Quangzhou Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
Butter, Milk, Cream, Caramel, Smooth, Spinach
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Indulge

This ultra-rare oolong from the Wuyi Mountains of China is velvety smooth and lightly creamy, with a subtle hint of orchid. It’s said that it came about when the moon fell in love with a comet. The comet passed her by, as comets will do. The moon cried milky tears, which chilled the tea fields, withering the leaves and giving them a delicate creaminess. It’s been a rare luxury ever since.

Ingredients: Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

HEY! This is my 100th!

This is the last of the samples I got with my order and I put off trying it because…because…because the name was boring! (I mean, come on. They sent me Love Tea #7 and Strawberry Shortcake and some kind of milky oolong?)

I was so wrong. I’m on my second steeping now and am going to pop for the 100 gram tin. Then I have to stop buying tea for awhile.

Buttery, creamy. Just like everybody said before. So interesting! How can tea do this? I started out on Steepster thinking I wanted to learn about black teas but the oolongs and some green teas are really fascinating.

Having this with coconut lemongrass chicken and I almost don’t want to eat because it might disrupt the tea flavors.

Oh, and why does the packet say to steep 4-7 minutes? So glad I didn’t pay attention to that.

tigress_al

Happy 100! And what a great tea for your 100th review

Barb

Am on 4th steep and it’s still making me happy. The flavor is a little light by now, but it still smells delicious.

Ninavampi

Yay for 100th!!!! :)

1.5 tablespoons for 375 ml

Sweet creamy aroma.
Vanilla pudding-like sweetness. Creamy flavour. Slight sweet-sticky tangy-ness. Faint floral note.

Second infusion at 5 minutes using 248 ml of water. Pudding sweetness still present. Creaminess and floral notes are fainter than from the first infusion. I’m detecting a note that reminds me of lupini beans leading into the immediate aftertaste.

Got this from Ottawa Tea. This smells creamy. Steeped was a nice light yellow. So delicious! Light floral, green, and sweet! It is creamy and goes down smoothly. VERY delicious!!! :)

Oolong has not so far been my thing, but I’m willing to have my mind changed. I think that’s why I keep trying them – I know there must be one for me out there somewhere! Before now, I’ve only read about milk oolongs on here, but I’ve been curious to try one for a while now. Thanks to Sil, I finally have the chance!

The leaves of this one are intriguing. They’re rolled, I think, are roughly round, and a mottled green in colour with both light and darker patches. Once in my infuser, they unfurl pretty quickly, which is actually an enjoyable process to watch. I’ve just arrived at work, so I’m obviously easily distracted. There being 130 emails in my inbox isn’t helping on that front.

Brewed, the leaves actually smell pretty amazing. There’s a vegetal scent, as I might have expected from a green tea, but there’s also a very floral, faintly sweet overtone that I’m very encouraged by. I’ve never experienced this with an oolong before! I guess it’s what I was hoping they might be like, but instead have always found them quite bitter and mineral-tasting. The liquor is a golden yellow-brown.

I will admit to being a little apprehensive about this before taking my first sip, but I needn’t have been. I think I’ve finally found my kind of oolong! There’s no trace of bitterness at all – it’s smooth, sweet, slightly floral, and with a wonderful milky creaminess. I’m not sure whether it’s specifically orchid I can taste, but if it is, then orchid is a flavour I like. Who’d have thought it? I could happily drink this all day – it’s the complete opposite of what I was expecting, and, thankfully, has blown my preconceptions about oolongs out of the water.

Many, many thanks to Sil for finding me an oolong I can get behind!

Oh i’m glad you like this! you’ll probably like milk oolongs as a general GREEN oolong type. Organis sparrow tongue from butiki is also really nice as far as green oolongs, but it’s not creamy. it’s for sure more of a green taste. Also…i’ll try to see if there are darker roasted oolongs that i can suggest that you might like since you might be sort of like me in terms of “oolongs” (they’re mostly oo-wrong)

Scheherazade

I’ve got a little bag of Organic Sparrow Tongue in my cupboard at the moment, so I’ll give that a try next. I’m really not an oolong person in general, though, so this one really took me by surprise! It’s a good thing — I’d really like to be able to enjoy oolongs, and now I know it’s just a case of finding the right one :)

I am home from work for two days, so I thought that I would use these days to compare a few straight oolongs. I decided to start with this one, the free tea I got a few weeks back when DAVIDs had a promo…buy…whatever it was, get 50g of any tea for free. (Unless you were ordering online, and then you got saddled with 50g of backstock of their hibiscus nightmare, Paradise Found. Sorry, online-only people! My condolences.)

I decided to go for this one – because it’s pricey as hell, of course. I don’t know what to make of it…maybe I should have just stocked up on something I know I like.

The dry smell in the bag is very milky, with a fresh green smell underneath.

Steeped, it tastes like…well, so far it tastes like warm milk heavily watered down with hot water. I’ve gone through 3 infusions now – one at 30 seconds, one at a minute and one at two minutes. The first infusion tasted like sweet milky water. The second infusion tasted like…water dipped in tea. This infusion finally seems to be showing promise of something, with a heavy, creamy mouthfeel and a distinctly milky taste. I do like it the best, so although I usually get bored enough to stop at three, I think I will try at least one more infusion to see what happens. I won’t rate it for now.

I still don’t think I’m quite seeing why people are so excited about this one, though. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: ALSO, has anyone tried the 52teas Southern Boy Teas hot vs. cold steeped? I’m debating between cold steeping, or hot steeping and then cold-steeping the leaves again. Any opinions?

Edit II: Well, now I’m on the fourth infusion, and there is a thick richness to it that there wasn’t before. I won’t give it more than a 70 though, for how long I had to steep it to get any real flavour.

Michelle

I got this one in a sampler pack, tried two sips over it, and couldn’t shake the feeling that I was drinking rice pudding. So away it went to someone who’d appreciate it.

Daniel Scott

Now, see, I really LIKE rice pudding! I wouldn’t mind that! Haha, but I just feel like I’m drinking a “go to sleep” cup of warm milk that some overly-fat-conscious mother heavily watered down in fear of her children someday becoming “obese.” (Sleep-deprived would be fine, fat, NEVER!)

Michelle

Ha! I know what you mean :)

Hmmmm…..not sure about this one. I really, really want to like this milk oolong since it is very accessible. But I am just not getting the creaminess I have heard about. The dry aroma does not come across very creamy – I hope my 50 grams is not stale :(. As for taste, perhaps my novice tea buds need more maturing, but I find it a bit on the bitter side. I may have over steeped so my bad.

Gonna try a second steep of this in a bit. And will watch the timer like a hawk! Fingers crossed yup, yup.

Michelle Butler Hallett

You might be happier with cooler water. I’ve made this one with water at 85C. That said, I’ve also had better Quangzhou from other vendors.

Michelle Butler Hallett

(Although I just checked my notes and found I steeped it at 96C … sigh. Don’t listen to me.)

It has been an oolong kind of day for me. I was glad I left this one at the shop last week. Considering I forgot the Milk Oolong I picked up from thepuriteas…ooopsie. Anyway, this one has a very buttery, creamy taste to it that I really love. It is so smooth and well smooth. I love it, but it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against thepuritea’s milk oolong.

Ninavampi

Glad I included this in my order! I will be receiving my first Davids Tea order when my brother very generously brings it from the US to Ecuador for Christmas! : )

I smelled this tea in the store, and was blown away by the strange scents.

Tasting notes: it’s incredibly creamy and has an unusual flavor layered on top of the usual oolong. My husband and I really like this oolong, so it might soon become one of our favorites.
This is definitely worth trying once, because it is such a unique tea. It smells really good before and after brewing.

Dorothy

I just wanted to make an additional note. This tea does NOT contain any milk or dairy products.
The taste is due to a drop in temperature when the tea is picked.

Sounds beautiful.

I was not sure what to expect from this, I’m not usually into Oolongs, and someone on here suggested I try milk oolong. It smells milky and sweet, something that I didn’t expect. Well, taste wise, it was… like butter, which I’m not sure i’m down with, but this was ONE expensive tea.

195 °F / 90 °C
TeaBrat

those do not tend to be my favorites either. Too buttery is kinda weird.

Bonnie

I went to my local tea shop and the tea sommelier gave me a small lukewarm swish of milk oolong that had a 30 second steep….oh my goodness was it good. I bought some….$10 an ounce. Light…delicately sweet and a hint of butter…not too much. If I had this on my own I KNOW I would have steeped the heck out of it. I’m almost afraid to ruin such a virgin leaf…one that needs to be handled with care. (I’m beginning to sound yucky)

Erin

lol i’ll try to steep it for less time.

You all are going to laugh at how I steeped this one. I’m at work, so I don’t have my preferred oolong brewing tools – all I have in the office at the moment is a smallish brewing basket and some t-sacs. Not going to cut it for a big leafed oolong. So I took a giant pyrex measuring cup that my coworker brought in, filled it with the leaves, added exactly 8oz of water that I heated in my electric kettle, and covered it with a giant Gladware lid that someone left behind. When the steep time was up, I poured it into a mug through my tiny basket to strain. It may have been ghetto-fabulous, (and totally ridiculous) but it worked! The leaves had plenty of room to expand :-)

Okay, on to the tasting note….
Very, very nice. The dry smell is quite a bit milder? than some of the other milk oolongs I’ve had. Not nearly as vegetal.

Leaves opened nicely on the first steep – about 80%ish after 4 min. Fully opened after a longer second steep. Planning on trying a third steep in a little bit.

Taste: This is smooth and creamy, like a milk oolong should be. Not as vegetal as some others I’ve tried (I’m looking at you, Dobra), and not nearly as fussy. Pleasantly toasty, smooth, lightly nutty, and easy to brew – even if you’re limited in your supplies. Seriously, I just steeped this in a 32oz measuring cup.

Final verdict: YUM!

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Love the MacGuyver-ing going on at work! :-)