Kenyan Tinderet

Bergamot, Coffee, Dirt, Earth, Malt, Pleasantly Sour, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason… the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I’ve had...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1453 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 910 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don’t like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 805 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it’s bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I’ll pass the other half of this sample...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

A decent tea, but not terribly exciting. Smooth, buttery. Accentuated by milk.

Such a strong and bold tea, I bought it at first because I thought the tea itself looked very interesting. The taste is a mix between an english breakfast and dirt but in a way that it tastes actually really good. By itself I can see why people would pick up coffee but with some milk and sugar I find it’s just a stronger version of an english breakfast blend. I can see myself drinking this in the morning as a way to wake myself up.

Flavors: Bergamot, Coffee, Dirt, Earth, Malt, Pleasantly Sour

Whew was this tea bold. I steeped it for exactly four minutes and it was a little too strong for my taste. Not a bad tea at all, just strong.

The tea guide that I bought this one from told me to only steep it for about 45sec. I found that to be just about right for me. I’d try that if you have more.

Thank you for the tip! Mine said between 4 and 6 minutes. I’ll have to pick some up at try it again for 45 seconds.

This tea was included as a sample packet in my most recent order from DAVIDsTEA. It is a smooth black tea with a sweet scent and a light taste.

I served it hot with some milk. I would absolutely purchase this as an everyday unflavoured caffeinated tea. Delicious!

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

What deceptively cute and non-threatening little leaves! This packs a punch. I haven’t had many straight black teas, but upon reading about this I decided “go big or go home” and went for it. I’m glad I did! I steeped for about four minutes and had it with a bit of honey. It’s very earthy, malty, and a bit bitter but not in a foul way. Just hovering in the background a bit. I might try steeping three minutes next time just to see, but that’s more of a curiosity rather than trying to correct anything with this.

This could definitely work for those especially lethargic mornings. I think we’ll get along just fine, Kenyan Tinderet.

… I’m finding it increasingly difficult to assign number ratings. Like my “scale” is inconsistent. So… to heck with that for now.

I was reading the, quite mixed, reviews on this one as I was letting my pot boil. I got more nervous as I realized that this seems to be a hit or a miss. I needed something on the more caffeinated side as I just arrived home from work and a delicious lunch with the boyfriend and have a large pile of work ahead of me for the rest of my day.

I thought I would end up putting milk or something in this but I am enjoying it enough straight. This is a pleasant surprise as I was under the impression I did not like many black teas, let one straight ones!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Alright. Tastes like black tea. Yay.

I tried this the other day after it was recommended by the two staff members who were working. The dry blend smells very earthy, nutty and smooth. I had mine with a bit of agave and soy milk and it was delicious. This tea was earthy and nutty but there was also a touch of sweetness. I would have this again and recommend giving this a try!

Flavors: Earth, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin

I received this as a free sample from my last Davids Tea order. I steeped it for about 2 minutes at 200 F as based on the reviews below they indicated the tea was really strong so I didn’t want to steep it for long. I found it tasted fishy like it tastes similar to my omegas 3 vitamins i take in the morning. Glad I only had a small sample of this rather than 50g. I am sure there are people who love this.

Got this one from the TTB I was in a few weeks ago. Been distracted with other teas so much lately that I almost forgot I had it! So finally trying it.
But ooo….this one….Almost too strong. 0_0
I steeped it for not even 4 minutes and holy shanghai…
It’s strong. Not bitter. But so strong that it’s almost inky… It tastes like ink, in the aftertaste a lot too. Oy.
I feel that I would have liked it otherwise…but it seriously tastes like ink.
Maybe a bad batch…not sure. But just…no…..Oy….

yeah this was not a winner in my book either