Kenyan Tinderet

Tannin, Malt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by kristinajanet14

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason... the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I've had in my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1290 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 696 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don't like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts, and it also kind of smells like...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 478 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it's bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I'll pass the other half of this sample on to *ozli*...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1630 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A decent tea, but not terribly exciting. Smooth, buttery. Accentuated by milk.

The aroma of the brewed tea is very nice- caramel sweetness with a bit of umami. Slightly brisk with a dull bitterness. I would like to try to brew this one for less time. I can taste the flavour profile of the aroma in the background.

Tea & Cards Travelling teabox

I pulled this one out to give it a shot since i’m always commenting on how much i dislike David’s teas. In the grand scheme of things, while i like that they make it easier for ppl to get in to loose leaf, in the grand scheme of things i’ve never found their flavoured teas to be all that amazing (especially for the price) and their straight blacks have always been….well gross. But, i keep trying them in the hopes that someday..crap work. back to finish in a bit lol

Edit: so anyway…as i was saying. this is another example of how not to do things. I mean CTC’s are not my favourite but this is awful at a 2.5 min steep. i can’t imagine using their FOUR TO SEVEN MINUTE recommendation. this is like stale dark water. i dunno. just ick.

yyz

I know, the straight teas from one of the David’s closest to me mostly taste stale.

Nxtdoor

I guess I don’t find them that expensive, at an average of $6 for 2 oz. I know companies charging $5 for a half oz.

Nxtdoor

But I don’t drink their straight teas, only their juice stuff :)

i guess when i look at the flavoured teas i can get from some of my favourite places, they’re like 4$ for 50g whereas most of the flavoured i like form david’s are closer to 7 for 50, which is what i spend often on 100g.

Also, i’m equating them with teas that are on the lower/medium (eg. S&V; bayswater..) side of things….there are for sure flavoured and straight teas that are way more expensive, but they are generally teas i would drop into the “higher quality” side of things (butiki?)

David’s>Teavana but i’d still generally rather buy from other places…though david’s teaware is super fun :)

whatshesaid

I agree, though I still have a few faves :)
David’s>Adagio for me so far though

agreed whatshesad. i despise adagio. pain in the ass to get to canada and their black base is largely “the suck”

Ooh malty black tea, yum! I made the hong kong milk tea recipe from David’s Tea site – 1/6 C. of sweetened condensed milk, 2 perfect teaspoons & 1 L. hot water for the tea part, mix together and add ice. It’s pretty yummy and strong and I can feel my teeth rotting out of my skull already, but it’s worth it for summer sweet tea drinks that taste like Thai iced coffee. I drank 2 yesterday and I’m only drinking 1 today because my sleep is all over the place lately. Hey, Monday…

So, this author (I adore) has started writing kinky Hannigram fics and they are really perfect. One is about Darjeeling 2nd flush, but I will warn you, you will never look at Darjeeling 2nd flush the same way again lol (warning is warning):

Oh, Will…

Cavocorax

Hahaha. You posted it! <3
And yes…. that tea will always hold a special association…

Holy tannins, Batman! This tea is BOLD. At first I didn’t think that I liked this very much at all, but I think it’s because I was just surprised. Now I am enjoying it. The taste starts as malty for split second and then it is just TANNIC. It is a super bold black tea, so you will like this if you like that sort of thing. Thanks Virginia for sending me my first Kenyan tea :-)

Flavors: Tannin

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

this was one of those free samples from david’s.
and i’ve had it saved in my office for months and months.
and months.
until today that is.
(APPLAUSE!)
when i come in the office these days, i’ve started brewing a large 26oz cup along with 2 timolinos first thing.
otherwise when it comes to my second cup of tea, i got in a bad cycle where i’m so busy (or hyper focused on work) that i would just turn my electric kettle on, and then turn it on again 30 mins later, and then turn it on again 40 min later, etc etc until it was 4:00pm and i hadn’t brewed anything yet and i’d only had one cup of tea. one cup!!! Unacceptable!!

i’ve liked every Crush, Tear, Curl tea i’ve had. not because they are so strong really, but they almost always have the richest malty flavor of all teas. not that i’ve had many CTCs over all. but basically i should probably have some in my cupboard.
(note to self: i should also buy that Notting Hill tea from American Tea Room soon cuz it’s tasty and malty too mmm)

but listen

i had this saved and undrank for for months. maybe even a year! and…

shmiracles: hey you are into iced tea these days, and you are good at following recipes, here is a link to some tea recipes from davids. (excellent sales ploy)
oddree: HONG KONG MILK TEA. omg. making that. (snaps snaps!)
shmiracles: seriously?! SERIOUSLY!?! i haven’t brewed a new tea in weeks! and I JUST NOW BREWED my sample of that tea! (flail face palm barf waffles)
on a page of like 30 recipes that is the one she calls out
she is the most hilarious person and my bestie and we are totally synced today obviously because she is wearing press-on nails that i put hours of fun work and experimentation into so it’s obviously linked us, i mean that’s the only explanation i have at least and i’m just gonna go with it.
snaps snaps!

Hannibal inspired
gonna be cross posted on our tea reviews today fo sho)

Shmiracles

!!!! http://instagram.com/p/oj507doc1w/
i think i have some room for improvement in my nail photography skillz hahaha

Cavocorax

Woah. That is some awesome nail decorations! Paisley, plaid and antlers!!!

Yes, yes it is strong, but it does not remind me of coffee at all, like others have said. It was not bitter, but quite astringent and left me with a dry mouth. The taste is very hard to describe. I might have to get back to this one.

Had with milk and 1 stevia

7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

Free sample included with my DAVIDsTEA order.

I was actually pretty curious to see how the samples would be handled with this order since I actually didn’t order any tea this go around. I love the aesthetic of most DAVIDs mugs and tumblers but their teas…I just haven’t found one that measures up to what its advertised to be.

So anyhow, I received a sample of this, their second flush darjeeling, and the peaches and cream herbal. The herbal was sorely disappointing but this seemed like a good option for breakfast this morning so I steeped it up.

The dry leaf looks a lot like Butiki’s Crimson Horizon, maybe a bit smaller though. Boyfriend says it looks a lot like grapenuts, but it has my favorite breakfast black tea smell, so very malty and rich. The resemblance to Crimson Horizon has me nervous though because that is some of the most bitter, astringent tea I’ve ever had and that happens after about 1.5 minutes of steeping, nowhere near my 4 minute norm (and the recommended steep time) for this.

After being brewed this is very dark and I chanced a sip plain, though I had the creamer ready. Initially it was a very rich black tea but then the astringence crept in. Great, thick texture but yeah, this cannot be drank plain. I can cut some slack for this because I never drink breakfast teas plain anyway, but it was worth noting.

Once creamer is added this tea is fabulous. The sugar/milk smooth out the bitterness, leaving just the malty notes and thick, chewy texture. This is a very strong tea and could definitely be a coffee substitute in the morning, and honestly, I really do like it. It’s easily the best DAVIDs tea I’ve ever had. I imagine it will give me the energy to start digging into my schoolwork all day – which is great…I really need a kick in the pants there.

Putting this on my wish list just in case I place an order in the near future.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
TheKesser

When I got this one the clerk told me to only steep for 45sec max, which I thought was weird, but I find that it’s perfect for this one. If you ever find the 4mins too much, try it for a short steep and it might surprise you.

teataku

Hmm, I wonder if the Kenyan Sunrise I just ordered from Whispering Pines will be anything like this. It looks about right.

Dustin

I feel the same way about David’s. I love their teaware and gadgets, but haven’t been super impressed by their teas.

I received a small 10g sample of this tea as part of a Davids Tea sampler that I got for Christmas. This one is a fairly standard CTC-style leaf that brews up into a deep red-coloured tea as I’ve noticed Kenyan black teas tend to. The flavour is alright, nothing especially good or especially bad. It reminds me a great deal of an English Breakfast with that robustness and slightly toasty quality you tend to find. It was nice to drink in the mornings when I had to be at work at 5am because it woke me up quickly, but it’s not a tea I would casually drink for pleasure.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML