Wild Black Yunnan

Organic Black Tea
Cocoa, Wet Earth, Broth, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet, Tobacco, Vegetables, Chocolate, Coffee, Astringent, Sweet Potatoes, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Mmmm… Thanks again CrowKettle for getting me to try this tea! :O Now I know I love Yunnan teas. I even over-steeped this one and it was still great, albeit a bit malty. ...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Giving this tea more props today. While it is pricey, it is delicious. It can take a beating and not get bitter, and it is very rich and cocoa with a hint of pepper underneath that. Could be my...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 707 tasting notes
  • “Guuuuuuuuh!!! This is so amazing! How much is this? Is it a lot? I need to a buy a giant tin of this, and then another tin so the first tin can have a friend! Oh, it’s somewhat expensive…...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 578 tasting notes
  • “This is really quite good. I had a couple cups yesterday and then the last of my bag today – one cup and one re-steep each time. Delicious sweet potato notes – rich and sweet with a...” Read full tasting note
    caile 239 tasting notes

How tea should taste
In Yunnan province in southern China, ancient tea trees still grow wild in the forests. They can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Purists rave about the rich brown colour of the steeped tea, the aroma of sweet forest floor, the clean, natural finish. Our wild black Yunnan uses small, new leaves plucked from wild-growing trees, tightly twisted to preserve their natural flavour.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I dunno if I’ve lost my palette for black tea, but lately anything that isn’t smokey as hell or some punch-in-the-face-plus-butter Scottish Breakfast stuff tastes kind of the same to me. Or maybe I just burned my tongue, so there’s that.

Some time tomorrow I’m going to sit down with a cup of this and not do anything else but sip and relax, because I’m mussing some of the best parts of this tea. Occasionally I get a good sweetness like everyone else mentions, and the leaf has a clear cocoa smell, but I’m just not tasting it and I really think it’s me. The first time I brewed it, I tasted something like mushrooms and something unrefined and half-vegetal that I’m tempted to call forestal that I sort of like.

I’ll give this another shot, but I’m trying a cup of any of David’s blacks before buying them from now on.

Edit: Gave it another shot. Still not a huge fan. If anyone has a comparable-quality tea or something, I probably still have 40 grams left. Just not feeling it.

Edit 2: I’ve been ignoring this one for weeks since I was kind of disappointed with it and Verdant Tea’s $5 sampler has been keeping me busy. I came back to it with pretty much no expectations, and it actually has a decent mushroomy smell and taste to it. Still kind of expensive for what you get, but I like it better than I did.

I guess you can categorize this as a standard black tea. I found this tea to be sweet, like DAVIDsTEA Nepal Black tea. I enjoyed the lighter taste that I get. It’s not bitter at all and has a nice fruity smell attached. It remains neutral with me—mainly because I am not a huge black tea fan. However, don’t let my opinion sway you away from this tea. If I were to recommend a black tea, this would be one of them!

This is “how tea should taste” as indicated on its label. I’ve now gone through 300g in 5 weeks… IMO it’s the best black tea you can get outside of China!

I really liked this one too. It’s got a nice malty and earthiness but very little earthiness to it. It’s so good. I added some sugar so a bit sweet, but good.

I’m not sure why I didn’t really like this tea the first time I tried it – I guess I wasn’t in a “tea mood”. At any rate, I resolved not to throw away perfectly “good tea” and to finish up the 24g sampler pack I got from David’s Tea.

I’m glad I did. The second time I tried it (a week later), I was surprised how much I liked the tea. It had a rich, earthy (but clean) flavour that felt good on my tongue. I savoured that after-dinner cup of tea and it left me with a satisfied feeling for quite a while. I just had it again today with the same level of enjoyment.

It’s a little pricey, but I think it’s definitely worth it. I look forward to trying other Yunnan teas from other suppliers in the future. In the meantime, I’m going to replace my current supply of this tea with a bigger bag from David’s Tea sometime soon.

Flavors: Cocoa, Wet Earth

Picked this up on a whim as a reward tea without having tried it. It sounded intriguing, and I’m glad I gave it a shot. It’s mild and pleasant, and has a wholly unique taste to any other black teas I’ve had. It’s got a nice savoury flavour, with sweet hints and undertones of earth and dirt (not in a gross way). I like it!

Flavors: Broth, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

I ordered 100g of this along with Nepal Black and Kenyan Tindaret also from Davids Tea. I brewed in a 32oz cast iron pot at 93c for just over 5 minutes. First impression was the gorgeous golden/honey color of this tea after steeping. Aroma and flavor are delicious – subtle notes of forest/vegetation and a really satisfying sweet/malty body. Finish is really smooth. The main event is the natural sweetness of this tea (I don’t use milk/sweeteners). Not a hit of bitterness present, I will probably try a longer steep next time. I plan to keep this around.

Flavors: Forest Floor, Hay, Honey, Malt, Tobacco, Vegetables

Michelle Butler Hallett

Wild-grown Yunnans are amazing. Verdant Tea in Minneapolis deals with a farmer/picker in China called Master Han. He has a secret location where he picks wild-grow Yunnan.

Michelle, how does this compare with other Yunnans you have tried? I’m interested in trying more. Thanks for the link!

Michelle Butler Hallett

Master Han’s? The last batch I had was richer than the DavidsTea Wild Yunnan. Each harvest is a bit different.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Here’s how I reviewed it maybe two years ago.

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @95C., steeped 6 minutes 30 seconds.

Ooops — got distracted again.

But that’s okay, because this tea yielded a deep grape note and a floral note, almost of wild roses, I’d not gotten before. There even seemed to be an echo of bergamot. And some molasses. Wow.

This is very… “earthy”. And peppery. And wee bit metallic. I don’t really have much to say, I feel like I’m having a completely different tea from the other reviews. No sweetness that’s for sure. It’s not unpleasant, but I’ve had other black teas I like a lot more, so I doubt I’d restock this.

Is the slightly metallic taste an interpretation of astringency?

Finishing off this sample from Anlina. This is a very nice yunnan black, lots of aroma and flavour. I’m getting malt, crusty brown bread, something spicy, and that honey sweetness that I associate with Chinese black teas. As it cools I’m getting a bit of acidity or fruitiness. I think I might buy more of this, next time David’s has a sale. :)

My thought on first sipping this was, “wow, one of those teas!” Translation: rich, malty, chocolatey, not bracing, but full and satisfying. It almost has coffee overtones as it cools. Take note though: one steep and you’re through. The second go-around on this had nothing to recommend it. I’m finding that David’s flavored teas do nothing for me, but certain carefully selected straight blacks are pretty darn good.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Malt