First Flush Darjeeling

Edit tea info Last updated by yyz

• “Backlogging. 1.5tsp for 300mL water #100C, and another batch @95C. Undrinkable. Maybe I have a bad batch. All I taste is twigs and earth and something faintly vegetal. Nothing about this tea...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 519 tasting notes
  • “I got this in store when I picked up some tins in store the other day. This tea is sourced from Chamong Estate in darjeeling. For those who are curious here's a link to the Estates website and a...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 391 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

We’ve found some of the very best Darjeeling of the season and rushed it to the stores-so you can taste it right off the bush. It’s fresh and nutty, with hints of spring vegetables and mountain air.

Source: first flush darjeeling tea from Chamong Estate,India.

1 1/4 TSP per 240ml/ 2-4 min in 85°C water

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Backlogging.

1.5tsp for 300mL water #100C, and another batch @95C.

Undrinkable. Maybe I have a bad batch. All I taste is twigs and earth and something faintly vegetal. Nothing about this tea suggests it is a Darjeeling. The liquor is murky, especially distressing for a first flush. I could finish neither cup.

yyz

Maybe, I find the straight teas at Davids to be hit and miss at one of the stores near me they always taste stale. Whereas at the other they have always seemed fresher and tastier.

I got this in store when I picked up some tins in store the other day.

This tea is sourced from Chamong Estate in darjeeling. For those who are curious here’s a link to the Estates website and a picture.

The tea itself is one of the nicer straight teas I’ve had from David’s.

The leaf is decidedly towards the green range and smells of flowers, hay and cream. When brewed the tea was a sepia tinged saffron yellow.

Flavour wise it lies between the hay and acidity of some white teas, the sweet vegetal and nutty notes of some greens, the floral spice of some Oolong’s, and the muscatel, malt and cocoa notes of black teas. It makes a nice light almalgamation of these flavours.

3min. Scent:Cream, hay, faint hint of floral gardenia, peas, fruit.

Flavour: Muscatel softened by cream, plum, hay, spice, clover and dames rocket. Light upper tones of malt and a very faint hint of cocoa, hint of peas. Hint of chestnut.
Snap peas, cream.

Resteep 4 min. Flavour: stronger muscatel, and nutty notes with increasing astringency.

I’m glad I picked some up to try!

boychik

This sounds very interesting. If only I had Davids around here. Another month to wait :( I have free tea to redeem. Maybe it’s the one?

TheTeaFairy

That’s interesting, thanks for reviewing. I bought a lot of teaware from them lately and I now have 100g of free tea to redeem as well from their reward program. Since I’m not interested in their flavoured tea, I knew I was getting Oolong Supreme and Gyokuro Yamashiro. Might as well get their most expensive stuff! But being the Darjeeling fan that I am, I might reconsider…