Kenyan Tinderet

Earth, Nutty, Sweet, Tannin, Malt
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

2 Images

• “Oh wow does this ever remind me of coffee! wheeeeew! Sadly though, for some reason... the maltiness that I love so much was missing. Maybe because it was only a 10g sample that I've had in my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1308 tasting notes
  • “Continuation of my tea a day journey. I actually left this sitting on the counter as I walked out the door to go to work. I was tealess at work all day :(( In hind site this might not have been...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes
  • “After commenting on a post about how I don't like CTC teas, I decided to give this one another try now that I have evolved a bit. The dry leaf looks like grapenuts, and it also kind of smells like...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 540 tasting notes
  • “This is different. It seems as though it's bolder than other black teas, and I can see why people say it reminds them of coffee. Yowza! I think I'll pass the other half of this sample on to *ozli*...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1695 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

African splendour
Discover this rare tea from the Tinderet Estate in the highlands of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Most connoisseurs drink it as a little luxury after a good meal. It has a superb flavour, with light floral notes and a special maltiness. ‘Tinderet’ means ‘Place of Lightning’, and the afternoons often see flashes of lightning after a morning of sun. Fair trade and ethically produced, it’s an all-round winner.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

this was one of those free samples from david’s.
and i’ve had it saved in my office for months and months.
and months.
until today that is.
(APPLAUSE!)
when i come in the office these days, i’ve started brewing a large 26oz cup along with 2 timolinos first thing.
otherwise when it comes to my second cup of tea, i got in a bad cycle where i’m so busy (or hyper focused on work) that i would just turn my electric kettle on, and then turn it on again 30 mins later, and then turn it on again 40 min later, etc etc until it was 4:00pm and i hadn’t brewed anything yet and i’d only had one cup of tea. one cup!!! Unacceptable!!

i’ve liked every Crush, Tear, Curl tea i’ve had. not because they are so strong really, but they almost always have the richest malty flavor of all teas. not that i’ve had many CTCs over all. but basically i should probably have some in my cupboard.
(note to self: i should also buy that Notting Hill tea from American Tea Room soon cuz it’s tasty and malty too mmm)

but listen

i had this saved and undrank for for months. maybe even a year! and…

shmiracles: hey you are into iced tea these days, and you are good at following recipes, here is a link to some tea recipes from davids. (excellent sales ploy)
oddree: HONG KONG MILK TEA. omg. making that. (snaps snaps!)
shmiracles: seriously?! SERIOUSLY!?! i haven’t brewed a new tea in weeks! and I JUST NOW BREWED my sample of that tea! (flail face palm barf waffles)
on a page of like 30 recipes that is the one she calls out
she is the most hilarious person and my bestie and we are totally synced today obviously because she is wearing press-on nails that i put hours of fun work and experimentation into so it’s obviously linked us, i mean that’s the only explanation i have at least and i’m just gonna go with it.
snaps snaps!

Hannibal inspired
gonna be cross posted on our tea reviews today fo sho)

Shmiracles

!!!! http://instagram.com/p/oj507doc1w/
i think i have some room for improvement in my nail photography skillz hahaha

Cavocorax

Woah. That is some awesome nail decorations! Paisley, plaid and antlers!!!

Yes, yes it is strong, but it does not remind me of coffee at all, like others have said. It was not bitter, but quite astringent and left me with a dry mouth. The taste is very hard to describe. I might have to get back to this one.

Had with milk and 1 stevia

7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

Free sample included with my DAVIDsTEA order.

I was actually pretty curious to see how the samples would be handled with this order since I actually didn’t order any tea this go around. I love the aesthetic of most DAVIDs mugs and tumblers but their teas…I just haven’t found one that measures up to what its advertised to be.

So anyhow, I received a sample of this, their second flush darjeeling, and the peaches and cream herbal. The herbal was sorely disappointing but this seemed like a good option for breakfast this morning so I steeped it up.

The dry leaf looks a lot like Butiki’s Crimson Horizon, maybe a bit smaller though. Boyfriend says it looks a lot like grapenuts, but it has my favorite breakfast black tea smell, so very malty and rich. The resemblance to Crimson Horizon has me nervous though because that is some of the most bitter, astringent tea I’ve ever had and that happens after about 1.5 minutes of steeping, nowhere near my 4 minute norm (and the recommended steep time) for this.

After being brewed this is very dark and I chanced a sip plain, though I had the creamer ready. Initially it was a very rich black tea but then the astringence crept in. Great, thick texture but yeah, this cannot be drank plain. I can cut some slack for this because I never drink breakfast teas plain anyway, but it was worth noting.

Once creamer is added this tea is fabulous. The sugar/milk smooth out the bitterness, leaving just the malty notes and thick, chewy texture. This is a very strong tea and could definitely be a coffee substitute in the morning, and honestly, I really do like it. It’s easily the best DAVIDs tea I’ve ever had. I imagine it will give me the energy to start digging into my schoolwork all day – which is great…I really need a kick in the pants there.

Putting this on my wish list just in case I place an order in the near future.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
TheKesser

When I got this one the clerk told me to only steep for 45sec max, which I thought was weird, but I find that it’s perfect for this one. If you ever find the 4mins too much, try it for a short steep and it might surprise you.

teataku

Hmm, I wonder if the Kenyan Sunrise I just ordered from Whispering Pines will be anything like this. It looks about right.

Dustin

I feel the same way about David’s. I love their teaware and gadgets, but haven’t been super impressed by their teas.

I received a small 10g sample of this tea as part of a Davids Tea sampler that I got for Christmas. This one is a fairly standard CTC-style leaf that brews up into a deep red-coloured tea as I’ve noticed Kenyan black teas tend to. The flavour is alright, nothing especially good or especially bad. It reminds me a great deal of an English Breakfast with that robustness and slightly toasty quality you tend to find. It was nice to drink in the mornings when I had to be at work at 5am because it woke me up quickly, but it’s not a tea I would casually drink for pleasure.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Sipdown #5: Oh, ok, phew. I get this tea now. My first steep last night didn’t go so well—I oversteeped, and the bitterness almost knocked me over. Saved with a heaped teaspoon of sugar, but I wanted to make sure I Did It Right with my next (and last) cup (this was one of my free DAVIDsTEA online order samples). Infused in my Timolino and then brought to work with me, because we all know when I try to steep at work I always oversteep.

I totally get a nose full of maltiness from this tea now that I’ve sorted things out with my second brew. It’s rich and the hint of bitterness is probably what leads people to the coffee conclusion but for me it’s definitely just a heavy tea tannin, really gutsy. Lovely. Glad I sorted this out but now sad I don’t have more, hahaha.

Flavors: Malt

Tried this tea with David’s recipe for Milk Tea. It is pretty tasty, but not sure I would enjoy this tea plain.

Ok so like 5 minutes after my first few sips, I could instantly feel my head buzzing. This is STRONG! For the first time EVER, I had to add some milk to my tea. I think next time I brew this, I will only use 1/2 scoop of tea (I used a full scoop using the davids perfect spoon, which is at least 1.5 tsp)and I will keep the steeping to a 3-4 min maximum. Still loved the robust flavor though :)

This tea packs quite a punch! Caffeine wise, that is!
I got three substantial steeps out of this tea. I think that it is a nice black tea, no gimmicks, went well with milk and sugar.

I just can’t help but share my love of this tea. It is the cup that awakes me each morning, and is beautifully sipped with milk and sugar. Kenyan Tinderet is definitely in my top 10!