Kenyan Tinderet

Astringent, Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Leather, Malt, Walnut, Wood, Bergamot, Dirt, Pleasantly Sour, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason… the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I’ve had...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1590 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 998 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don’t like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 818 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it’s bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I’ll pass the other half of this sample...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1779 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A decent tea, but not terribly exciting. Smooth, buttery. Accentuated by milk.

I picked up 100g of this as I’d noticed that many award winning breakfast teas (i.e. Thompson/Punjana) use Kenya tea in their blends. Thought I’d try a Kenyan straight up. I was encouraged to see it was a CTC as I like my tea northern England strong. Well shiver me timbers, this doesn’t disappoint for strength, but there are many qualities in this tea I dislike intensely. I too felt maybe I’d brewed it too long (despite the 4-7 minute brew time Davids sets). I tried it twice. First time 1.5 tsp at 2 minutes and then 2.5 tsp at a little over 6 minutes. (Davids says brew 4-7 minutes). The only taste difference was the longer brewing brought out massive astringency and an overall very assertive experience. I do get that honey taste, a strong honey. This tea has a good nose, and I was expecting the tea of my life. I really wanted to be wowed, but not to be. I agree with David’s assessment of “dirt” and earthy in the tasting notes, but startlingly I’m getting a taste reminiscent of how cow dung smells. Maybe that is used as a fertilizer at the plantation? Someone else noted the missing “malt” flavour and I agree with that. I would have thought for sure “malt” would be what this tea brings to a breakfast blend, but not this. Possibly a talented tea blender could use this in a breakfast mix. Not pleasant straight up. Having said that, I will try again, brewing 1.5 tsp for 3 minutes (instead of2.5 for 6, however the shorter brew time with less tea that I tried first resulted in the “dung-y” taste so not holding out much hope. Still – intriguing tea.

#ProjectTeaWall

I’ve had Kenyan black tea before; a lot actually. In particular, it was a type of black tea we explored very thoroughly in my Sommelier courses – but this is my first time trying DT’s offering of it. From previous experience, I find Kenyan blacks to be very full bodied and brisk, with strong malt and dry citrus notes so that’s what I was looking for.

First impression was that this one is rather astringent. It doesn’t take over the entire cup, and does seem a bit more muted as the liquor cools, but the first half of this cup definitely left my mouth with that dry pucker-y feeling after each sip.

The flavour is definitely robust and full bodied with brisk malty and raisin notes. The tea description mentions this one having floral character but I didn’t really observe that at all. The pithy lemon/citrus notes I was keeping an eye tastebud? out for made an appearance as a lemon rind like note in the finish of the sip. It also felt a touch brassy, overall. Overall, this isn’t my favourite straight black offering that we carry by a long shot but I do think it keeps in line with other Kenyan blacks I’ve previously tried, and I bet with some milk and maybe honey it could make a really nice, interesting morning cup of tea.

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m currently seasonally employed there and it would be an obvious conflict of interest. Any blends you see with numerical ratings were rated prior to my employment there. These reviews are a reflection of my personal thoughts regarding the teas, and not the company’s.

tigress_al

#projectteawall—- a mission to drink every tea on the wall??

Roswell Strange

You got it :) I’m well on my way; 27 left to go as of tonight.

Kristal

Wow that’s not bad at all!

I will finally live near a DAVIDsTEA! I picked this one up (and 3 others) while I was up in Connecticut looking for an apartment. I love this tea so much, it’s very malty and pleasantly bitter. I think my excessive Keemun consumption has resulted in a love for medium strength black teas. This tea was by no means weak in strength, but it did not make me jittery and uncomfortable either. I was able to get 3 good steeps out of the tea, and can’t wait to drink more tomorrow and buy a huge stash of it in 3 weeks when I move back to the Northeast.

Mikumofu

I hope your move goes smoothly. Looks like you’ll have lots of tea adventures in your future! :)

Mike

Thanks so much! I’m looking forward to it! Definitely, I’ll be at DAVIDsTEA a lot, and they actually sell Harney & Sons on campus! Hope you’re doing well!

I’ve been trying to get into more unique black teas recently. I review a lot of teas from India, China, and Sri Lanka, but I do not always pay attention to teas produced in other countries. Until recently, I did not have much interest in African teas, but after being blown away by a couple of white teas from Kenya, I have been keen on trying more teas produced outside of the so-called “Big Three.”

I prepared this tea using the one step Western infusion process I tend to favor for non-Chinese black teas and many black tea blends. I steeped 1 teaspoon of granulated tea leaves in 8 ounces of 205 F water for 5 minutes. Obviously, no additional infusions were attempted.

I got a strong aroma from the dry tea leaves. I noted a combination of earth, wood, and coffee aromas that kind of ran together. After infusion, I noted even more pronounced aromas of wood, coffee, and earth joined by scents of nuts, toast, and malt. In the mouth, I picked up on a particularly robust combination of coffee bean, earth, wood, brown toast, fresh bread, dark chocolate, leather, malt, hickory, and black walnut notes. The tea was very brisk in the mouth, with a pronounced astringency that left a dry, woody, gritty impression on the finish.

Overall, this was an interesting black tea, but I doubt I would be in any rush to come back to it. I do not normally mind brisk, astringent teas, but this one was a little much, even for me. I did, however, enjoy its woody, nutty character. I think fans of contemporary English breakfast blends would perhaps get a kick out of this one, but fans of sweeter, smoother teas would probably want to avoid it.

Flavors: Astringent, Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Leather, Malt, Walnut, Wood

Lightly astringent and drying. A bold black tea that’s good to wake up to … or drink to stay awake at 2:30pm.

Very good black tea. I throughly enjoy this one. Its fine without any milk or cream, straight – which it nice when your on the go.

I will be going back to get a full tin.

Such a strong and bold tea, I bought it at first because I thought the tea itself looked very interesting. The taste is a mix between an english breakfast and dirt but in a way that it tastes actually really good. By itself I can see why people would pick up coffee but with some milk and sugar I find it’s just a stronger version of an english breakfast blend. I can see myself drinking this in the morning as a way to wake myself up.

Flavors: Bergamot, Coffee, Dirt, Earth, Malt, Pleasantly Sour

Whew was this tea bold. I steeped it for exactly four minutes and it was a little too strong for my taste. Not a bad tea at all, just strong.

TheKesser

The tea guide that I bought this one from told me to only steep it for about 45sec. I found that to be just about right for me. I’d try that if you have more.

Eva

Thank you for the tip! Mine said between 4 and 6 minutes. I’ll have to pick some up at try it again for 45 seconds.

This tea was included as a sample packet in my most recent order from DAVIDsTEA. It is a smooth black tea with a sweet scent and a light taste.

I served it hot with some milk. I would absolutely purchase this as an everyday unflavoured caffeinated tea. Delicious!

Flavors: Honey