Orange Brulee

Oolong Tea
Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Kiaharii

• “Well i'm glad that tatooed_tea sent me another bit of this since it appears that i like it a bunch better this time around. While still not my favourite in any way, shape or form, it is better...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “Yeeaaaah!!!! Note 1200, with 4 minutes to go! (We're pretending I live in Alberta, ok?) Also, happy slightly belated 1-year Steepsterversary to myself. Hahahaha. Like anyone with me on their...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I searched through my sample and realized I only have 1 caramel piece! Haha. Oops? I have lots of orange peel, though. 1 tsp in 8 oz water. I really like this tea. Sweet candied orange peels,...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1162 tasting notes
  • “Yeesh, as soon as I cut open the pouch, my heart sank. The dry leaf smells like those cheap orange candies filled with sticky sweet syrup in the middle that you used to pick up at parades when you...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

The naturally sweet, honey like flavor of this Oolong works perfectly with a rich caramel and bright orange notes. This tea is one for tea drinkers of all sorts, give it a try and find yourself coming back for more. Perfect for a midday treat.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, caramel and creme flavoring, orange peels and flavoring

Suggested brewing tips:
- Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving
- Water Temp: 176-185°F
- Steep Time: 2-3 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

Tea #2 for the night.
So I’ve had this sitting around in my ‘to try’ bin since I ordered it my first Della Terra order once upon a time. /hangs head/ To be honest, I’m not sure why I bought it in the first place since I’m not particularly fond of oranges, though I do like them/juice/etc occasionally. I guess it was because I was still new to tea and didn’t really know that orange in tea was so, well, unpleasant for me. But I like to at least try a tea before putting it in the swap bin, because I’ve been surprised (not often) before, so I gave this a shot.
The dry leaf smells very strongly of candied oranges, those sugared gummy oranges you can get in the 2 for $5 bags on the checkout aisles of the grocery. The taste, unfortunately, is very like eating those same gummy oranges. Very artificial. No discernible caramel taste to this, but then, I wasn’t really expecting much. And I can’t really tell the base tea under all this fake orange. Tried this with a bit of Truvia and it didn’t do much more than make the orange taste more artificial.
I probly should’ve tried a second brew, but I didn’t even finish my first cup, so I certainly wasn’t going to give a second one a shot.

Sipdown! Thanks for the sample, JennyFur!

I’m getting mostly orange from this one. Not really detecting too much from the “brulee” aspect, other than maybe some extra sweetness and a little bit of a thicker mouthfeel. (Although that last part is probably from the oolong, more than anything.)

A nice, sweet, citrusy oolong, none the less.

The first sniff reminded me of an Orange Julius or an orangecicle, which is a WONDERFUL scent. However this is where my love for this blend stops. Upon steeping, the tea loses its citrus scent and the taste is just…bleh. There isn’t anything defining or memorable about the taste, which is disappointing.

Well, I can smell and taste again, so I’m back to trying out some tastey teas! Yay! Here’s hoping the rest of this nasty cold goes away now.

This tea smells amazing. Very orangey, with hints of cream and caramel. Very sweet smelling. Once brewed the caramel pops forward a bit more. The scent is heavenly.
Taste wise, I’m getting the orange first. It’s nice and fresh tasting. This is directly followed by and combined with a sweet caramal note. Yum! The flavors combine together perfectly in this cuppa. The mouthfeel is very smooth, probably due to the cream flavor, and delightfully refreshing with the citrus from the orange. Perfect desert tea! It actually reminds me a bit of Christmas for some reason…

Overall, I’d say this was a score! Glad I added it to my “Try Me” sampler.

yappychappy

This stuff was amazing. How are flavored oolongs gongfu style? will have to try that.

Emily M

I haven’t tried it gongfu style yet myself. I think this one may hold up.

Thanks to Della Terra Teas for sending me the sample! I won this in a contest over on their Facebook page, and was quite excited to try it. I adore creme brulee and love orange flavoring in deserts.

I oversteeped this as I was pulled into a quick meeting just as I put the tea on to brew. But that didn’t seem to affect it negatively – no bitterness.

I think I need to be more careful in scooping – got a number of orange rinds but no caramel. So it tasted less like creme brulee and more like orange tea. Not complaining, but I wanted the caramel flavor.

With a bit of sugar added, it’s a nice and light orange oolong. I may try cold steeping this as another person recommended.

8 min or more

The more I drink this tea, the more I like it. The leaves smell like a candy orange, and although I’m not sure that I get much caramel flavor, this is more creamy that a tea with only orange flavor. I think I will need to have a few more cups of this to determine my final feelings on this….

This tea has a bright orange taste. I don’t taste any caramel like taste, but it’s a nice orange tea so far.

This tea has a very unique flavor. It’s been over a week since I had it, so my memory is weak… I recall that my overall reaction was a positive one, but I need to try it again before I can say more.

(Sample from silentrequiem. Thanks!)

This is a fun tea! I get a lot of orange, a moderate amount of cream, a little caramel, and basically no oolong flavor. I have these cookies, knock off pirouettes that I got from the Chinese grocery store that’s just down the block. They’re chocolate with a cream center and they go reaaaaally well with this tea. Tasty afternoon snack!

Okay, so the tea. This tea is very sweet and candied. I steeped it three times, though by the third time, the only flavor that was left was basically bitter orange peel. I would probably only steep it a maximum of two times next time. The first steeping (2 min) was very sweet and orangey and had a lot of cream flavor. There was the tiniest hint of caramel at the end of my sip, but the caramel flavor was basically nonexistent. The artificial flavorings and add-ins completely covered up any oolong flavor, but I was okay with that. I wasn’t really craving oolong this afternoon. When I got down to about an ounce or two, I added a little sweetener and cream. That completely covered up the flavors and made the whole experience pretty one dimensional, but I used too much cream. I’ll probably try again with milk or less cream next time. The second steeping (3 min) had a less strong cream flavor and the orange was a little more bitter, but that kind of improved the experience for me. That extra little bite had me eagerly gulping at my cup, and I completely forgot to try some milk in my dregs. The third steeping (5 min) was basically just bitter orange peel water and could be totally skipped.

Aroma: Strong zesty orange
Color: Light Amber
Taste: Smooth oolong with a hint of sweet orange
Notes: When I initially opened the package, I was a little thrown off by the smell. It was strong and artificial smelling. Once I brewed it, it wasn’t so bad. There was a sweet orange note but overall was light and smooth. I didn’t taste the caramel as some people have noted though, but it did have a little sweetness to it.