Oolong Supreme

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Plums, Raisins, Nutty, Nuts, Butter, Creamy, Earth, Fruity, Honey, Stonefruits, Sweet, Umami, Toasty, Floral, Bamboo, Roasted, Wood, Toasted Rice, Mineral
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

This super-rare, highly sought after tea comes from one of the most famous holy places in China: Mount Wudang, known for its ancestral temples, its world-renowned martial arts – and of course, for its seriously next level tea. And this twisted leaf Dan Cong oolong is no exception. With notes of ripe plum and shea butter, plus a unique hint of roastiness, it’s lightly nutty, surprisingly complex and totally refreshing. Because, hey. It’s not just any oolong. It’s supreme.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A nice, quite dark oolong. Undoubtedly overpriced, but good oolong nonetheless. The leaves are dark like a black tea, and the taste is almost as strong. The dry leaves are loosely rolled curly strands.
The taste is fruity, earthy (but clean), and balanced. Prominent flavors of dried plum and raisin, fruity but not sweet. An touch of toasted grain. A slight bitterness to balance things out.
The texture is clean and smooth, low astringency.

Flavors: Plums, Raisins

Decided to explore oolongs since I’ve never given it a chance before. This was one of the three I started with. I made it the traditional way in a gaiwan, pouring out the first quick steep and continuing from there. The first drinkable infusion at 30 sec had a nice nutty taste, golden in the cup. The second steep was a tad sweeter. I’m not sure how many steps I’ll have with this or what other flavours I’ll notice, but so far I’m intrigued.

Flavors: Nutty

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I’m not good at picking out flavour notes and hints in teas. When I drink this I don’t taste plum or shea butter, I do however taste a particularly good oolong. It has a lightness to it, lacking any sort of bitterness, grassyness or earthyness. It’s refreshing and a little sweet. It’s very similar to an oolong that my boss brought back from China, which is great because I was wondering where on earth I would find more of that without an english name to go on, but this is a fine substitute. Bonus: I bought it with my FS points!

Omg this tea is so good! It is really nutty and almost reminds me of geinmatcha. It is a very relaxing tea and I am really looking forward to buying it. I see myself doing yoga while drinking this :)

Flavors: Nuts, Nutty

I was pleasantly surprised by this, I’m not a huge Oolong drinker, but this one is really nice and smooth. It’s not at all bitter or overly “earthy” like some of the other Oolongs I have tried. I do get a plum flavour and it’s got a sort of buttery / creamy sweetness to it, but not in an overpowering or sugary way. I love this one, will restock.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Plums

Decided to purchase this tea after reading about it on their website. When I got to Davids Tea I wanted to smell it to see if it really did smell like ripe plum as the description said. I didn’t really get that note until I got home and opened the bag. It smelt really fruity and when brewed there were hints of stonefruit, plum, and nuttiness.

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Honey, Plums, Stonefruits, Sweet, Umami

After the last three weeks that I’ve had, I don’t care how messy the house is, I don’t care that the dishes need to be done, I don’t care what needs to be put away… I’m stopping and trying to do my second ever gong fu steeping. Three weeks ago, I had my first ever kidney stone, then a bladder infection because of it, then a head cold. Also in the time, my husband’s grandfather’s lady friend (Girlfriend I guess?) went into hospital for health concerns. While she was there, husband’s grandpa had a stroke and is in there too. She doesn’t know he’s there though as they don’t want to stress her out. Also, my own brother fell off a ladder at his house where he was doing roof repair and broke his femur really bad. They had to get an ambulance to the hospital where they were transfered to a different one a half hour away. Now thankfully he’s already moving as they did emergency surgery, but it was very scarey for a bit.
That’s all on top of the fact that my own gramma had hip surgery mid-october and my father-in-law had knee surgery just before that. Thankfully they are both doing so good.

So anyways, I need to stop and do something that I really love and drink some tea! My munchkin is exhausted after his first ever playgroup this morning so now is the perfect time.

Off I go.

I’ve done a few steeps already and so far my main flavour that I get is roastiness. and some nutty as well. Third steep in I’m getting just the faintest amount of sweetness in the back of my cheeks.

I definitely understand why one would want to use a small gaiwan for a single person doing this as I’m having a hard time finishing each steep as it seems to be a lot of tea for one person. Also, I’m not very good at timing each steep, which is something I need to watch as a few times I have over steeped a bit because the tea is almost too strong or too roasted for my liking. I’m having a moment right now where I’m suddenly realizing how much this is reminding me of Nepal Black from davidstea. It just has a few qualities that are similar, which will have to be one of the next gaiwan sessions I try.

I thought by now the leaves would be completely opened up but they aren’t I’m not sure sure if I’m not steeping long enough or what, but i’m on steep… 5-7 (can’t remember..) and they are still pretty tight.

Alright, I’m going to wrap this up for now. I’m mostly getting roasted with a hint of nuts. If I get anything else I will add to this note, otherwise that’s my general thoughts of this tea. and everything else that’s going on.

Kristal

Ohhhh my goodness…you enjoy that tea. You deserve it.

TheKesser

:) Thanks!
Yeah it’s been a tough last bit. I’m just praying things go up from here. I’m sure they will.

Kristal

I pray so as well for you!

TheKesser

Thanks :)

Evol Ving Ness

Goodness! May all the outcomes be positive ones for you and yours.

ashmanra

Oh my! When it rains, it pours. Definitely saying some prayers for things looking up and up and up!

gmathis

Wow! That’s definitely a deluge! Rest, breathe!

Mmm, this is a lovely oolong. I’m sometimes a bit wary of the darker ones as they can be a bit too charcoal-y for my tastes, but rather than a deeply roasted flavor it’s more of a light toastiness. Nice, rich plummy stonefruit flavor as promised, though it fades a bit in the second steep and is pretty much gone by the third. Works well in a mug western-style (1.25 tsp for 8 oz water), but I’m sure it’s great in a gaiwan too.

Bought some of this from Tea Pet in a stash sale without realizing I already had some. Oops. At least it’s one that I know I like :)

Flavors: Plums, Stonefruits, Toasty

This is my favourite oolong of all time, and I’ve tried a lot of them. I wrote an in-depth review of this tea on my blog Don’t Worry, Tea Happy, but I’d love to add my 2 cents here. It has a gorgeous complex flavour that transforms in your mouth from buttery to fruity and back again. I’ve reused this tea more than 5 times with good results, and my favourite tea to blend this tea with is peach infusions (if you’re into blending teas, that is). That said, it’s beautiful all on its own without any help.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Plums