Grandma's Pumpkin Pie

Edit tea info Last updated by Emilie

• “ Backlog. I took this to work today in my timolino, and although I still adore the taste profile of this tea, I find that pretty much all the tea I own eventually tastes flatter. I chock it up both...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 450 tasting notes
  • “I think I'm finally getting tired of this blend, it appears 2oz is a bit much for me to drink my way through before I am done with drinking a blend from della terra. However, this is a nice blend...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes
  • “Yum... I am drinking this with the cookie that *Hesper June* sent me, perfect for dunking! This is one of the best pumpkin teas I have tried so far, it's yummy! And laundry is getting done... hurrah” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2308 tasting notes
  • “Nom nom nom. Tasty. This is really well balanced. I think theres lemon or orange peel in this, wich is genius! What a good idea! I've found that in a lot of savory things, be it tea or actual food,...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 832 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

Take a trip over the river and through the woods to Grandmothers house and have a slice of her amazing pumpkin pie! Or, grab your infuser and our Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie tea and have just as great an experience! With the traditional spices you know from the classic pumpkin pie blended into black tea with pumpkin shaped candies you will be sure to crave this one over and over!

Ingredients: Black tea, spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin candies

Suggested brewing tips:

Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6 to 8 oz serving

Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil

Steep Time: 5 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

In the aftermath of tropical cyclone Sandy (no problems here, thank you for all your kind thoughts and prayers), what could be more comforting than Grandma’s pumpkin pie? Okay so my grandmother never made pumpkin pie, but it sure sounds good. =)

The little pumpkin candies in this tea are very cute. I was tempted to try one, but then I forgot about it. It smells very, very autumnal, a combination of all the warmth and spices that generally go into pumpkin pie and other seasonal desserts. I didn’t get a pumpkin feel from it, but to be honest, I’d have to open a can of pumpkin pie filling and stick my nose in it to remember the fragrance. The brew is a little lighter in colour than I anticipated for a black tea, but it does kind of look like liquified pumpkin pie.

I’m torn on the taste (and therefore the rating). This is a really nice pumpkin pie spice tea. A pumpkin pie tea, not so much. It’s warm and yummy and comforting and smells really great, but I’m still not getting any pumpkin from it. Next time, I think I’m going to try sweetening it with just a touch of condensed milk.

Tea amount: 1 level tsp
Water amount: 6oz/~175mL
Additives: None at first, then about ½ tsp demerara sugar.
Dry mouth factor: 2/10 (really low for a black tea, in my experience—awesome)

Terri HarpLady

Glad to hear you’re ok! I was sending good vibes to all the people I know in that part of the country, along with everyone else, & smiled to myself because almost everyone I ‘know’ over there is on Steepster! LOL!

Nik

Thank you for the good vibes, Terri! =)

Bonnie

NIK’S ALIVE! Glad you have power too! Sounds like this tea really does need condensed milk to make it like pie. What are you going to do with the open filling?! If you hate making crust you can just bake filling you know and it tastes good too or make pumpkin cookies. Those would be nice with tea.
Glad you’re well!

Nik

Thank you, Bonnie, for the warm wishes. =) As for the filling, I guess it’s confession time: all I really need is a spoon. :D

It’s turned out to be a gross rainy day, so I came home and opened up my package of this. And added vanilla coconut milk creamer. Because it’s delicious and comforting and I’m cold and I kinda just wanna go to bed but I can’t because I need to (finally) (maybe) do my taxes.

Umm.

Be sure to use enough leaves as there are candies and candies only lend sweetness, not teaness.

Courtney

I love the last line.

Suziqzer

Taxes… Blech! Get that over with and enjoy yourself some snuggle time with a nice warm blanket and a cup of tea.

OMGsrsly

AND DONE! My taxes are so easy. :) Most of the time was spent trying to find all my bus passes. Which, umm, there is 1 outstanding that I don’t have a receipt for either. Oh well!

TeaBrat

This tea is so yummy :)

Suziqzer

Glad that went so quick and easy for you. There is always that one thing that you have to hunt for .. Even when I try to keep everything in a file folder. That’s just the way it is.

OMGsrsly

I’m actually surprised how much I still like this one, considering all the candies. :) It was one of my first orders from Della Terra, and I still like it!

Easy taxes are the best. My BFF sat around making spreadsheets as she has a part time business. That part isn’t so fun!

Yes, I saved this one to review on Halloween! The name is accurate with this one, just like the apple pie was yesterday! If I’m not mistaken, this looks to have little bits of pumpkin pie filling in the blend? Like the stuff that you’d buy in a can and then somehow it is dried for tea? If so, what a genius idea! I was definitely getting a pumpkin flavor, and not just the spices that gets added to anything pumpkin flavored. It had a great balance of the spice with the squashy, vegetal pumpkin! As usual with Della Terra, the black tea base isn’t overpowering the flavors. The second steep was just as good, since I used just-boiled water. Peeking in the infuser, the pumpkin filling pieces or the sprinkles weren’t completely melted into the tea. I really like this one, and I think this is the best idea on how to make a pumpkin tea… pumpkin pie filling! (But if anyone knows that this isn’t pumpkin pie filling, please correct me if I’m wrong!) Another amazing tea from Della Terra! This is why I knew I shouldn’t have tried so many in their sample packs… I will want to buy full ounces of most of the teas I’ve tried!

Nik

The list of ingredients states that they are “pumpkin candies.”

Tea Sipper

I know the pumpkin candies are the sprinkles, but it seems like my blend has something else in it, not listed on this ingredients list. I don’t know…

Nik

Oh! Sorry I misunderstood… =)

Kittenna

Yeah, I know what you mean. My impression was that the pumpkin candies were actually little pumpkin chunks, which was why they didn’t “melt” in the infuser. Either way, there were definitely little orange bits of something in my infuser post-steeping!

I received this one as a surprise second batch of samples from Della Terra Teas in their snazzy new packaging. The new pouches are a thicker black plastic which eliminate the smell contamination I experienced with the old ones. Thumbs up!

Unfortunately, one of my picky tea tastes is that I don’t like pumpkin. Actually, i don’t like pumpkin ever. I will carve it for jack o lanterns, but that’s about it. No pie, no seeds, nadda! So, I got the beau to drink it, and the following is his review:

“The tea was good, it is much better then the David’s tea pumpkin chai! The cinnamon was subtle so it did not overpower and it actually tasted like pumpkin pie. I only steeped it for like four mins for fear of over powering cinnamon so it was a little weak in flavour but the next time I think I will steep it a little longer to see if the taste is stronger and/or better. I would give it a 88 out of 100 and I boiled the water for it since it is black.”

There you have it, folks!

This is one of the best Della Terra black teas that I have tried.

It’s a very nice blend of pumpkin and spice and a nice overall sweetness. It certainly reminds me of pumpkin pie filling, but I’m not getting much crust. Or whipped cream.

This is much tastier than DavidsTea’s Pumpkin Chai, but still does not compare to Butiki’s Pumpkin Creme Brulee. GAH.

EDIT: As it cools, I am definitely getting more of a pastry-like crust flavor… so the name is fitting! Although I do prefer my pumpkin pie with generous amounts of whipped cream. I could try a splash of almond milk, but I don’t want to ruin my cup. Also, I’m lazy.

whatshesaid

I will have to try this sometime?

jessiwrites

I have enough for one more cup, if you want it!

whatshesaid

Oops I meant to put an exclamation mark not a question mark, haha. I wasn’t trying to bum for your last bit of tea!! It was late and I was on my iPad, lol

whatshesaid

But thank you for offering :)

I’m sad to say it, but I think I am about pumpkined out for this year. I’m happy that I’ve found a lot of delicious pumpkin teas, though. I still love pumpkin flavored things, but there’s so many of them in the fall that it’s a little overwhelming after awhile, and I’ve reached that point.

This one is delicious, though! It has a nice fresh pumpkin flavor with just the right amount of sweet spices to compliment the tea. I could drink this one all day (even though I’m tired of pumpkin – it’s that good!) Very glad I ordered this one with my Black Friday order.

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs with pieces of spices, citrus peel and small orange pumpkin sprinkles.
-Dry leaves smell richly of spices, cinnamon and sugar. Tea liquor aroma is of warm cinnamon.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium orange brown color.
-Light fresh pumpkin flavor with a sweet spice finish. Faint pumpkin pie aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Very good tea. A creamy cup of fresh pumpkin flavor with a compliment of sweet spices.

Cavocorax

I’m pumpkin’d out as well I think!
Soon, I’ll be sick of peppermint too. :P

Josie Jade

Yep, I’m getting there too, Cavocorax!

Comforting tea time. I just watch the pianist (by netflix suggestion) and am feeling pretty terrible, shook up.. Can’t believe the horrors. Just awful. So this is my tea now, doctored with milk and brown sugar. Hope to feel better soon.

ETA – darn it, this is the first time logging this tea. Sorry for such a terrible note. But the team is really good, without additives too, I’ve had it a few times and am at a toss up between this and davidstea pumpkin chai for top pumpkin tea.

OMGsrsly

I just looked up the movie – yikes! Hope the tea offers you some comfort.

MissLena

Thanks, yeah a pretty sad one, I must say. :( makes you appreciate life itself though.

Nxtdoor

Brody did such a good job in I that one. I remember his Oscar performance when he kissed Halle berry on the lips right there in stage. LOL

MissLena

I didn’t see those Oscars haha, but his performance was stunning so I’m not surprised he got one for that movie!

Tea Sipper

I read the book years ago – very haunting.

I get to try this courtesy of Dexter3657 . Thank you!

The dry leaf smells so good that it was the first one I’m having out of all the other ziploc bags I got. It smells sweet, not just spice. It tastes quite close to what you’d think it should taste like after smelling the leaf. That is always nice since you’re choosing tea based on its smell sometimes and it’s quite the disappointment when the brewed tea tastes NOTHING like the dry.

I added brown sugar but no dairy (or dairy substitutes). I had a cup at work this morning and am finishing off the sample tonight because it is good enough to have more than once in a day.

OMGsrsly

I really like this one. :)

keychange

Love this one also!

Happy New Year!

This tea is another sipdown. I brewed it overleafed today to use up the last little bit and added a dash of 2% milk. Yum! I am sad that it will be gone, but also glad that I can buy it again this year before Fall when I am having a craving (unlike with David’s Pumpkin Chai). Also good to clear a tiny bit more space in the cupboard, which is currently overflowing.

I haven’t posted reviews yet, but I also tried both of Butiki’s pumpkin blends over the past week and so far I still like this one better. I am going to play with the steeping parameters and additions though before I post about ’em and see if I can find the magic that must be lurking within those lovely leaves.

Fjellrev

Happy New Year! I keep reading really good things about this tea. I shall order it next time they have a good sale.

Really had a craving for this one today but wanted to pair it with what I had made for lunch so I decided to try it iced instead of hot. Delicious! Didn’t do anything special at all to it, just a bit of sugar as always and threw it over some ice. I was just as pleased with it iced as I was in my previous note.