a DavidsTea white tea base in a blend, probably because it was brewed for 4 minutes, in my opinion a long time to brew a white tea. But other than that, it’s juicy and sweet and tastes like starfruit with mango! Quite tasty, although I need to tweak my parameters to get rid of that bitter flavor from the white tea, maybe I’ll steep 2-3 minutes next time. Another one that I bet is awesome cold!