North African Mint (organic)

Green Tea
Black Pepper, Cardamom, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Hojicha, Licorice Root, Peppermint
Licorice, Mint, Spices, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Nutty, Pepper
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I'm glad I had a cup of this. It's been months and I always forget how good it is but the name just never gets me excited, but then when I finally do, I really like it! Now to check if *Sil* has...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1720 tasting notes
  • “So I was perusing my cupboard this morning, and I’ve been feeling like sweeter teas lately but I didn’t want to use another sachet of Paris. So I decided to try to change my sweet...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 1032 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew today. I was craving chai but I was trying to stay away from black tea today. When I had this one the first time, it really reminded me of chai, because it has chai...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 823 tasting notes
  • “I’m finishing up my day with this one, since it tends to calm my tummy and headaches, both of which I have at the moment. I’m just not hungry today, which is weird and tells me...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1351 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

An exotic journey
Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic, fairly-traded green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb.

Ingredients: Cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, black pepper.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is a combination of some of my favorite things. I love when tea blends have extra herbs in them, so this hits my spicy/savory palette cravings just right. The hojicha green tea base is good, not too roasty and not too grassy, and supports the peppermint well. The fennel and black pepper, while subtle, are definitely present. These spices in particular make this a unique, stand-out tea that I can’t find anywhere else. The ginger and licorice are not overpowering, with the forward flavors truly being the mint itself. Hot, this tea is a relaxing, meditative blend for when you’re feeling a little sick or want an unusual herbal. Iced, might be a little strange for some (the more savory spices brewed cold are unexpected) but if you are a fan of the herbs in the blend, you’ll like it either way. Mint teas are excellent brewed cold in my opinion, or maybe I’ve just had a hot couple of days and this hit the spot.

Flavors: Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Mint, Nutty, Pepper

Grabbed this while on my jaunt of sicko-ness, at the recommendation of the staffer who seemed to have similar tea-tastes. I said to her, “Oh, this is just a green chai?” Which seemed to surprise her that she hadn’t thought of it herself. “Yea, I guess it is,” was the reply. Personally, I’d call this a minty lighter chai, with a hint of creaminess. I like it, but not enough to go out of my way to buy more of it.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This was on my wish list at DAVIDsTEA, before joining steepsters but I know it made it there by checking out the notes here. So, when I saw VariaTEA was selling 10g. As soon as the package arrived I opened it up and smelled it. I completely forgot how it even made it to the list, it smells spicy and I can smell the licorice that I’m not a fan of.

A couple of months ago I over steeped this a good 10-15min, prepared for the worst, I took my first sip and was surprised it was somewhat pleasant in a weird way. I was and still am confused on how sweet it was, it reminded me of stevia.

Last night I let my son pick two teas to cold brew for today. I was so happy this was one he chose and dumped the rest I had left in the mason jar. I took a few sips before giving it to him and it was more drinkable for me but still weird for me: sweet mint and pepper. My sons reaction was a loud “OhYum minty!” He had no problem drinking it. I asked if he liked it as he was playing a videogame he said “Yea I like it, what I don’t like.…what I don’t like is..… those penguin things” I was waiting for him to say something bad about the tea.

Thank you VariaTEA I’m happy I got to try this before buying 50g.

I am a sampling machine today!! WHAT?!

Didn’t know this was a green tea, thought it was a herbal, so I steeped for 3mins at boiling.. Eeek!

Very minty smelling but with a weird… something else to it that I can’t describe, although I haven’t had a mint tea in forever, so maybe this is normal. The colour is a cross between apple juice and apple cider…

Taste… it’s like mint with pepper. Is that possible?
WHAT?! I just looked up the ingredients. It DOES have pepper! That is weird!!
I don’t get the licorice with this one that much which is good. That’s what’s been holding me back from trying it.

This tea isn’t too bad, but I don’t know if I’ll finish the cup. I feel like I’m so done with peppermint. Spearmint is where it’s at. And even then, I very rarely drink that these days. No idea why… Although, black teas with peppermint are okay.

Anyways, wouldn’t buy again. I’m going to say goodbye to this one too.

As a side note: I’m so happy about how many I’ve been able to get through!! What a day! Hopefully I’ll be able to get through more either tomorrow or maybe even this afternoon. I’m on a roll! (realistically this is my fourth today but that’s really good for me!)

EDIT: As it cools the licorice is definitely coming out. And I think I get the ginger too. There is just waaaay too much going on with this tea for me. And the licorice is the main thing that I don’t like… meh oh well.

I used this for its intended purpose: my stomach was feeilng upset. I was skeptical, but it worked. Placebo effect? Maybe. But the flavour was actually very pleasant, nice for a mint tea. Not overwhelming, but not sweet, either. Just nice. I’d usually have a cup of New Delhi Delight if my stomach was feeling a bit “off,” but this would make a nice change every now and then.

This tastes like a cheap sleepy time bagged mint tisane to me. So disappointed :( Boo.

Also wanted to add that there is a very obvious hemp (being polite because I really want to write marijuana) taste to this.

Disclainer: I am not a pothead because I know what it tastes like. Just sayin’! Don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea, but it’s an interesting note so i have to share!

boychik

You got me curious ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha, I get that to from herbal blends sometimes.

mj

So that’s why you have those tiny bags you pack tea samples in….. J/K!!

Virginia

LOL! You know what’s funny too? My boyfriend told me to use the kitchen scale to measure the quantities of tea to make sure they were all the same and I was like “But WHY?” Can you imagine how completely misleading that could be to someone just passing by and looking into my kitchen window? Let’s NOT get arrested over tea samples please lol

mj

LOL that mental picture is priceless. But I thought you Canadians were much more relaxed about that ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! mj1851, depends where you live! In my neck of the woods, there’s nothing to be nervous about ;-)
(And now I’ll have to borrow Virginia’s disclaimer!!)

Oh, this one was delicious! Spicy and minty is a gooood combination, I think! I was totally sad to see my cup end – when I have room for another flavour of tea in my stash this one is definitely making the cut and is being included. I’m always on the lookout for greens that don’t cost a small fortune.

A sample from Shmiracles. This is an interesting one. I was expecting something thoroughly minty, but that’s not this tea at all. The mint is actually the most subtle flavour, bar the green tea base. The main flavour here is a mixture of chai-like spices — drinking this actually reminds me quite strongly of 52 Teas GenmaiCHAI. My tastebuds are still a little off after my cold, but I’m pretty sure I can taste ginger, cardamon, and clove. I expected the mint to add a fresh edge to the flavour, but it actually adds a murky swampiness all its own, although probably assisted by the hojicha. This isn’t what I was expecting, but it’s uniquely pleasant. It’s probably not something I’d want on hand all the time, but I’ll enjoy finishing off this sample and trying to identify some more of the flavours. Different and intriguing!

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Stephanie

This one is nice to get rid of food tastes after a spicy meal :)

Gah, I had written a whole note for this and one false move with the keyboard and it seems to have been lost somehow.

Anyway this tea is a sample from the David’s co-pilot pack. This and the Super Ginger were the ones I was most interested in trying. There is a LOT going on in this blend. First there is peppermint, but also chai type spices like ginger, cardamom, clove and black pepper. Also licorice. With some tea blends the licorice can be so overdone and sickeningly sweet but I am not finding that here. You can’t really taste any green tea at all, but I know it’s there because I saw it, he he. This is blended very well and pretty tasty, but it is so intense, I wonder if I would drink this on a regular basis. I may pick up a small pack some day.

I tried one cup hot and then poured the other cup over ice. I think I prefer it iced but it got kind of diluted. Iced, it is very refreshing and seems like it would be good on a hot summer day.

Sipdown (here’s hoping I used that correctly)! Dry, this tea has a distinct black pepper smell with a minty undertone. Steeped, the flavour has changed from cup-to-cup for me depending on what proportion of the ingredients you are getting. My first time around it was very heavy in licorice, and being someone who doesn’t like licorice, I could not finish that cup. The second time around, I got a heavily spiced cup with a minty aftertaste, and this was my favourite combination. This time around, for my last steep, I’m getting a very minty flavour with hints of pepper and fennel. Out of the three times I have made this, the green tea has never come through.

I recommend trying this tea as a midday refresher, although I personally will not be repurchasing because of how widely the flavour of each cup varies.

Note: I will be fixing steep time later (should be 4 minutes)