North African Mint (organic)

Green Tea
Black Pepper, Cardamom, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Hojicha, Licorice Root, Peppermint
Mint, Licorice, Spices, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Nutty, Pepper
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I’m glad I had a cup of this. It’s been months and I always forget how good it is but the name just never gets me excited, but then when I finally do, I really like it! Now to check if...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1766 tasting notes
  • “So I was perusing my cupboard this morning, and I’ve been feeling like sweeter teas lately but I didn’t want to use another sachet of Paris. So I decided to try to change my sweet...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 1043 tasting notes
  • “Made this one as a cold brew today. I was craving chai but I was trying to stay away from black tea today. When I had this one the first time, it really reminded me of chai, because it has chai...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 829 tasting notes
  • “I’m finishing up my day with this one, since it tends to calm my tummy and headaches, both of which I have at the moment. I’m just not hungry today, which is weird and tells me...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1351 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

An exotic journey
Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic, fairly-traded green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb.

Ingredients: Cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, black pepper.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Gah, I had written a whole note for this and one false move with the keyboard and it seems to have been lost somehow.

Anyway this tea is a sample from the David’s co-pilot pack. This and the Super Ginger were the ones I was most interested in trying. There is a LOT going on in this blend. First there is peppermint, but also chai type spices like ginger, cardamom, clove and black pepper. Also licorice. With some tea blends the licorice can be so overdone and sickeningly sweet but I am not finding that here. You can’t really taste any green tea at all, but I know it’s there because I saw it, he he. This is blended very well and pretty tasty, but it is so intense, I wonder if I would drink this on a regular basis. I may pick up a small pack some day.

I tried one cup hot and then poured the other cup over ice. I think I prefer it iced but it got kind of diluted. Iced, it is very refreshing and seems like it would be good on a hot summer day.

Sipdown (here’s hoping I used that correctly)! Dry, this tea has a distinct black pepper smell with a minty undertone. Steeped, the flavour has changed from cup-to-cup for me depending on what proportion of the ingredients you are getting. My first time around it was very heavy in licorice, and being someone who doesn’t like licorice, I could not finish that cup. The second time around, I got a heavily spiced cup with a minty aftertaste, and this was my favourite combination. This time around, for my last steep, I’m getting a very minty flavour with hints of pepper and fennel. Out of the three times I have made this, the green tea has never come through.

I recommend trying this tea as a midday refresher, although I personally will not be repurchasing because of how widely the flavour of each cup varies.

Note: I will be fixing steep time later (should be 4 minutes)

This is such an interesting tea. Mint, which I associate either with chocolate, or fresh, cool flavors, mixed with warming spices.
The taste, starts out as mint, a bright potent peppermint, followed by most strongly ginger and fennel.
The ginger is a bit on the astringent side, and the fennel is potent.

it’s an odd combination.
I’ve re-steepeed it twice, the mint flavor dwindling, and I still don’t like it any better.

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Made a cup at school this afternoon and it’s delicious… Hopefully it’ll wake me up! The mint and green tea flavors go really well with the spices.

Drinking this to recover from the jasmine tea. While I do enjoy the flavor, the real draw of North African Mint is its cure-all powers.

De

I like the NAM, but every now and then the licorice just gets over-powering and sticks to the back of my throat and I get turned off of it for a while.

Tamarindel

I know what you mean, licorice isn’t a favorite flavor of mine either, and the NAM isn’t a tea I can drink every day (TOO relaxing, for one thing). But I like to keep some around. I’m convinced the spice blend has some sort of detox effect.

I love mint tea. Let’s just put that out there. The first time I ever had authentic mint tea was in Tangier, Morocco and ever since I’ve been looking for a tea just like it. My cousin gave me this tea and said it tasted almost like the tea we had in Morocco and I was so excited to try it! Now here’s where this tea goes downhill for me.. I had my mesh ball in my cup, poured the hot water over it and it immediately lost all mint taste and smell! I did a quick google search and I think I may have “burned” the tea. I did a second cup, but allowed the water to cool for about 10 minutes and the same thing happened again. Has this happened to anyone? I want to enjoy the tea I have but not when it smells like this :(

First things first, I love this tea. I love the almost spicy taste of mint. I love how it’s organic. I love its intensity. However, the reviews from the people around me trying it, tended to disagree. These people aren’t exactly “tea-people” per say, but they referred to it having an unpleasant odor and a mild “dandelion” flavor.

I guess I enjoy dandelions. I love it.

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more

I have heard all the rave about this green from friends. I decided to pick up a 100g tin and boy were they right. This is a great wake-me up in the morning. I love anything with mint in it and this one is just perfect. I have to say that my supply is almost gone and I will definitely be going back to get more.

I received this as a birthday present yesterday from my sister in law as part of their huge sampler box with eight 40g tins, one of each type of tea. This is their green tea offering. And though I think it was a good choice for this box, I wish it was something else. I’ve had this before and didn’t like it so I gave the rest of my bag to my friend at work who I dump all my unwanted teas on. I think we have opposite tastes so she usually likes everything I dislike. It works out perfectly, I don’t think she’s had to buy tea in months. This tin will probably go to her as well unless I can swap it out.

I still don’t like this tea. I am not a fan of mint or chai spices so this tea didn’t have a good chance with me. I don’t like this tea purely because I don’t like what’s in it, so if you like mint and chai spices then you will probably like this tea. I hate giving bad ratings to teas that I know I don’t like because of me, and not because of the tea. This tea is well done. In those cases I try to add 10 or so points to what I would rate it otherwise.

Organic North African Mint is one of those teas that I find is best in small amounts, very small amounts. On St Patrick’s day I got a cup of it for free because I was wearing green, but it was too much for me to handle. It was intense and medicine-like. It was too over whelming for me to drink. But now, I brewed a tiny amount (3 ounces) and I’m happily drinking it!

Basically, the taste is a minty-medicinal-anise flavor with a hint of fennel. Honestly there is just too much going on in this tea for my liking. So like I said, small amounts!