Oolong Supreme

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Plums, Raisins, Nutty, Nuts, Butter, Creamy, Earth, Fruity, Honey, Stonefruits, Sweet, Umami, Toasty, Floral, Bamboo, Roasted, Wood, Toasted Rice, Mineral
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

This super-rare, highly sought after tea comes from one of the most famous holy places in China: Mount Wudang, known for its ancestral temples, its world-renowned martial arts – and of course, for its seriously next level tea. And this twisted leaf Dan Cong oolong is no exception. With notes of ripe plum and shea butter, plus a unique hint of roastiness, it’s lightly nutty, surprisingly complex and totally refreshing. Because, hey. It’s not just any oolong. It’s supreme.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I got this tea with my frequent steeper points. Wow. Now that I know how good this is I will probably buy it even if I do not have any rewards to cash in.

That one is my absolute fave. I’ve had it with my Favorite Steeper points and it’s definitely worth its price. It’s more close to a black tea than a green one, even though the leaves are definitely greener than dark once steeped, and its mineral, spicy taste is delicious. Interesting fact to notice, at first it was not that good, then with time ( 2 to 3 months in my cupboard ) it only got better and better and the fruity, ripe plum aroma is definitely there when you open the tin. I love everything about this tea.

I will continue reviewing this tea over time.

The first thing you notice are how black the twisted leaves are. Actually, after you brew this tea, view it in direct sunlight. You will notice how surprisingly green this tea actually looks among the darker colours.

I chose to do multiple steelings of this tea, with a time of 1 minute in between. I used the same shot glass to make and drink the tea, keeping the tea in a small bowl. Each shot glass got 1 tea spoon of sugar, roughly.

You’re going to get a warm flavour, but at this leaf level it’s no where near as assertive as say a plummy Assam. The brew is a golden. I’m up to 7 or 8 steepings to far.

I will post photos as well.

Unbrewed Leaf:

Brewed Leaf:

4 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Rasseru

I just noticed you linked to this oolong Instagram in your review above about a different tea :)

A nice, quite dark oolong. Undoubtedly overpriced, but good oolong nonetheless. The leaves are dark like a black tea, and the taste is almost as strong. The dry leaves are loosely rolled curly strands.
The taste is fruity, earthy (but clean), and balanced. Prominent flavors of dried plum and raisin, fruity but not sweet. An touch of toasted grain. A slight bitterness to balance things out.
The texture is clean and smooth, low astringency.

Flavors: Plums, Raisins

MrQuackers

This tea is properly priced.

Decided to explore oolongs since I’ve never given it a chance before. This was one of the three I started with. I made it the traditional way in a gaiwan, pouring out the first quick steep and continuing from there. The first drinkable infusion at 30 sec had a nice nutty taste, golden in the cup. The second steep was a tad sweeter. I’m not sure how many steps I’ll have with this or what other flavours I’ll notice, but so far I’m intrigued.

Flavors: Nutty

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I’m not good at picking out flavour notes and hints in teas. When I drink this I don’t taste plum or shea butter, I do however taste a particularly good oolong. It has a lightness to it, lacking any sort of bitterness, grassyness or earthyness. It’s refreshing and a little sweet. It’s very similar to an oolong that my boss brought back from China, which is great because I was wondering where on earth I would find more of that without an english name to go on, but this is a fine substitute. Bonus: I bought it with my FS points!

Omg this tea is so good! It is really nutty and almost reminds me of geinmatcha. It is a very relaxing tea and I am really looking forward to buying it. I see myself doing yoga while drinking this :)

Flavors: Nuts, Nutty

I was pleasantly surprised by this, I’m not a huge Oolong drinker, but this one is really nice and smooth. It’s not at all bitter or overly “earthy” like some of the other Oolongs I have tried. I do get a plum flavour and it’s got a sort of buttery / creamy sweetness to it, but not in an overpowering or sugary way. I love this one, will restock.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Plums

Decided to purchase this tea after reading about it on their website. When I got to Davids Tea I wanted to smell it to see if it really did smell like ripe plum as the description said. I didn’t really get that note until I got home and opened the bag. It smelt really fruity and when brewed there were hints of stonefruit, plum, and nuttiness.

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Honey, Plums, Stonefruits, Sweet, Umami