Earl Grey Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Bergamot, Cornflower Petals, Rooibos, Tangerine
Bergamot, Citrusy, Floral, Orange Zest, Rose, Sweet, Cinnamon, Honey, Lemon, Mint, Candy, Orange, Earth, Flowers, Tobacco
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Caffeine Free
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Maureen
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 356 ml

• “This tea is seriously tasty! It is best with milk and some vanilla sugar in my opinion, but then again, I’m in love with London Fogs. I think the bergamot oil is stronger in this blend than...” Read full tasting note
    arbutus 365 tasting notes
  • “Really thrilled over this tea, but not because of the taste. Let’s talk chemistry! Especially since I’m quite literally procrastinating going over my orgo while writing this. I’m...” Read full tasting note
    drpastry 12 tasting notes
  • “This tastes pretty terrible on its own. It’s a little better with milk, but nevertheless leaves this weird aftertaste that clings to my tongue. Like an artificial orange candy. I was hoping...” Read full tasting note
    Sirentian 88 tasting notes
  • “I love Earl Grey and I am not a huge fan of Rooibos. In the end, it’s a good blend, but I’ve found I like the Vanilla Rooibos much more – so that will be my go-to evening tea…” Read full tasting note
    pokee 36 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Sometimes when that midnight craving hits, nothing will do but a nice cup of Earl Grey. So when our customers asked us for a decaffeinated version, we happily obliged. We came up with a light and fruity blend of red rooibos with oil of bergamot and tangerine, great on its own or with a splash of milk and sugar. It’s naturally caffeine-free and packed with tons of amazing health perks. So now you can enjoy a tea party any time you want, night or day.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tea is seriously tasty! It is best with milk and some vanilla sugar in my opinion, but then again, I’m in love with London Fogs. I think the bergamot oil is stronger in this blend than almost all Earl greys I’ve tried. the rooibos is a great base because it never gets astringent or bitter like black teas. The rooibos actually adds some sweetness with goes well with the citrus. One of the things I noticed is that it steeps very dark, about the same colour as the tea leaves themselves. The aroma is a bit floral, hinting at rose

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrusy, Floral, Orange Zest, Rose, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

I’m an earl grey lover through and through and had never had a rooibos when I visited DAVIDs last fall and mentioned this in passing to the girl behind the counter. I was there for blacks and herbals, and hearing of my love of the earl, she hit me up to try it with the rooibos twist for my late night cravings. I’ll try anything once, and it’s a beautiful tea, but it wasn’t hard to figure out why I had drunk around this when found in my cupboard this morning for my next sip-down.

I opened the bag. What is that? Mint? With earl? Ugh. The dry scent, for me, is off-putting and certainly does not give off that lemon-cloud-rainy-sky feel that I’ve come to appreciate in an earl. Which made me consider: what is rooibos? Is this the scent of a rooibos? Is this what I can expect it to taste like?

A quick office hour with Professor Wikipedia and I see what we’re working with. A familiar word highlighted in the “you-have-clicked-here” purple flagged me down, and we’re off. Cinnamic acid is found in the leaves and stems of the rooibos legume, most familiarly found today in cinnamon, has a honey-like odor (check!) and is one of two major flavor components of cinnamon. I’ve spent the past two weeks working with acids—including this very one—turning them about into esters on paper and look forward to attempting one in lab, so this is a happy fun chemical coincidence that I didn’t expect.

I love cinnamon—cook with it nearly every week—but I’m not certain this flavor profile pairs well with earl grey. Many tea companies and drinkers seem to feel otherwise, and that’s great. I will say that the mint-like scent turns to give more of a cinnamon flavor once brewed and that I found this much more sippable than the dry had me expecting it to be. I sipped this along with a little whole milk and sugar, as prescribed on the package, which I think likely helped it along for me in the taste department.

I’m ordering a few more rooibos this week from Bluebird Tea Co. via tea-sipper (thanks again for doing this!) and looking forward to see how rooibos fares without treading on my beloved Earl.

Flavors: Bergamot, Cinnamon, Honey, Lemon, Mint

6 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I was hoping I could find some good non-caffeinated teas for night sipping at DAVIDsTEA but it’s not really working out so far. All their flavoured teas need to be rinsed –– maybe rinsed twice. Sticking with Lupicia and Alice’s Tea Cup from now on.

Flavors: Bergamot, Candy, Orange

Not bad. Its nice for those who love earl grey but want to cut down on caffeine.

Flavors: Bergamot

I love Earl Grey blends, but oddly didn’t enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. It was still good, mind you, but there was a hint of… something in my cup that just tasted a little off. Maybe it was the rooibos (lord knows I have an up and down relationship with that). I wish they weren’t discontinuing the decaf earl grey, as I like that blend much better – I think true Earl’s are meant to be of the black tea family.

I am in love. It’s perfect. It has beautiful citrus notes. It’s good hot or cold. It doesn’t need honey or milk, but it wouldn’t mind them either. It tells me I’m pretty. What’s not to like? Total dreamboat.
On a serious note, this blend is very well balanced between tea base and additives. The bergamont is not overpowering in the way I typically find it in Earl Grey’s. The tangerine oil they use is also a nice touch. I needed more close-to-classic rooibos blends in my life, and this one just appeared when I most needed it. The blue cornflowers accent the rooibos by lending only the slightest hint of a floral note.

Flavors: Earth, Flowers, Orange Zest, Tobacco

Virginia

If you are a fan of rooibos, I have good quantities of David’s Tea’s Cinnamon chai, Oh Canada, Pink Lemonade, Creme Brulee and Birthday cake that I could send you. PM me if you are interested :)

Virginia

Thought I would mention that I am giving them away without expecting anything in return ;)

Maureen

Thank you for the offer, but I actually work for David’s so I’ve got a hefty supply myself. ;P I love the creme brulee! It’s one of my favorite rooibos teas from them.

Yeah I realized that after I made the offer xD Sorry