Wild Black Yunnan

Organic Black Tea
Broth, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet, Tobacco, Vegetables, Chocolate, Coffee, Astringent, Sweet Potatoes, Cocoa, Wood
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Mmmm… Thanks again CrowKettle for getting me to try this tea! :O Now I know I love Yunnan teas. I even over-steeped this one and it was still great, albeit a bit malty. ...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1764 tasting notes
  • “Giving this tea more props today. While it is pricey, it is delicious. It can take a beating and not get bitter, and it is very rich and cocoa with a hint of pepper underneath that. Could be my...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 704 tasting notes
  • “Guuuuuuuuh!!! This is so amazing! How much is this? Is it a lot? I need to a buy a giant tin of this, and then another tin so the first tin can have a friend! Oh, it’s somewhat expensive…...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 536 tasting notes
  • “This is really quite good. I had a couple cups yesterday and then the last of my bag today – one cup and one re-steep each time. Delicious sweet potato notes – rich and sweet with a...” Read full tasting note
    caile 215 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

How tea should taste
In Yunnan province in southern China, ancient tea trees still grow wild in the forests. They can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Purists rave about the rich brown colour of the steeped tea, the aroma of sweet forest floor, the clean, natural finish. Our wild black Yunnan uses small, new leaves plucked from wild-growing trees, tightly twisted to preserve their natural flavour.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I dunno if I’ve lost my palette for black tea, but lately anything that isn’t smokey as hell or some punch-in-the-face-plus-butter Scottish Breakfast stuff tastes kind of the same to me. Or maybe I just burned my tongue, so there’s that.

Some time tomorrow I’m going to sit down with a cup of this and not do anything else but sip and relax, because I’m mussing some of the best parts of this tea. Occasionally I get a good sweetness like everyone else mentions, and the leaf has a clear cocoa smell, but I’m just not tasting it and I really think it’s me. The first time I brewed it, I tasted something like mushrooms and something unrefined and half-vegetal that I’m tempted to call forestal that I sort of like.

I’ll give this another shot, but I’m trying a cup of any of David’s blacks before buying them from now on.

Edit: Gave it another shot. Still not a huge fan. If anyone has a comparable-quality tea or something, I probably still have 40 grams left. Just not feeling it.

Edit 2: I’ve been ignoring this one for weeks since I was kind of disappointed with it and Verdant Tea’s $5 sampler has been keeping me busy. I came back to it with pretty much no expectations, and it actually has a decent mushroomy smell and taste to it. Still kind of expensive for what you get, but I like it better than I did.

I guess you can categorize this as a standard black tea. I found this tea to be sweet, like DAVIDsTEA Nepal Black tea. I enjoyed the lighter taste that I get. It’s not bitter at all and has a nice fruity smell attached. It remains neutral with me—mainly because I am not a huge black tea fan. However, don’t let my opinion sway you away from this tea. If I were to recommend a black tea, this would be one of them!

This is “how tea should taste” as indicated on its label. I’ve now gone through 300g in 5 weeks… IMO it’s the best black tea you can get outside of China!

Picked this up on a whim as a reward tea without having tried it. It sounded intriguing, and I’m glad I gave it a shot. It’s mild and pleasant, and has a wholly unique taste to any other black teas I’ve had. It’s got a nice savoury flavour, with sweet hints and undertones of earth and dirt (not in a gross way). I like it!

Flavors: Broth, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

I ordered 100g of this along with Nepal Black and Kenyan Tindaret also from Davids Tea. I brewed in a 32oz cast iron pot at 93c for just over 5 minutes. First impression was the gorgeous golden/honey color of this tea after steeping. Aroma and flavor are delicious – subtle notes of forest/vegetation and a really satisfying sweet/malty body. Finish is really smooth. The main event is the natural sweetness of this tea (I don’t use milk/sweeteners). Not a hit of bitterness present, I will probably try a longer steep next time. I plan to keep this around.

Flavors: Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Tobacco, Vegetables

Finishing off this sample from Anlina. This is a very nice yunnan black, lots of aroma and flavour. I’m getting malt, crusty brown bread, something spicy, and that honey sweetness that I associate with Chinese black teas. As it cools I’m getting a bit of acidity or fruitiness. I think I might buy more of this, next time David’s has a sale. :)

My thought on first sipping this was, “wow, one of those teas!” Translation: rich, malty, chocolatey, not bracing, but full and satisfying. It almost has coffee overtones as it cools. Take note though: one steep and you’re through. The second go-around on this had nothing to recommend it. I’m finding that David’s flavored teas do nothing for me, but certain carefully selected straight blacks are pretty darn good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Malt

Day #5 of the advent calendar FINALLY gives me a black tea. Yay. And a straight one, at that. This is pretty good – not my favourite straight black tea that DavidsTea makes (possibly due to the slight malty flavour I’m getting out of this), but I definitely will enjoy this cup this morning.

Mmm tasty. Broth-like, malty, just a hint of astringency and pleasantly mouth-filling.

Flavors: Astringent, Broth, Malt

I’m not a super huge fan of this tea, but it’s OK. It smells really honey-malty, which I do love. :)

I steeped with heaping teaspoons of tea for a short amount of time. I might do one more steep before I switch over to non-caffeinated.

(The only reason I chose this one is because it doesn’t really call for milk, IMO… and I’m out of milk. Outside clothes vs plain tea? Plain tea wins. :) )

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

learn to drink moar teas without milk!

OMGsrsly

But I love milks.

Bear With Me

Keep powdered milk in the cupboard for milky emergencies?

OMGsrsly

I do have powdered milk but I don’t really like how it tastes. Nothing wrong with drinking plain teas every once in a while! (Powdered milks are for camping…)