Kenyan Tinderet

Tannin, Malt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by kristinajanet14

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason... the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I've had in my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1291 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 697 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don't like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts, and it also kind of smells like...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 478 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it's bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I'll pass the other half of this sample on to *ozli*...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1631 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sipdown #5: Oh, ok, phew. I get this tea now. My first steep last night didn’t go so well—I oversteeped, and the bitterness almost knocked me over. Saved with a heaped teaspoon of sugar, but I wanted to make sure I Did It Right with my next (and last) cup (this was one of my free DAVIDsTEA online order samples). Infused in my Timolino and then brought to work with me, because we all know when I try to steep at work I always oversteep.

I totally get a nose full of maltiness from this tea now that I’ve sorted things out with my second brew. It’s rich and the hint of bitterness is probably what leads people to the coffee conclusion but for me it’s definitely just a heavy tea tannin, really gutsy. Lovely. Glad I sorted this out but now sad I don’t have more, hahaha.

Flavors: Malt

Tried this tea with David’s recipe for Milk Tea. It is pretty tasty, but not sure I would enjoy this tea plain.

Ok so like 5 minutes after my first few sips, I could instantly feel my head buzzing. This is STRONG! For the first time EVER, I had to add some milk to my tea. I think next time I brew this, I will only use 1/2 scoop of tea (I used a full scoop using the davids perfect spoon, which is at least 1.5 tsp)and I will keep the steeping to a 3-4 min maximum. Still loved the robust flavor though :)

This tea packs quite a punch! Caffeine wise, that is!
I got three substantial steeps out of this tea. I think that it is a nice black tea, no gimmicks, went well with milk and sugar.

I just can’t help but share my love of this tea. It is the cup that awakes me each morning, and is beautifully sipped with milk and sugar. Kenyan Tinderet is definitely in my top 10!

Well, this is my first tea review…!

I am just getting into loose leaf teas (I am a big tea drinker, regular Tetley or Twinings bagged tea is what I always drink, so I guess that’s what I’d be comparing this to), and I am NOT getting the hang of this. I used the recommended amount (1 1/2tsp), and let it sit for 8 minutes…and still it was tasteless. I’ve tried a number of times with this same tea (and the English breakfast one), in a cup, in a pot (adjusting the amount of tea of course), and same result each time. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I’m definitely not getting the results the rest of you are!

This tea is tasteless! (Though that’s just because I think I must be doing something wrong)

I love this tea and drink it often.it is a very full bodied tea, a great option for a breakfast tea as it will stand up well to the addition of milk and sugar (although I drink it without either). I leave my leafs in the entire time I am drinking instead of the recommended 4-6min. I don’t find the tea to get bitter or astringent (however I am not very sensitive to either); it stays smooth and earthy even with leaving the leaves in for so long. This is a CTC tea and definitely has a different appearance than most straight black teas. It is one of my favorite straight black teas, if not my favorite.

Boiling 8 min or more

Really full bodied. Certainly bolder than most loose leaf blacks I’ve tasted. Great with milk, as is suggested. Almost a cocoa scent/flavour.

This may well be my favourite tea. Nice and strong, and a little bit sweet on its own accord. I could drink this tea anytime, anyplace. And I’m really fickle, so that’s saying something.

I was at the David’s Tea the just opened up near my house and was doing my usual I-need-to-buy-a-ton-of-new-teas-right-now kinda thing when I remembered that my black tea supplies were running low (for me) and I spent about 45 minutes figuring out which teas I wanted. I finally chose this one due to it’s strong, bold scent. I usually find that black teas aren’t bold and smooth enough but this one was perfection! Even standing up to my cream and brown sugar additions! I sometimes cut it with Earl Grey or English Breakfast and that’s just as delicious.