Quangzhou Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
Butter, Milk, Cream, Caramel, Smooth, Spinach
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Indulge

This ultra-rare oolong from the Wuyi Mountains of China is velvety smooth and lightly creamy, with a subtle hint of orchid. It’s said that it came about when the moon fell in love with a comet. The comet passed her by, as comets will do. The moon cried milky tears, which chilled the tea fields, withering the leaves and giving them a delicate creaminess. It’s been a rare luxury ever since.

Ingredients: Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

We hade my parents in law over for lunch and made them this pie (http://strictlypaleoish.com/2012/04/30/chickenbroccoli-pie/) but with sweet potato not chicken as the mother inlaw is veggie, and these amazing fudge bites – http://pathtowellness.com.au/raw-cacao-fudge-bites/. I made a pot of this oolong to go with the fudge bites. Not only were they a perfect pair, but the consecutive steeps were a big hit with our guests. Beautiful as always, about to do brew 4.

Loose
Appearance: large dark oolong kernel
Aroma when Dry: sweet, nutty, creamy
After water is first poured: sweet nutty creamy rice notes
At the end of first steep: sweet, creamy, nutty
Tea liquor:
At end of steep: clear
Staple? type Yes, would use brand again
Preferred time of day: afternoon, evening
Taste:
At first?: Nutty, mineral notes, velvety sweet close
As it cools?: Notes of chestnut, pecan, and milkiness surface, joining the other notes, tea deepens and layers
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? Yes, sticky rice and nutty notes, pine nut, hazelnut notes

Second Steep (4min):
At first: sweet, mineral notes, then nuttiness
As it cools: mineral notes linger much longer, nutty notes deepen

Third Steep (5min):
Nutty, thick mineral notes, velvety, creamy close

Fourth Steep (5min):
Creamy nutty notes blend, light velvety close

This is my last session with this tea for awhile. I am sure I will be stocking up after I finish my other milk oolongs.
2nd steep: 95degrees, 4minutes, butter, milky, silky smooth, does it get any better than this?
I will miss you Q. milk oolong, see ya soon!

It’s my birthday today… what’s better than birthday cake?

This tea. Oh, and smoked gouda cheese. But mostly this tea.

To reiterate my other reviews…
First steep @ 94°C for 2 min: creamy, buttery notes first, which subtly z give way to something reminiscent of leafy greens, with the slightest hint of sweetness.

Second steep @ 95°C for 4 min: Like the first, but much more delicious!

Third steep @ 96°C for 5 min: Almost identical in taste to the first, less flavourful than the second.

Fourth steep @ 98°C for 7 min: Still delicious. Might even get a 5th!

ScottTeaMan

Happy Birthday to you…… :))

Angrboda

Happy birthday, Faith. :)

Faith

Scott & Angrboda: Why, thank-you!

TeaBrat

Happy birthday!

Kay Kanada

Happy happy birthday! Enjoy the freedom of eating copious amounts of cake!

Happy Birthday Faith!! <=D

Faith

Amy, Kay, & Indigo: Thanks guys!

DaisyChubb

ah I’m late, happy belated! :D

The dry tea smells green and spinach-y with hints of something sweet and flowery. The taste – oh the flavour! This is what a milk oolong is supposed to taste like! It’s almost like drinking smooth, sweet cream rather than tea. I can also taste some very faint floral notes – the tea description says orchid, but the flavour suggests something more like honeysuckle to me.

This tea comes dangerously close to being as good as the milk oolong I had from The O Dor – which officially ranks as The Best Tea Ever in my books. That tea had a thickness and butteriness that this tea doesn’t seem to have, but other than that I think this one matches up.

CMT 雲 山 茶

It wouldn’t surprise me if they added milk flavor.

Jillian

You had to burst my bubble, didn’t you? ;P

CMT 雲 山 茶

For health reasons they would have to disclose any additives. Be interesting to ask them.

Uniquity

The ingredient list online (which seems to always note flavour additives when there are some – It would be foolish for them to list some and not others) lists nothing other than Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains.

CMT 雲 山 茶

Doesn’t mean the Milk flavor wasn’t added in China before it got to Davids.

Uniquity

But if it was added before they got it, is it something they would have to disclose anymore, especially since they wouldn’t necessarily be aware? These sitations of responsibility interest me.. :)

Gong__Fu_Fighter

With most milk teas the milk flavor is added by the Tea Master during the processing. The milk flavor does not occur naturally in the leaves themselves. In the situation here it was most likely added where the tea was proccessed…China.

Sipdown!

I tried this one today purely because when I opened the can, it smelled very similar to oolong creme from sloane that I love. So I figured that maybe this would be similar and then I’d be able to declare with a resounding YES! It’s milky oolongs that I love. But sadly, that’s not to be. Now, to be fair, this is a uch more pleasant cup that most oolongs, and I am enjoying it. But I’d rather drink sloane’s version…in a heartbeat, mostly because I don’t love oolongs, so I have zero desire to spend my time on oolongs that are not as yummy :)

This for sure has that milky creaminess that I love…but there’s a slightly more floral taste to this one on the tail end of the sip. It’s not that “oolong taste” that I don’t like but it is a bit sweetly floral. So, while I don’t hate this one, ill drink another instead.

Kittenna

Was this really a sipdown? Or merely a “I tried a sample and didn’t like it and am leaving the rest of this in the tin”? :P

Bwahahaha….it’s a sipdown in my books since I only added Nicole’s teas to my cupboard so that I could track what I hadn’t tried or tried after the cranberry pear mix up. Eventually ill be tossing them all into a swap post unless she magically can drink tea again. I’m house sitting that tea, and didn’t want it in the first place so I can do that if I want! Lol

Sprung for the tin this time! Now we never have to be apart again…

Shmiracles

and they lived happily every after! yay. (i fantasize about a tin of this too. but i need to earn it cuz yo i have way too much tea already)

whatshesaid

I will have to get some soon. I love it so much! Maybe I can get 25g at a time until it’s full :P

Alysha

I was supposed to earn it too. I tried buying a little bit at a time, and then I would run out in record time and be sad. It got to a point where I had to break the cycle! At least that’s how I’m justifying it ;)

Shmiracles

recently i’m realizing really clearly how my tastes are growing and changing. which is great because tea keeps becoming valuable and exciting to me in new ways. but the problem is that now i tend to have too much of the wrong kind of tea and not enough of the right kind. my sister, who got me into tea in the first place, is moving in within the month. after seeing how tea moves between us, i may have to do a spring cleaning of sorts just so i can make room for more deliciousness like this oolong.

whatshesaid

I agree with everything you said. It’s kind of problematic though.

Alysha

Shmiracles – same here; i’ve only been into tea for a short time and already my tastes have shifted quite a bit. i’m considering a spring cleaning too. it will be fun to have a tea buddy once your sister moves in. i envy you…i live with a coffee fanatic lol
whatshesaid – it definitely is, especially with the pricier ones!

This sample comes from Alysha. I was in the mood for a Milk Oolong today, as I always seem to when I’m sick, so I figured it was a good time to try this one out. It smells delicious!

Brewed it smells nice and milky, creamy, and buttery with sweet notes and roasted notes. Yum.

Taste-wise, this is one of the more awesome Milk Oolongs I’ve tried. Very creamy mouthfeel and taste – nice and milky, too. There are also slight buttery notes in here, especially at the end of the sip. I’m also getting hints of roasted oolong flavor – not sure why, but it’s tastey and pairs nicely with the creamy flavors. This is one smooth cuppa. Glad I decided to try this one today. Seems it was just what I needed.

Thanks again, Alysha! Very happy to have tried this one – might just find its way into my permanent stash!

Alysha

This is one of my faves. So glad you enjoyed it!

Emily M

Its pretty darn good! Thanks for sharing it. =)

Marcel Duchamp

I need to try this one. I’m loving Milk Oolongs lately.

Emily M

They’re my comfort tea. I can always find a Milk Oolong I like.

Marcel Duchamp

I ordered 4oz of the Whistling Kettle one! haha.

Emily M

WOW! Haha. I always have that one around. It was the first I tried, and I live near the store/tearoom, so it’s easy to get.

Marcel Duchamp

Thanks again for introducing me to it :-)

Glad to share!

I finally get to try the illustrious Quangzhou Milk Oolong. I’ve been saving it until I had time to really enjoy it, and give it a good three steeps.

The scent of the dry leaf isn’t a surprise. That classic oolong semi-floralness mixed in with milkiness. Like a true cup of milk mixed in with the tea leaves. Weird side note, though. While I was waiting for the water to boil and had my tea ready to go in my Tea Stick, I caught a whiff of cheese. Like creamy havarti. Took me a while to realize it was coming from the tea!

I didn’t write down how long each steep was for, but if I remember correctly, I steeped this the first time for around four minutes at approximately 90°C. The steeped tea smelled similar to the dry leaf, although I found the milky aspect to blossom and take over the other notes. Now for the taste. Initially, I got a touch of floral, but the more I drank it, the more that went away. This has a wonderful, classic, underlying oolong, but the milkiness is domineering. It tastes like milk, but in a “dairy” way. I can’t really describe what I mean by that. It’s a more savoury milky note than sweet.

The second steep was even milkier. That slightly floral taste I was getting before was at this point gone entirely. And the milkiness got even creamier. A tad sweeter, as well. Second round definitely won. There was the perfect balance amongst all the flavours. It was more buttery, sweeter, and creamier.

The third steep was already getting rather weak. With the hint of floral long gone and the sweetness of the second steep gone as well, this started to almost taste like that havarti I was smelling earlier. That milkiness was going a little sour too. Not in an atrociously disgusting way, but it was noticeable.

Anyway, blah blah blah, that was my Quanqzhou Milk Oolong adventure. I bought about 16g or so, so I’ll gladly finish it off, but I’m not sure if I would buy it again? This made me realize that I prefer my oolongs on the more floral side. It’s still a marvellous tea.

Indigobloom

definitely not my fave milky oolong, the DT version… though it’s been eons since I had any and I know the season makes a difference.
Now I’m curious about the havarti!

Fjellrev

This is my first milk oolong, so I have nothing else to compare it to. The havartiness was interesting but not sure if I’d want to stock up on drinkable cheese haha.

Indigobloom

It does make a good starter MO! you can only go up from there :)

Thank you Amanda for including this in your tea sample sale! I’ve wanted to try a milk oolong for a while now!

The first steep was for four minutes. The unsteeped leaves smell like a sugary sweet, creamy floral oolong. And that is basically what it tastes like — sweet & creamy! This type of oolong just naturally tastes like this without flavoring? It is strangely like drinking actual milk… but with a nice floral oolong with it. I really don’t drink a ton of milk, so this is way better in my opinion. I had second & third steeps at 4 & 7 minutes that were both equally delicious. I wish I had more to say about this one – it is very complex. I love creamy teas and nice oolongs, so this one is amazing!