Quangzhou Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
Butter, Milk, Cream, Caramel, Smooth, Spinach
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Indulge

This ultra-rare oolong from the Wuyi Mountains of China is velvety smooth and lightly creamy, with a subtle hint of orchid. It’s said that it came about when the moon fell in love with a comet. The comet passed her by, as comets will do. The moon cried milky tears, which chilled the tea fields, withering the leaves and giving them a delicate creaminess. It’s been a rare luxury ever since.

Ingredients: Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Mmmm. Still a favorite for me.

The website now specifies that this contains “natural flavouring”, which makes sense because no way would it be so creamy and delicious without a bit of help!

And it is. Like creamy, melted butter, with a definite vegetal background, but one I can certainly handle.

If I think about it, it kind of tastes like steamed spinach with loads of butter, which is something I enjoy….but I’d never have thought I’d want to DRINK that.

Weird. I usually drink it without thinking too much about the details, so the spinach thing doesn’t ever cross my mind.

My mind just sits there going “mmmmmmm butter”

That’s what spinach is anyway, right? A butter delivery vessel?

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Spinach

I was really excited to try this tea, as I’ve been getting to like Oolongs a lot, and had yet to try a milk oolong.

Wow! It really tastes like… milk! Mind you, I haven’t drank a glass of milk in years, so I don’t exactly remember what it tastes like, but it was definitely very reminiscent. Unfortunately, I really don’t like milk, so in turn I really didn’t like this tea.

What I expected was more of an oolong with a light creamy taste over the floral tones, but I got no floral tones and kind of an overhaul of this weird milky flavour. Other users have noted it tasted/smelled like butter, which I can agree with too.

This is the first Oolong I’ve hated, but I guess I’ve learned to stay away from milk Oolongs and stick to more floral ones. I’m returning the 50g I bought of this and I’ll get something new.

I’m kind of disappointed because if I DID like it I was going to mix it with my vanilla oolong from DavidsTea, which I thought would have been pretty tasty. For those of you who do like milk oolongs maybe you could try this combo for me ;) haha

momo

Haha, this is one of my favorite oolongs, and I wasn’t a fan of the vanilla one the first time I tried it. I may give that a try though!

noordelijk

The vanilla is okay. It tastes like vanilla more than anything else. I think it’s more worthwhile to mix with a better Oolong, just to mix up the flavours. @Amanda

Kittenna

Perhaps give Teavivre’s natural milk oolong a shot? It might be more of what you’re looking for. I personally really like the strong milky flavour, but Teavivre’s doesn’t have that.

Kittenna

Also – you should try to swap away this tea if you can, instead of returning it, because they just throw it out :( I’m positive there would be someone on here willing to trade you for it. I’m tempted to volunteer myself, since I’m out of it at the moment and adore it.

noordelijk

I think I’m just gonna stay away from milk Oolongs haha, but thanks for the suggestion @Kittena!
And unfortunately I already returned it. :( I needed the money to get some new straight oolong from Teavana.

Meh. For a milky oolong anyhow. Not that it was bad, much better than the first time I tried the DT version!! I think it was oversteeped then and in fact may have been scorched this time to boot. The sweetness tasted a tad artificial, almost as if the lactose was infused into the leaves- which I know some tea houses do.
Nonetheless, I will not be purchasing any because I know how much better it can be! once you go high quality, it’s hard to go back! my commitment to loose-leaf in general is proof of that :)
I will concede however, that this is a very good starter Milky Oolong, and pure tea for those who are new. If I hadn’t sampled other versions, this would be it for me!

Jessie

I agree. I loved this stuff when I first had it but tried some better-quality ones (which make me believe this one definitely does have something added before it gets to DT) and this is just sitting on my shelf, neglected.

Indigobloom

Glad I’m not the only one to think so!! I think the worst part for me was that this was not the first MO I tried so when I did it was a big letdown

QuiltGuppy

I also agree with you. It’s not a bad tea, but it pales in comparison to others.

Indigobloom

Yes it really does!! the ATR version is SO good… forever grateful for that one!

Number 3 from the pile my cousin picked up.
Another go at an unflavoured oolong. Tung ting failed me when I bought 50g, but was great in the sample I got.

The dry notes smell delicious, milky & sweet with a hint of orchid. I am not a fan of floral teas, but maybe every other aspect will come out.

I used two perfect teaspoons instead of my usual 3. So far so good! Creamy & milky with just a slight lingering orchid taste.
Really enjoying this so far.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

You usually use 3 teaspoons?! :O

tattooed_tea

Haha yes! I like my tea flavourful & strong.
I know It’s a tea crime & I never do a second steep.

My husband and I have picked up tennis! We went shopping for new tennis rackets and then immediately went to a local park to play. I’ve never played tennis before, and I’m usually quite afraid of any sports involving balls flying at my face. My sports are swimming and horseback riding! But we wanted to start doing something new and he was practically begging me to play with him, so I decided to give it a shot.

And you know what? Tennis is really fun! My racket is pink and has a panther on it. And it only cost $20!!! My new workout shirt cost more than the racket! Why is workout clothing so expensive? Well, whatever sweat whisking properties it claimed to have were put to the test, and it seemed to work as advertised. I think half the fun of tennis is wearing the cute outfit. ;)

Anyway, this is a tea note not a sport note. But I just wanted to share my new experience with y’all! I see a lot more afternoons at the tennis court in our future. Maybe we’ll even make friends and then we can play doubles! I wish we could join a fancy country club. Then we could have afternoon tea too! Oh well, one can dream. :)

On to the tea!

The dry leaf aroma is mouthwateringly creamy and very strong. The brewed tea aroma is calmer, green oolong with a hint of something more. Mmm, this is super creamy and delicious! The aftertaste is surprisingly very akin to milk. I’ve only tried one other milk oolong before from Teavivre. This DAVIDsTEA version is much milkier and is also richer and deeper in flavor. I thought 4 minutes might be too long, but this is perfect just the way it is. Uber yummy! I hope it re-steeps well because I am going to thoroughly enjoy this for the rest of the day. :)

I am a sucker for oolong, as it is one of my favorite types of tea. A really detailed and vibrant oolong tea seems hard to come by, as I have had numerous weak and disappointing brands.

This tea is a luxury all its own, with no sweetener or milk. Rich, velvety, buttery soft and smooth, it stays true to it’s name. There is a nice balanced milky flavor that gives an outstanding creamy silky texture that envelopes you, as you’re lost in wondrously light and fluffy thoughts.

The leaves have a slight vegetal aroma, which gave me a bit of a worry for the taste, but I suspect if I steeped it’s recommended time of four minutes, those vegetal flavors would kick in.

This oolong is a very nice and welcome surprise, and I do expect to lose myself in it’s buttery goodness more often.

My family just went on a cruise vacation with a stop in Halifax which has a Davidstea! It was my first time setting foot in an actual store and now I know why Steepsterites rave about it over Teavana. The staff was sooo nice and didn’t upsell. I bought a few teas while I was there and the guy gave me a free to-go cup on the house. I requested that he give me his favorite and this was it.

It was really yummy and perfect for the slightly dreary morning we encountered there. I had the first steep, and then got some more hot water for a second. I also managed to get the empty (except for the leaves) cup onto the ship and had a third while reading. Really yummy and I’ll certainly pick up some to have on hand at home where we are sadly lacking a physical Davidstea location.

Indigobloom

love milky oolong! though I find the DT version is my third or fourth favourite (out of many more lol)

jeweledthumb

@indigobloom I’m curious to hear your first and second favorites!

Tealizzy

Tealux has a really good one. :)

Smells so good! Almost creamy. I’m excited for this one. I got the Tung Ting Vietnam because they were out of this last week and ended up loving it. I was over the moon they had this one today.

Also, I wrapped up a mango pit in a wet paper towel a few days ago and it’s sprouting – yay!

I am really enjoying these plain oolongs much more so than the flavoured ones. This is another hit. I can see myself keeping this one around. Perhaps this or Tung Ting Vietnam. Whichever they have in stock at the time :)

CharlotteZero

I was rereading this because you swapped this sample with me. I need to know, what’s the sprouted mango pit for?

Courtney

Haha it’s nothing to do with the tea, just a little story because I was excited about it :P I really didn’t expect anything when I wrapped it up in wet paper towel on a whim.

CharlotteZero

Ah. I was wondering what someone was doing trying to grow mangoes in Canada…LOL.

my first milk oolong. thanks cash c:
yep, I’m diggin’ this. must try more milk oolongs.

Cash & Chris

ugh the best tea.

This is still my go-to “antidepressant” tea, at least when I can have caffeine (so before about 6pm), and this is definitely one of those times when I needed a cup of comfort with a bit of a “stop dragging my butt” boost without causing jitters.

Really not having a good time of things as far as aftermath of my coming out. Today was the first day I’ve been home when my family has been for more than a few minutes since coming home after giving them the letter, and there’s been nothing nice said to me. DAd’s out somewhere, and I’m stuck home with mom and my sister, and every half hour or so one of them comes down to my room to tear me a new one. So hot comfort was very much needed.

Out of the milk oolongs I’ve tried, this is my favourite. It’s the creamiest and sweetest, without being overwhelming. A soft floral note comes through, though I wouldn’t call it orchid as the description suggests. More like…magnolia, with a bit of honeysuckle thrown into the mix. It’s sweet, like whipped cream, and the light floral notes cut the sweetness just enough so that the flavour lingers without coating the tongue for hours on end.

Sipping it makes me feel like I’m being hugged by a long lost friend, or that I’m floating on a big fluffy cloud. It’s comforting, makes me smile, and makes the world seem a little less dark and evil. So really, it’s no wonder why I keep stocked up on it and always reach for it when I need that cup of compassion.

hugs
I’m so glad you have tea as a comfort. I know it’s helped me on many an occasion. Feel free to pm me if you need to talk

Bear With Me

I wish you lived closer because I could really use a hug. A real one, not a cup of tea one. I can’t even keep tea down tonight, this anxiety attack is that bad. :(

Ellyn

You do not know me outside of tealand here – but I do wish you the best. I have suffered anxiety in the past and I know hard it can be. For me anxiety is a visceral physical response in addition to the mental response. PLEASE look into all options – perhaps a counsler (esp. if you have health insurance) as well as other remedies including meditation. This may sound hokey but in addition to working towards resolution of the issues facing you you can also work on dealing with the anxiety. You can PM me if you want – my heart goes out to you and know you have someone in MA thinking about you!

Indigobloom

I wish I live closer to! virtual hugs just aren’t the same