North African Mint (organic)

Green Herbal Blend
Mint, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Nutty, Pepper
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tuscanteal

• “I'm glad I had a cup of this. It's been months and I always forget how good it is but the name just never gets me excited, but then when I finally do, I really like it! Now to check if *Sil* has...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1676 tasting notes
  • “So I was perusing my cupboard this morning, and I've been feeling like sweeter teas lately but I didn't want to use another sachet of Paris. So I decided to try to change my sweet craving haha and...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 906 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew today. I was craving chai but I was trying to stay away from black tea today. When I had this one the first time, it really reminded me of chai, because it has chai...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 764 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing up my day with this one, since it tends to calm my tummy and headaches, both of which I have at the moment. I'm just not hungry today, which is weird and tells me I'm sick. I've made...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

An exotic journey
Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic, fairly-traded green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb.

Ingredients: Cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, black pepper.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Continuing on my recent kick of minty teas…

This one surprised me. A lot. And I’m still unsure whether that is a good or a bad thing.

There’s not a lot of mint in this. The spices don’t really hit the tongue; they’d rather attack the back of my throat. Not a fan of the liquor’s smell (odd, considering I really enjoy the dry scent). And yet, I am sitting here sipping away… Not enough flavour to really like it, yet conversely, not enough of anything to hate.

Hello, Fence, my name is Kay! Mind if I sit on you for a while?

I have a hard time believing this tea has a green base, since I can’t taste it at all. The other “stuff” in this tea completely takes over, but that is definitely not a bad thing.

Once upon a time the Ethiopian restaurant in London used to have this kind of “Ethiopian cardamom tea” that I used to love. They’ve stopped offering it because the ingredients for it became too expensive. This tastes so close to that tea I used to love that it’s the best substitute I’ve found so far. There’s something “sweet” in it that gives it a really pleasant after-taste; I think it might be the ginger. The mixture of fennel seed and liquorice root gives a good flavour without tasting like black liquorice. I love the mint leaves, and the pepper and cardamom give it a nice spicy after-taste.

A definite yum, and I would definitely buy it again.

Not going to lie, this one is awesome! Nice and complex with all the spices. The pepper and cardamom work really well with the mint. I did find the tea wanted some sweetener, so I added a tsp of natural sugar. :) So good. In fact, the wife had an upset stomach last night and I made some of this for her. Helped her settle down.

Boiling

This is quickly become a favorite tea. I really enjoy the suddle hints of mint with the nice spices in it. It’s a very warm and relaxing tea. Great relaxing tea!

I received North African Mint the other day from a friend who was giving me some of the teas which she didn’t like. I’m a fan of minty teas, so I figured that I would like North African Mint given the name.

Unfortunately I didn’t taste much (if any) of the mint flavour, and instead I could only really taste the spices. Unsteeped and steeped, you can smell both the spices and the mint, but the mint seems to be drowned out in the actual taste.

The spicy taste wasn’t bad, but it was only okay at best. I was a bit disappointed (Despite going in with low expectations.) Maybe I just didn’t get a good mix of the ingredients, so I’ll have to try this one again sometime.

I picked up 10g of this yesterday and am drinking it for the first time now. The smell is really strong and minty but with a bit of a twist which I can’t really describe. This tea is really different from any thing that I would normally drink. I do like it but I can’t see myself drinking it every day. This is one I would definetely recomend to anyone who likes mint and bold flavours. I find that the mint in this tea is what you taste first and the other ingredients follow as the mint mellows down. For all the bold flavours, it is really not overpowering like I expected.

Nooooooooooooo :( licorice root ruins this one for me. It has a beautiful spicy dry smell, but the licorice root is just too much. It really hangs on, even for the second infusion.

This is a great mint tea. I like the green tea base as opposed to the plain mint herbal tea you often get. The licorice and cardamom add nice layers of flavourful to this tea. I like it best as an after dinner tea to aid in digestion.

This is one of my favourite North African/Moroccan mint blends! The cardamom! Cinnamon! This is the drink of hospitality for a reason! It’s always a hit when I serve it in a teapot to my friends. I love how the different flavours meld together to create a beautiful tea. Notes of licorice are present as well. Tea can be fickle – I recommend a little higher than a normal green tea temperature, but certainly not anywhere close to boiling. It can turn this tea very bitter. It’s a lovely addition to my permanent tea collection.

Keep in mind that I a) love strong teas and b) love chai blends and herbs that other people may not necessarily find palatable in tea. Especially licorice, pepper, cloves etc.

Sweet Canadian

I am also having a love affair with cardamom atm. I’m going to try a bunch of Davids chais soon as soon as I get through some of my current sipdowns…I really liked jade oolong chai and coco chai rooibos when I had them recently.

When it comes to green tea (and white and oolong teas, for that matter), you should never steep it with boiling water. Slightly cooler water is needed, or else you’ll scald the leaves.

There are three methods that I know of in order to reach the ideal temperature. One is to let the boiled water sit for a few minutes. Another is to temper with cold water, and a third is tempering with an ice cube. In the second and third case, you’re technically using boiling water, but you’re making sure to pour the hot water over the colder parts, and not directly on the tea (if at all possible).

Over my three forays with green tea so far, I’ve played once with each of these methods. To date, I’ve no favourite. I do, however, think that I’d feel much more confident if I had a thermometer handy so I could measure how hot the water was, and making sure I was staying close to suggested steeping temperatures.

In time, I’ll work on that, and find what does work best for me. If anyone has any best practices, I’d love to hear them.

Anyway, on with the tea of the day.

Steeped: 1.5 tsp in tea ball, brewed in-cup. Brewed with boiled water tempered by ice cube.

First cup: Steeped 3 minutes.
The mint is definitely the flavour that comes out strongest in this tea. The other ingredients seem to work to intensify the sensation of mint, without actually taking it over. I can smell the spices and the ginger far more than I can taste them, but the ginger’s sweetness certainly does come through, and I have to guess that the tingliness which I would associate with the mint is actually coming from the spices as well. The overall flavour seems very simple and well-put together for all the ingredients, though.

Second cup: Resteep. Steeped 4 minutes.
The mint less prominent this time around, though it’s still detectable. With its fading, the complexity of the tea’s flavour seems to rise as the spices gain prominence. There’s still a sweetness that hits at the back of the throat, and the different kinds of heat and spice all hit at slightly different times, making for an interesting experience. It seems slightly less cohesive, but still very complementary.

Third steep: Re-resteep. Steeped over 5 minutes.
Still very strong flavour. Again, the spices are coming out more than the mint, but still in a very complimentary way.

Overall impression: An interesting flavour. Goes from deceptively simple to more complex, while still maintaining a strong flavour profile over several steeps, and evolves over the course of them. If I wasn’t so full of tea right now, I’d probably see what a fourth steep was like.

My rating: 80. A-. I like a tea that will last over time with a good amount of flavour to it. Not sure if I would buy it for myself in large quantities, but still something I’d keep in mind for sipping now and again.