Secret Weapon

White Tea
Almonds, Blue Cornflowers, Cocoa Nibs, Goji Berries, Licorice Root, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Orange Peel, White Tea
Nuts
Low
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

Looking for a tea that’ll give you the edge you need to succeed? Try this delicious blend. It’s got white tea, the favourite drink of Chinese emperors, plus goji berries, a legendary superfood. Add in licorice, almonds and cocoa nibs, and you’ve got yourself a winning combination. It’s an amazingly tasty weapon of choice.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Oh man do I love this tea! I find it needs to steep longer than instructed, but then, I like really strong tea and white’s are usually on the thin side..
ALMONDS YAY. oh man. just so good.
(i made this as a latte tonight using skim milk. YUM.)

200 °F / 93 °C

First of all, I love the scent. You can totally smell those almonds, yum. They’re the strongest flavor note as well, which is fine by me. I’m just happy the licorice root didn’t present a strong flavor, which I was worried about — NOT a fan of licorice in tea. The packaging recommends steeping for 4-5 minutes, and I’d recommend the lower end of that spectrum. I went for 5 and it’s just a touch too bitter.

This tea is litterally my diet at the moment. Upon smelling it’s content you will be tempted to eat it, but don’t. It tastes just like it smells, it’s that nice. Think ‘’white tea meets almond dessert’’.

I was surprised at how much this tea smelled like roasted almonds and only a little fruit. Also, the licorice listed on the ingredients list is completely undetectable.

I’m surprised I like this one, but it’s definitely growing on me. I didn’t steep it long enough the first time and it tasted a little watery, but the nuts were quite prominent but not overpowering as I’d expected. There was also some lovely undernotes of fruit and a clean white tea flavour. The second time was much better, a fuller taste this time, the nuts were quite prominent again, but the other flavours were nicely balanced this time and it was actually quite a good tasting tea.

I’m hoping this one continues to grow on me, but for now, I’d say that I quite like it

One of my favourite teas of all time. The taste is indescribable! Also, this tea just LOOKS awesome. There is nothing quite like the almond punch infused into this tea. I sometimes grow tired of other teas, but never of this one; I keep it as a special treat, and every time I come back to it, I remember how much I love it. I also like how it tastes exactly how it smells, so if you like the smell, you will fall under the tea’s spell as well.

Boiling 8 min or more

This was my pick on my tea date.

It’s one I’d never tried before prior; and I decided to go with an iced cup for my first time having it. I think, for pathetic and nostalgic reasons, I put off trying this for a while because all I could think about when I saw it was that, back on my last day in Regina before moving, I went shopping at DT with a very, very close friend at the time named Kevin. He took me out to basically do whatever I wanted for my last day in the city; and when we went to DT I asked him which tea sounded the coolest to him and this is the one he picked. I didn’t try it though because at the time it wasn’t something that appealed to me flavourwise.

Long story short; after I moved we not only failed to keep in touch but there was an awkward incident where something he had told me in confidence about another friend we worked with (this was when I was working at the movie theatre) was spread around the theatre. And worst of all, the ‘rumour’ turned out to be completely untrue. I wasn’t the one who had started telling people or spreading it; in fact I never told anyone but I was the one blamed for it. Who started telling people I was the one who was passing this information along? My ‘good friend Kevin’. I still don’t know how it started (probably from him) but he falsely pinned it on me because I wasn’t in town to defend myself anymore.

There’s also some history there with people thinking I was into him and believing that that last day trip thing was meant to be a date; which it definitely wasn’t. I never saw him that way despite what people think – but I think it freaked him out, and he just started ignoring me and eventually I stopped trying to keep in touch.

But that’s the long way around basically saying that trying this tea brought bittersweet memories back. But not anymore; I’m so over that petty bullshit!

Flavourwise this was a lot lighter than I was anticipating. Even for a white tea, the flavours are really soft and subtle. I’m wondering if, perhaps, the associate who made this for me forgot to brew it up stronger because it’s iced. I suppose I’ll never know though.

Primarily this one has a lot of coconut and hay notes; coconut from the add ins and hay from the base tea. I could also just barely taste the licorice which was nice; it was a touch of sweetness that, even though this was so light, did help round out the flavour at least a little. I didn’t really taste the nuts in the blend or the orange which surprised me a little bit and though I half expected, I couldn’t taste the goji at all either.

I’m going to have to see if I can find a tisane that’s just goji to try as a control. I honestly think that some part of my ‘taste receptors’ or what have you just don’t register the flavour of goji, at all – like, ever.

I let Face Eater have the last couple of sips – he said all he could taste was water. That didn’t surprise me though; and it that reason in particular I stayed away from white and green teas when building his “DAVIDsTEA’s Worst Hits” sampler pack; too subtly flavoured for a novice palate. Worst he’d do it probably burn the leaves and get a bitter cup.

Overall, I really desperately wish this had been more flavourful because it seemed quite promising – I half thing it was improperly prepared, and I half think it was just the tea itself. What I did taste was nice though; very soft and relaxing. I picture this something to very casually sip on during spring or summer. Like, if you were taking a walk in the park or something, instead of drinking straight water you’d drink this and feel quenched.

I do want to try this again; but with me preparing it. Next time in store I’ll definitely have to pick up a small sample to bring home with me.

Had some of this chilled – it was great!

Final cup tonight shared with a friend. Yum. This doesn’t make me quite as insane as ArgoTea’s snowflake white tea did but there’s still that reminder hanging around.

Nutty good warming brew.

A tea friend at work is expecting and can no longer drink this because “something in it induces labour”, she says. Maybe the licorice root, I am too lazy and too uninterested to actually search this out. It’s her body and her baby and totally her call. Because she has quite a bit left and cannot drink it she offered it to me. I took 2-cups worth of leaf and gave her back the rest because soon the baby will be here and she will no doubt regret parting with what she says is a favourite.

I can’t see why this would be anyone’s favourite though. I have never tried this before but I looked it up and saw gojiberries and orange as featured ingredients on DAVIDs site. The sample is full of almonds. Dry leaf smells like almonds, ditto for the steeped tea. But it’s weak at 1.24 tsp / 8oz, 195F for 4 min and I would have no clue there’s citrus in here were it not for the website. Not satisfying at all.

Flavors: Nuts

I’m pretty sure by now I’ve sampled all of the white teas at my DT store by now, haha. This one I liked, but wasn’t overly blown away by. I think it had to do with the hint of licorice – not one of my favourite flavours. But I do like almond, and thankfully the taste of that overrode that of the licorice.