Wild Black Yunnan

Cocoa, Malt, Earth, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Mmmm... Thanks again *CrowKettle* for getting me to try this tea! :O Now I know I love Yunnan teas. I even over-steeped this one and it was still great, albeit a bit malty. (Sidenote: albeit is a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1617 tasting notes
  • “Giving this tea more props today. While it is pricey, it is delicious. It can take a beating and not get bitter, and it is very rich and cocoa with a hint of pepper underneath that. Could be my...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 682 tasting notes
  • “Guuuuuuuuh!!! This is so amazing! How much is this? Is it a lot? I need to a buy a giant tin of this, and then another tin so the first tin can have a friend! Oh, it’s somewhat expensive... Maybe...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 487 tasting notes
  • “This is really quite good. I had a couple cups yesterday and then the last of my bag today - one cup and one re-steep each time. Delicious sweet potato notes - rich and sweet with a bit of earthy...” Read full tasting note
    caile 155 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

How tea should taste
In Yunnan province in southern China, ancient tea trees still grow wild in the forests. They can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Purists rave about the rich brown colour of the steeped tea, the aroma of sweet forest floor, the clean, natural finish. Our wild black Yunnan uses small, new leaves plucked from wild-growing trees, tightly twisted to preserve their natural flavour.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This smells and tastes just like baked goods to me. Like… a baked pretzel or some kind of dark bread. I’ve never really had a tea like this before! There’s no bitterness and little astringency, and it has a really clean finish. I guess since it tastes like bread I would describe it as malty? I was so surprised by the taste but I like it.

I bought 50g of this tea when I was in Boston in August. First time at a David’s Tea house (and so far my only time). It was a nice experience, although a little generic (replace tea with anything else and you wouldn’t feel the difference). This is a very good Yunnan, albeit a bit on the shy size. Err on the side of over-steeping, or add more leaves than you normally would. Chocolate, honey, maple combined together to make a sweet and oily tea with a lingering sweet aftertaste. Like all Yunnans, this is not a strong black tea. I have tasted better Yunnans (F&M, for example), but this is a cheaper, more accessible (for US buyers) option, and is slightly better than “good enough”.

Definitely not as strong as the Coffee Pu-erh I had yesterday, but this was still a nice, mild, clean tasting cuppa. More details and rating on it later when I have it again. This was a backlog from this morning.

I made this in my thermos at work, and was in /heaven/. I’d forgotten what it was like to have a Yunnan in my cupboard.

Not a touch of bitterness at all, and I remember there being a toasted marshmallow sweetness. Not strong and peppery, this one. A better note will come when I get a chance to sit down with a cup in front of Steepster.

Innnnnteresting.

I got a small sample of this leaf from DJ Booth (thanks!) in exchange for some Black Dragon (I hope you like it!) and I’m glad for the chance to try it.

The dry leaf has almost no aroma at all.

The wet leaf has a strong earthy smell, but more like a wuyi oolong than a pu-erh. That odd kind of pong that some oolong get. I’ve mentioned it on other notes on other teas.

Oddly, the cup itself is not entirely unlike Yunnan golden, just a bit more umph and a bit less fruit. In fact, it tastes almost exactly like what you’d get if you blended wuyi oolong leaf with Yunnan golden.

I’m not 100% sure the combination works for my tastes. But this is great leaf and I’m looking forward to cycling through all the steepings for more insights. I find first steep is rarely typical.

My gaiwan is finally here. EXCITEMENT! Since I have the day off to laze around, drink tea and play video games, I want to try all the teas I currently have, gongfu style. Wild Black Yunnan come on down! You’re the next contestant on “watch Lindsay pour hot water all over the floor!”

1st infusion (post rinse):2 rounded tsp per 250 ml gaiwan, 95C water, 1 min.
This thing is tricky. I did spill about half of the first infusion, but that was to be expected. This tastes more smooth and mellow, even a bit sweet, compared to how I brew tea normally (western). I’m also not getting as many wine notes as usually, which is great because I hate wine. I’ll update this as I progress through more steeps.

2nd round, 90 sec: Just as good as the first! I like this tea much more with this brewing method.

Unfortunately, with my poor rinsing skills this tea only got to three steeps.

A full-flavored, all-round balanced tea that went well for me in the morning and something I would happily drink in the afternoon. It could work well both as a sipper and as something you’d sit down to appreciate for flavor.

There is definitely a touch of honey in smelling the cup but I could also smell hoppy notes. It tastes pleasantly bitter which translates into smooth coating bitterness in aftertaste. Again I can’t help but compare it with good ale aftertaste and hoppy lager coated glass smell. I haven’t noticed any mentioned smokiness or sweetness but there is definitely “this is what black tea should taste like” aspect to it.

In gaiwan it resteepeed graciously for about 5 times, after that keeping the color, flavor starts to diminish which I found perfect for washing off the strong taste of this tea from previous infusions. Interestingly enough the pleasant aftertaste stays for a long time. Overall I did about 10 infusions and latter ones were interesting on it’s own. Overall lightness of those brings out notes very well.

I made note to self that first infusions need to be kept to a short time in order to avoid overpowering bitterness and to appreciate delicate balance of flavor of this tea.

My favourite straight black so far. Earthy, smoky taste that reminds me of lapsang, but no bitterness and not overpowering. I can see it getting bitter if you oversteep it, and I’m not sure how it’s going to resteep. One steep wonder?

Now if only I could get my mother to switch to this from Red Rose . . .

I wasn’t sure how much I’d like this so I only bought 25g. It turned out to be a great purchase and I’ll be sure to buy more when I’m through the bag.

It’s smooth, a bit spicy and malty, and earthy. What a wonderful experience. :)

My first straight black! I bought 10g of this along with 10g each of their Nepal Black, Shikubo Sencha, and Gyokuro…. And I’m trying this one first! Making an attempt to get into straight teas c;

First thing I notice is that its ridiculously sweet! I kind of can’t believe it. Its like an earthy, caramel-honey flavour with a hint of earthy grass – no bitterness at all. Sort of simple flavour profile. Hot damn.

I realize DavidsTea isn’t the best, but at least now I know that Yunnan style blacks are something I should continue to try! Really delicious.

Edit: Getting a bit of this weird cocoa and coffee nib aftertaste now, hmm