Kenyan Tinderet

Earth, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin, Malt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason... the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I've had in my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1341 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 752 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don't like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts, and it also kind of smells like...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 627 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it's bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I'll pass the other half of this sample on to *ozli*...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A decent tea, but not terribly exciting. Smooth, buttery. Accentuated by milk.

I was reading the, quite mixed, reviews on this one as I was letting my pot boil. I got more nervous as I realized that this seems to be a hit or a miss. I needed something on the more caffeinated side as I just arrived home from work and a delicious lunch with the boyfriend and have a large pile of work ahead of me for the rest of my day.

I thought I would end up putting milk or something in this but I am enjoying it enough straight. This is a pleasant surprise as I was under the impression I did not like many black teas, let one straight ones!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Alright. Tastes like black tea. Yay.

I tried this the other day after it was recommended by the two staff members who were working. The dry blend smells very earthy, nutty and smooth. I had mine with a bit of agave and soy milk and it was delicious. This tea was earthy and nutty but there was also a touch of sweetness. I would have this again and recommend giving this a try!

Flavors: Earth, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin

I received this as a free sample from my last Davids Tea order. I steeped it for about 2 minutes at 200 F as based on the reviews below they indicated the tea was really strong so I didn’t want to steep it for long. I found it tasted fishy like it tastes similar to my omegas 3 vitamins i take in the morning. Glad I only had a small sample of this rather than 50g. I am sure there are people who love this.

Got this one from the TTB I was in a few weeks ago. Been distracted with other teas so much lately that I almost forgot I had it! So finally trying it.
But ooo….this one….Almost too strong. 0_0
I steeped it for not even 4 minutes and holy shanghai…
It’s strong. Not bitter. But so strong that it’s almost inky… It tastes like ink, in the aftertaste a lot too. Oy.
I feel that I would have liked it otherwise…but it seriously tastes like ink.
Maybe a bad batch…not sure. But just…no…..Oy….

TeaBrat

yeah this was not a winner in my book either

Just got back from a camping trip with my sweetie and a bunch of his friends. We were up kind of late and I wanted a cup of tea when I got home, just to revive myself. This is one of 3 teas I got recently at David’s, but I only got 1 oz. of each since I’d never had them before.

My track record with Kenyan teas is not great and this is a CTC tea. Regardless I really wanted to try it in the hopes that I would like it.

Gah! This is very strong. The brew is pretty tannic and bitter, it was really undrinkable for me before I added sugar. After adding sugar, I am getting some malt notes as well as apple notes which are kinda tasty. I steeped this for 5 minutes but next time I will go for 4, or maybe even 3. It really packs a punch! Hopefully I can find a way to enjoy the 1 oz. I have.

Not recommended unless you’re a fan of strong tannic tea…

So good! I wonder if mine isn’t as fresh as others’ – I find this needs a lot of leaves and a good long steep or it just tastes watery. At any rate, once it’s done, it makes a nice strong tea that stands up well to milk and sugar. There’s a nice underlying sweetness so I use less sugar than I tend to do in black teas. I’m almost out now, and I’ll definitely be buying more.

Flavors: Sweet

The aroma of the brewed tea is very nice- caramel sweetness with a bit of umami. Slightly brisk with a dull bitterness. I would like to try to brew this one for less time. I can taste the flavour profile of the aroma in the background.

Tea & Cards Travelling teabox

I pulled this one out to give it a shot since i’m always commenting on how much i dislike David’s teas. In the grand scheme of things, while i like that they make it easier for ppl to get in to loose leaf, in the grand scheme of things i’ve never found their flavoured teas to be all that amazing (especially for the price) and their straight blacks have always been….well gross. But, i keep trying them in the hopes that someday..crap work. back to finish in a bit lol

Edit: so anyway…as i was saying. this is another example of how not to do things. I mean CTC’s are not my favourite but this is awful at a 2.5 min steep. i can’t imagine using their FOUR TO SEVEN MINUTE recommendation. this is like stale dark water. i dunno. just ick.

yyz

I know, the straight teas from one of the David’s closest to me mostly taste stale.

Nxtdoor

I guess I don’t find them that expensive, at an average of $6 for 2 oz. I know companies charging $5 for a half oz.

Nxtdoor

But I don’t drink their straight teas, only their juice stuff :)

i guess when i look at the flavoured teas i can get from some of my favourite places, they’re like 4$ for 50g whereas most of the flavoured i like form david’s are closer to 7 for 50, which is what i spend often on 100g.

Also, i’m equating them with teas that are on the lower/medium (eg. S&V; bayswater..) side of things….there are for sure flavoured and straight teas that are way more expensive, but they are generally teas i would drop into the “higher quality” side of things (butiki?)

David’s>Teavana but i’d still generally rather buy from other places…though david’s teaware is super fun :)

whatshesaid

I agree, though I still have a few faves :)
David’s>Adagio for me so far though

agreed whatshesad. i despise adagio. pain in the ass to get to canada and their black base is largely “the suck”