Wild Black Yunnan

Cocoa, Malt, Earth, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Mmmm... Thanks again *CrowKettle* for getting me to try this tea! :O Now I know I love Yunnan teas. I even over-steeped this one and it was still great, albeit a bit malty. (Sidenote: albeit is a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1680 tasting notes
  • “Giving this tea more props today. While it is pricey, it is delicious. It can take a beating and not get bitter, and it is very rich and cocoa with a hint of pepper underneath that. Could be my...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 688 tasting notes
  • “Guuuuuuuuh!!! This is so amazing! How much is this? Is it a lot? I need to a buy a giant tin of this, and then another tin so the first tin can have a friend! Oh, it’s somewhat expensive... Maybe...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 495 tasting notes
  • “This is really quite good. I had a couple cups yesterday and then the last of my bag today - one cup and one re-steep each time. Delicious sweet potato notes - rich and sweet with a bit of earthy...” Read full tasting note
    caile 164 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

How tea should taste
In Yunnan province in southern China, ancient tea trees still grow wild in the forests. They can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Purists rave about the rich brown colour of the steeped tea, the aroma of sweet forest floor, the clean, natural finish. Our wild black Yunnan uses small, new leaves plucked from wild-growing trees, tightly twisted to preserve their natural flavour.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I dunno if I’ve lost my palette for black tea, but lately anything that isn’t smokey as hell or some punch-in-the-face-plus-butter Scottish Breakfast stuff tastes kind of the same to me. Or maybe I just burned my tongue, so there’s that.

Some time tomorrow I’m going to sit down with a cup of this and not do anything else but sip and relax, because I’m mussing some of the best parts of this tea. Occasionally I get a good sweetness like everyone else mentions, and the leaf has a clear cocoa smell, but I’m just not tasting it and I really think it’s me. The first time I brewed it, I tasted something like mushrooms and something unrefined and half-vegetal that I’m tempted to call forestal that I sort of like.

I’ll give this another shot, but I’m trying a cup of any of David’s blacks before buying them from now on.

Edit: Gave it another shot. Still not a huge fan. If anyone has a comparable-quality tea or something, I probably still have 40 grams left. Just not feeling it.

Edit 2: I’ve been ignoring this one for weeks since I was kind of disappointed with it and Verdant Tea’s $5 sampler has been keeping me busy. I came back to it with pretty much no expectations, and it actually has a decent mushroomy smell and taste to it. Still kind of expensive for what you get, but I like it better than I did.

I guess you can categorize this as a standard black tea. I found this tea to be sweet, like DAVIDsTEA Nepal Black tea. I enjoyed the lighter taste that I get. It’s not bitter at all and has a nice fruity smell attached. It remains neutral with me—mainly because I am not a huge black tea fan. However, don’t let my opinion sway you away from this tea. If I were to recommend a black tea, this would be one of them!

This is “how tea should taste” as indicated on its label. I’ve now gone through 300g in 5 weeks… IMO it’s the best black tea you can get outside of China!

I cooked a nice breakfast for my folks this morning, & mine included this tea, from the BBBB Grab bag, thanks to Tasty Brew.
This is a tasty cup of earth, tree, & cocoa :)

It’s kinda too hot to drink tea, but I felt like I should drink tea, so grabbed one of the last samples from Davids that I had gotten. Big Apple and an Oolong from Cavo are also on my list of trying today, so we’ll see how that goes. Lol!
Brewed this has a malty sort of smell. Taste wise it’s kinda malty-ish, earthy, with a bit of wood chip tossed in. I don’t get any chocolate, but then I don’t think I’ve ever gotten chocolate out of a straight tea before. It’s just a smidge bitter, but that could also be from overleafing since I had to guess at a 12oz portion. (My brain didn’t want to do math this morning apparently. Lol!) I’m wondering if this might be better as an iced tea, so I might let this cup go cold and then try some ice in it. Not sure yet.
All in all I’m not really that impressed with this tea. I have Yunnans in my stash that I’d reach for before I’d grab this one again. So this can go in the swap/sell bin.
(1 3/4 tsp)

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

i think my tastebuds are not in sync with the rest of the world. I’ve tried a number of straight David’s teas now and i pretty much hate them all. Price for what you’re getting is not that great and the teas themselves are always on the end of yuck for me versus YAY! take this one for example, sent in the grab bag of the BBB Box. The instructions for this tea say basically boiling for 4-5 mins. I brewed it at 3 and i’m left with a gross bitter, astringent tea that leaves a foul taste in my mouth. It doesn’t smell nice and while i can recognize the malt notes in the background of the blech, it’s not enough to make me want to play with this tea at all, especially given the price – 9.50 for 100g! jeeebus. no way.

Cavocorax

I think your problem is that you are trying these AFTER you’ve tried the best versions of these teas, while (I imagine)a lot of the people who try these from DAVIDs are curious noobs looking to branch out/experiment with unflavoured teas. I wonder how my ratings would compare now if I went back and tried them again!

Cavocorax

Still, after comparing your experience with my review I am a little surprised that it was so bitter and astringent! :|

i wouldn’t serve this to anyone lol

“What’s in your cup?”
This morning, courtesy of Natalie & DAVIDsTEA, I brewed Wild Black Yunnan Western style: 1.25 tsp (3.5g) / 8 oz / 208*F / 4-6 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.

Leaf: Fine, twisted, dark brown, mostly short, but some as long as 2.5 mm
Fragrance: Notes fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: Beautiful clear dark copper
Aroma: Sweet potatoes & caramel
Flavor: Cocoa & malt

4-min.: Moderately full-bodied, I then let it steep an additional min.

5-min.: A rich, smooth, full-bodied malty tea with potent cocoa and notes of sweet potatoes with a mild sweetness. There was no hint of bitterness or astringency.

6-min Re-steep: Too light so I let it steep another 4 minutes.
10-min. Re-steep: Light-to-medium bodied with a much softer cocoa flavor but still enjoyable with a smooth mild sweetness.

Impression: A very enjoyable breakfast tea especially for malty cocoa lovers.

Thanks to Natalie & DAVIDsTEA for their gracious sample of this very fine Wild Black Yunnan.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a brew basket http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/29177-finum-brewing-basket.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

5 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sounds beautiful.
I hope, someday, I will be able to write such excellent reviews
Mine are a bit simplistic compared to yours ;-)

looseTman

Thank you! However, there are many ways to write informative reviews from highly detailed to very concise.

You are very kind

CelebriTEA

I love your profile pic…
I just noticed you spoke of the Nut hatch in your profile.
Are you and your wife both bird watchers?
I love birds, but many I do not know by name.
I like to quiz my Dad on the names :-)
Birds are so beautiful…my Dad knows them by sight & sound.

looseTman

Yes, we are. I acquired a life-long intrest from my mom.

I’ve been awful at drinking my non-blended blacks. I’m a creature of habit – black tea is for CTC in bags with milk & sugar, and I keep thinking that the good stuff that you’re supposed to drink plain is going to be an assault on my tastebuds. I am aware that this is a terrible way to go through life (especially if you own as many of these nicer black teas as I do), so I made a conscious decision to try one of them today.

The dry leaf smells lightly forest-like, and the liquor chocolaty and earthy, with a rich brown color. It tastes less strong but more tart than I was expecting, with some bitterness and little astringency. The earthy and bark-like flavors become sweeter and a bit smoky in the aftertaste. It’s a lot more drinkable than I thought it would be, but I’m not sure it’s my thing. I bought it from a stash sale last summer (from Rachel of iHeartTeas, I believe) so it’s probably gone a bit stale. I might pick some up next time I’m in North America to see if I like it any better when it’s fresh. If anyone’s interested in the rest of the packet, let me know.

Flavors: Cocoa, Earth, Wood

Interesting. I get an almost musky, animalic aftertaste from this. A bit gamey. For that reason it seems like it would be a great match for a meal – not so much a tea biscuits and cookies type affair, but an actual meal (such as slow braised game meats.) Enjoyable.

Has a malty, earthy taste. You can almost taste the “wildness” of it. The brew is dark and strong, goes well with a bit of honey and milk. Re-steeped once, the brew was much less intense but still very flavourful.