North African Mint (organic)

Green Herbal Blend
Mint, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Nutty, Pepper
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tuscanteal

• “I'm glad I had a cup of this. It's been months and I always forget how good it is but the name just never gets me excited, but then when I finally do, I really like it! Now to check if *Sil* has...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1619 tasting notes
  • “So I was perusing my cupboard this morning, and I've been feeling like sweeter teas lately but I didn't want to use another sachet of Paris. So I decided to try to change my sweet craving haha and...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 886 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew today. I was craving chai but I was trying to stay away from black tea today. When I had this one the first time, it really reminded me of chai, because it has chai...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 753 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing up my day with this one, since it tends to calm my tummy and headaches, both of which I have at the moment. I'm just not hungry today, which is weird and tells me I'm sick. I've made...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

An exotic journey
Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic, fairly-traded green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb.

Ingredients: Cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, black pepper.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This tastes like a cheap sleepy time bagged mint tisane to me. So disappointed :( Boo.

Also wanted to add that there is a very obvious hemp (being polite because I really want to write marijuana) taste to this.

Disclainer: I am not a pothead because I know what it tastes like. Just sayin’! Don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea, but it’s an interesting note so i have to share!

boychik

You got me curious ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha, I get that to from herbal blends sometimes.

mj

So that’s why you have those tiny bags you pack tea samples in….. J/K!!

Virginia

LOL! You know what’s funny too? My boyfriend told me to use the kitchen scale to measure the quantities of tea to make sure they were all the same and I was like “But WHY?” Can you imagine how completely misleading that could be to someone just passing by and looking into my kitchen window? Let’s NOT get arrested over tea samples please lol

mj

LOL that mental picture is priceless. But I thought you Canadians were much more relaxed about that ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! mj1851, depends where you live! In my neck of the woods, there’s nothing to be nervous about ;-)
(And now I’ll have to borrow Virginia’s disclaimer!!)

Oh, this one was delicious! Spicy and minty is a gooood combination, I think! I was totally sad to see my cup end – when I have room for another flavour of tea in my stash this one is definitely making the cut and is being included. I’m always on the lookout for greens that don’t cost a small fortune.

A sample from Shmiracles. This is an interesting one. I was expecting something thoroughly minty, but that’s not this tea at all. The mint is actually the most subtle flavour, bar the green tea base. The main flavour here is a mixture of chai-like spices — drinking this actually reminds me quite strongly of 52 Teas GenmaiCHAI. My tastebuds are still a little off after my cold, but I’m pretty sure I can taste ginger, cardamon, and clove. I expected the mint to add a fresh edge to the flavour, but it actually adds a murky swampiness all its own, although probably assisted by the hojicha. This isn’t what I was expecting, but it’s uniquely pleasant. It’s probably not something I’d want on hand all the time, but I’ll enjoy finishing off this sample and trying to identify some more of the flavours. Different and intriguing!

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Stephanie

This one is nice to get rid of food tastes after a spicy meal :)

Gah, I had written a whole note for this and one false move with the keyboard and it seems to have been lost somehow.

Anyway this tea is a sample from the David’s co-pilot pack. This and the Super Ginger were the ones I was most interested in trying. There is a LOT going on in this blend. First there is peppermint, but also chai type spices like ginger, cardamom, clove and black pepper. Also licorice. With some tea blends the licorice can be so overdone and sickeningly sweet but I am not finding that here. You can’t really taste any green tea at all, but I know it’s there because I saw it, he he. This is blended very well and pretty tasty, but it is so intense, I wonder if I would drink this on a regular basis. I may pick up a small pack some day.

I tried one cup hot and then poured the other cup over ice. I think I prefer it iced but it got kind of diluted. Iced, it is very refreshing and seems like it would be good on a hot summer day.

Sipdown (here’s hoping I used that correctly)! Dry, this tea has a distinct black pepper smell with a minty undertone. Steeped, the flavour has changed from cup-to-cup for me depending on what proportion of the ingredients you are getting. My first time around it was very heavy in licorice, and being someone who doesn’t like licorice, I could not finish that cup. The second time around, I got a heavily spiced cup with a minty aftertaste, and this was my favourite combination. This time around, for my last steep, I’m getting a very minty flavour with hints of pepper and fennel. Out of the three times I have made this, the green tea has never come through.

I recommend trying this tea as a midday refresher, although I personally will not be repurchasing because of how widely the flavour of each cup varies.

Note: I will be fixing steep time later (should be 4 minutes)

This is such an interesting tea. Mint, which I associate either with chocolate, or fresh, cool flavors, mixed with warming spices.
The taste, starts out as mint, a bright potent peppermint, followed by most strongly ginger and fennel.
The ginger is a bit on the astringent side, and the fennel is potent.

it’s an odd combination.
I’ve re-steepeed it twice, the mint flavor dwindling, and I still don’t like it any better.

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Made a cup at school this afternoon and it’s delicious… Hopefully it’ll wake me up! The mint and green tea flavors go really well with the spices.

Drinking this to recover from the jasmine tea. While I do enjoy the flavor, the real draw of North African Mint is its cure-all powers.

De

I like the NAM, but every now and then the licorice just gets over-powering and sticks to the back of my throat and I get turned off of it for a while.

Tamarindel

I know what you mean, licorice isn’t a favorite flavor of mine either, and the NAM isn’t a tea I can drink every day (TOO relaxing, for one thing). But I like to keep some around. I’m convinced the spice blend has some sort of detox effect.

I love mint tea. Let’s just put that out there. The first time I ever had authentic mint tea was in Tangier, Morocco and ever since I’ve been looking for a tea just like it. My cousin gave me this tea and said it tasted almost like the tea we had in Morocco and I was so excited to try it! Now here’s where this tea goes downhill for me.. I had my mesh ball in my cup, poured the hot water over it and it immediately lost all mint taste and smell! I did a quick google search and I think I may have “burned” the tea. I did a second cup, but allowed the water to cool for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened again. Has this happened to anyone? I want to enjoy the tea I have but not when it smells like this :(

First things first, I love this tea. I love the almost spicy taste of mint. I love how it’s organic. I love its intensity. However, the reviews from the people around me trying it, tended to disagree. These people aren’t exactly “tea-people” per say, but they referred to it having an unpleasant odor and a mild “dandelion” flavor.

I guess I enjoy dandelions. I love it.

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more