The Skinny (organic)

Orange Zest, Citrus
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by canadiangirl798

• “*Non-tea related revelation, can skip if desired* So I decided, yesterday, randomly in the morning, that I need to do something about how I am living life. I go to work, sit at my desk, eat...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 944 tasting notes
  • “I should probably buy an herbal ginger tea but this is all I've got so hopefully it'll help settle my stomach. :( I was planning to go for a walk today but I just feel like turtling on the couch...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm, yet another tea that goes well with bug-fighting!! It's not a serious cold or anything. Still, this really helped me clear my head after a night of celebrating tea with great friends :) YUP....” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1315 tasting notes
  • “My house has strep throat, and I'm trying to ensure I don't get it. Though, the last few days I've been waking up with mild cold symptoms, hoping I don't actually have it already! Either way,...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1056 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

A Chinese secret

Looking for the next big beauty secret or weight loss trend? Let us give you a hint: try water. It’s true, water is just about the healthiest thing you can put in your body – after all, you’re made out of it. And what better way to jazz water up than with delicious traditional digestives like pu’erh, oolong, ginger and eleuthero root. Go ahead, drink up. The only thing you’ll gain is wisdom. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: Fair Trade Certified Chinese oolong tea, Chinese pu’erh tea, ginger, eleuthero root, orange peel. With natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

My best-tea friend loathes this tea, so I have avoided it for over a year. But, it’s on the wall so try it I am. And E, much as I love you, you’re wrong on this one, it doesn’t suck horridly.

I like orange flavoured teas, and this is definitely a unique flavour. The earthyness of the pu’erh, however, has me unable to decide if I actually like it, or if I just like the notes in it. Even as I write this review and keep sipping trying to figure it out my mind continues to shift. I love the first flirts of orange flavour, and the last, but that middle part I’m still undecided on. This tea is confusing!

I tried this one this afternoon. I am so glad I had a chance to sample it, because it would have been on my purchase list….. Thank you to ladykittykat for the sample, and saving me from a personal tea purchase blunder.

This one was a dump out for me. It was the ginger. I can handle a little ginger, but this one seemed a little overpowering. The good news for those of you that like ginger in your tea…it was ginger with a very fresh taste, and not like the powdered spice kind.

My first day back to work is tomorrow and I’ve just had a nice big break full of family, friends and overindulgence in sweets. I need something that isn’t sugary and I need it quick. I’m on my second pot and nowhere near sick of this.

This is one of my favourite teas and was my first introduction to oolong. I’m not a big fan of orange in my teas but I’m crazy for teas that have orange peel, hence my love (and 100 rating) for this.

So, almost out of this, and I don’t think I’ll be making it a repeat purchase.

I love pu’erh and orange/citrus tea. The earthy-ness of pu’erh is so calming and relaxing and pu’erh is one of my favourite teas for a reason. But I don’t get any oolong taste in this, and, well, if you told me there was ginger in this before I’d read the label, I don’t think I would believe you for one second. Maybe the point is ‘benefits of the ginger’ and not ‘flavour of the ginger’, but still, with something that has extra ginger flavouring on top of the ginger root, you’d think you’d be able to taste it.

I have enjoyed what I’ve had of this, but my first impression still stands: I think I’ll stick with Blood Orange Pu’erh to get my fill of earthy citrus tea.

What can I say about the Skinny? I love this tea. I love that when you open the package, it smells like fresh orange peel with that bright sunshiney smell. I love that when you brew it, it tastes like lovely earthy ginger with a hint of citrus, and I love that it never gets bitter.

The fact that “it just might make you skinny!” hardly factors into this tea for me; it is just plain delicious, and is so nice to drink after a meal with the stomach-settling ginger and palatte-cleansing orange.

A great tea. I was expecting a more explosive and unique taste but… It taste like a lots of citrus tea. Like “La La Lemon”, but with a smoother citrus tone.
The Pu’Erh give a little earthy burst, gentle is the burst.
Finally, the ginger give a fresh wave to the mixture.

Overall, it’s a really well made citrus tea. :)
Enjoy it!

If you like citrus in your tea you will probably like this tea. When I first opened this tea up it smelled just like a grapefruit. That is all I could smell, which really surprised me because I thought it would be more ginger or ginseng smell.

After the steeping time, it was a beautiful autumn orange color. The tea now smells like a warm more earthy grapefruit. First sip it was pretty sweet and yup citrus all the way, tastes like a grapefruit or mixed with orange. Pretty good.

After it cooled it was really sweet and I could start to taste the pu’erh or the earthiness… not sure if I liked it cool but it is one I will drink again hot.

This full bodied tea has definitely caught my attention! Not only are the health benefits excellent (which makes me feel great), but the earthy, spiced orange flavor is perfectly balanced with a slight bite from the ginger.
A perfect find during the fall season, and I have I strange feeling I’ll be needing a lot of this tea come Christmas time.

[EDIT] Granted, this tea is a bit more expensive than David’s usual teas (I suspect because it’s Organic), this tea can easily be steeped twice! I steep 7 minutes the first time, and 9 minutes the second — it still retains a lot of it’s flavor and depth.

My package from VariaTEA arrived! I didn’t think I’d ever say it, but: too much tea. No more. At least not until I’ve cut down by at least half. Ideally I’d like to stay under 100 teas (why does that sound so unattainable?!).

Anyway, I went for this first because of stomach trouble again. There’s ginger in it and I also remember MissB saying that pu-erhs calm her stomach, so I thought I’d try it out. I admit I have very little experience with pu-erh but this seems like a good way to try it since I know I like oolongs.

Ooh, this tastes good! I’m getting mostly orange and ginger with an earthiness in the background. It tastes sort of like an herbal, actually. I don’t know if the effect will be permanent, but it is soothing my stomach, too. Hooray!

ETA: As this cools the aftertaste is less bitter and more of a candied-ginger kind of thing. I love it so much I’m upping the rating.

205 °F / 96 °C

Got this in a swap but can’t remember from who! I’m sure it was a northern Canada friend.

I’m a ginger lover in food so this tea was perfect for me. I’ve had it awhile so it tasted a bit “light” probably just from age. I only have one more cup to make but I’d love to order some and mix it with other teas!

I found the ginger smooth and not too overpowering/hot. I didn’t get as much of the tea base shining through but that’s not what I was looking for it to do..so yay!

Thanks swappie!

TeaWings

Heyyy if you like a bit of ginger in your tea we’ll have to do a swap & I’ll send you some THÉ DES SIGNESCHEVAL I just got from MF.. Will post a tasting note for that in the next few days, one of the first ginger teas I’ve enjoyed..

darby

Great! Thanks! I haven’t tried that one yet or even heard of it!