Pouchong Oolong

Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

After years of searching, we’ve finally found the ultimate Pouchong Oolong. So what makes it so special? The natural floral aroma, with each leaf rolled in a signature style to preserve the fragrant tea oils. It’s grown in the Wenshan area of Taiwan, known for its beautiful landscape, clean water and fertile soil. The tea estate sits on a high hill overlooking a fresh, pure reservoir. And the difference comes through in the cup: fresh, complex and vegetal, with hints of ripe fruit and pine. Trust us – it was worth the wait.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The wet leaves are almost like a mild milk oolong and the leaves are a lovely bright green. At first, the taste has less going for it than the odor, but as it has cooled, it has taken on more distinctive oolong-ness: vegetal and also a bit fishy. It’s not knocking my socks off – the second infusion is a bit less so than the first. For this first time out, I followed David’s suggestion of 1 ¼ tsp in 8 oz at 185. I think next time I’ll try it in the gaiwan and see if that gives it more oomph.

Flavors: Fishy, Vegetal

Sipdown! 987. Tasty pouchong, nice and vegetal and buttery, and lasts for a good number of infusions.

Indigobloom

Was this one of those uber expensive ones? I don’t remember seeing it on the shelf last time

Kittenna

It’s possible. I don’t honestly pay much attention to prices since I’m just getting tiny bits, usually.

Yeh I do the same thing. Unless I fall in love with it like I did lala lemon

Kittenna

That’s a cheap one though, IIRC!

Indigobloom

yah compared to the premium ones it is super cheap lol

Mmm not gonna rate this one because its not up my alley at all. I don’t find it particularly floral or plum like at all… Instead I am getting mushroom and almost…. Idk. Its like I’m eating meat, like beef, the way it tastes as it touches my upper palate??? its just not a very refreshing taste. I dunno. Its weird. Not my thing.

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @85C, steeped four minutes thirty seconds.

Pine and plum notes for sure, though the pine is stronger. A note I dislike in tea: I don’t know if this is called ‘vegetal’ or what, but there’s a a taste and scene that reminds me of scallops. I’ve detected it in some green and white teas, and I don’t care for it — well, not in tea. Scallops on my plate is another matter. Some shea butter notes in the aftertaste.

Flavors: Bok Choy, Broth, Fish Broth, Mushrooms, Pine, Plums

TeaBrat

Fish broth? ewww

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah. I’ve not tried to make a second cup. I don’t want scallops in my oolong. Add a pinch of salt to this tea and you’re halfway to soup. Not for me.

Enjoying this cold-brewed, today

With a bit of a Summer cold because of the sudden change in the weather it was great to have two new Oolong teas to try. Of the two the lighter plum notes of this one was very therapeutic to the senses and made it nice to drink during the recovery period. It helped to give a needed boost of energy for the times I wasn’t resting in bed. I would recommend this to anyone who was after a refreshing and healing tea.

Dry Leaf Nose: Plum aroma.

Liquor: Green-gold and clear with a fine floral aroma, laced with notes of ripe plum and pine.

Flavour: Excellent, fresh flavour with extreme floral notes up front. Followed by plum, ripe fruit, a fresh hint of pine, and a bit of a vegetal component. Very complex. Lingers on the palate leaving an excellent ‘oolong glow.’