Quangzhou Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Natural Flavours, Oolong Tea
Butter, Milk, Cream, Caramel, Smooth, Spinach
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

From DAVIDsTEA

Indulge

This ultra-rare oolong from the Wuyi Mountains of China is velvety smooth and lightly creamy, with a subtle hint of orchid. It’s said that it came about when the moon fell in love with a comet. The comet passed her by, as comets will do. The moon cried milky tears, which chilled the tea fields, withering the leaves and giving them a delicate creaminess. It’s been a rare luxury ever since.

Ingredients: Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I decided to try some of the different milk oolongs I had today. This was the first. It smells nice. Steeped 195/2 min. The milky scent is still there, but I’m not finding the richness in the taste. The tantalizing scent is there, but then it seems to lack the flavorful follow up. It’s nutty, but not as creamy as I had hoped.

The second steep confirms the lack of creaminess. I’ll try adding more leaf on my next go.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Have you tired the Milk Oolong from ThePuriTea yet?

QuiltGuppy

Yes and sadly they’re sold out of it. My two favorites are thepuritea’s and American Tea Room’s milk oolong. Thepuritea’s has more of a delicate fruitiness to it, whereas ATR’s is ultra creamy. Both are wonderful. I also tried Théodor’s Milky Oolong today, but I haven’t written a review for it just yet.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Great, I was just curious. I thought you had requested it in your order but felt like I had seen a review yet.

Mmmm….wow! I bought some of this today at the Westboro Ottawa shop. The smell of the tea was heady and aromatic in the store. I couldn’t quite believe this was unscented, as the tea had a delicious condensed milk smell with very little green to it. A colleague at work came up with the same description “condensed milk” without prompting. Maybe we’re psychic…or maybe it is just very accurate.

This evening I pulled it out and started steeping. The first infusion was very pale and very fragrant, although the liquor was not nearly as full bodied as the aroma. I expect this often on a first infusion, and I was looking forward to the second.

Second infusion – WOW, This was it. A delicious, sweet, milky oolong like you’ve never tasted. Some floral coming through as undertones, but primarily sweet, milk, and some caramel. The liquor is rich and coats your mouth like a good scotch.

I’m now on infusion three, and the milkiness has yet to betray me. I may be in love. swoon

My only criticism – the steep time on the bag is far too long and it doesn’t mention multiple infusions. (Mine was about 90 s to 2 min at 90 C – ipad is not happy with the slider bars below).

Ok so my Davids FINALLY got this back in stock. I had been trying to buy some for over a month, first at the family and friends sale, second with a few gift cards I got for christmas. I’m so happy its back though, this is by far my favorite straight tea!

I’ve been drinking it a lot since then. It is buttery and sweet, with a slight sourness as well. My hubby actually likes it too, which is great because oolong is a nice tea to drink straight. I have a tin of it now so I think it will be a regular everyday tea for us from now on.

Trying this tea, BTVSgal was kind enough to give me a sample of it. I really wasn’t in the writing mood BUT this tea is so good and I found the heaviness of the “cream” so interesting, that I had to give it a quick review.
The tea has a floral scent almost like the water in the middle of boiling a jasmine rice.. The first infusion was wonderful, the leaves unfurled nicely in a gaiwan. It’s so thick on your tongue, slight milky flavor, little touch of spinach, great toasty oolong flavor. The second infusion was just as heavy to sip, same milky and roasts oolong flavor but less of the green type flavorings.
It’s so pleasant, I hope to get one or two more steeps out of these leaves. It really reminds me of an intriguing white tea almost, but the oolong is definetly there.
Yum!

This is another tea sample sent to me by the generous Aisling of Tea. I must say, I might be changing my mind on oolongs. I have to be in the mood for them, mostly afternoon or evening it seems. They just don’t pack enough punch for me for a morning cuppa.

When I opened my sample of this, I immediately smelled sweet cream, rather than a proper milk scent, which doesn’t necessarily upset me. The brewed tea smelled like warm milk, rather than of sweet cream. The taste? Ye gods, the taste. It tastes milky, with a vegetal contribution from the green oolong (my first green oolong, if I’m not mistaken). The mouth feel is heavy, rather like milk, it sort of coats the mouth and leaves that after-feel of coatedness, but no funky aftertaste.

Steeped 2t in 500 ml water in the Breville at 90C for 4 minutes. I definitely plan on resteeping shortly.

aisling of tea

I adore this oolong. Love, love, love.

SIP DOWN!

Backlogging this one. It was one of those sample packs that I got with my order. To keep it short, it was a very enjoyable tea. Smooth, creamy, sweet, and with a touch of orchid. The only down side is that I wish it was a little more complex, but it was still very enjoyable.

Here is my full review here:

Specifics

Pot: Porcelain
Water: 8oz per steep
Leaf: 1.5 tsp (5 grams)
Steep Time: 2 minuets (then added 30 sec each steep)
Sweetener: Don’t need it

This is my favourite Oolong, and that’s saying something coming from a girl who hates milk. I love seeing the little balls of dry leave expand into beautiful large leaves so I don’t have it in a strainer or teabag. The floral and grassy smell mixes with the milky smell in the right way to make this tea appealing to someone who dislikes milk on it’s own. There isn’t a way to explain the feeling this tea gives to my taste-buds other than pure pleasure. this cup is such a soothing way to help me relax after a long day.

TheTeaFairy

I so hate milk also! But this tea brings me to cloud nine :-)

nwolf93

Isn’t it just amazing?

I want to preface this by saying that this is the first milk oolong I’ve ever tried.

The leaves, dry , are tightly pressed into uniform size but not shape, and there’s definitely a different scent to them – not anything I’d ever associate with tea. Creamy is one word I might associate with it, but I don’t think that’s right. It almost smells like rice pudding simmering on the stove.

The leaves in the tasting cup are about an inch or two long, with ragged edges and a dark green, spinach-y color. The rice scent intensifies, but there’s also a more vegetal, typical “oolong” scent as well.

The liquor is pale yellow, and the rice/pasta scent comes out more strongly here. I can’t say it’s appealing to me. It subsides on later steeps and I sort of start to see where the floral notes other people seem to taste come out, but it still doesn’t taste right to me.

Up for swap if anyone wants!

Ian

I would love to swap for this! PM me and we can work something out!

Lynne-tea

Ohh I am drinking that right now and it’s so buttery and delicious! I need to buy more.. I wish I disliked this as you do. It would save me oodles of money on oolong!

Another one I had over break. It was really good, but I didn’t see much to distinguish it over the Vanilla Orchid, which is not insignificantly cheaper, so I might just stick with that…