Orange Brulee

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Kiaharii

• “Well i'm glad that tatooed_tea sent me another bit of this since it appears that i like it a bunch better this time around. While still not my favourite in any way, shape or form, it is better...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4674 tasting notes
  • “Yeeaaaah!!!! Note 1200, with 4 minutes to go! (We're pretending I live in Alberta, ok?) Also, happy slightly belated 1-year Steepsterversary to myself. Hahahaha. Like anyone with me on their...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I searched through my sample and realized I only have 1 caramel piece! Haha. Oops? I have lots of orange peel, though. 1 tsp in 8 oz water. I really like this tea. Sweet candied orange peels,...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1369 tasting notes
  • “Yeesh, as soon as I cut open the pouch, my heart sank. The dry leaf smells like those cheap orange candies filled with sticky sweet syrup in the middle that you used to pick up at parades when you...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

The naturally sweet, honey like flavor of this Oolong works perfectly with a rich caramel and bright orange notes. This tea is one for tea drinkers of all sorts, give it a try and find yourself coming back for more. Perfect for a midday treat.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, caramel and creme flavoring, orange peels and flavoring

Suggested brewing tips:
- Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving
- Water Temp: 176-185°F
- Steep Time: 2-3 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

Tea #2 for the night.
So I’ve had this sitting around in my ‘to try’ bin since I ordered it my first Della Terra order once upon a time. /hangs head/ To be honest, I’m not sure why I bought it in the first place since I’m not particularly fond of oranges, though I do like them/juice/etc occasionally. I guess it was because I was still new to tea and didn’t really know that orange in tea was so, well, unpleasant for me. But I like to at least try a tea before putting it in the swap bin, because I’ve been surprised (not often) before, so I gave this a shot.
The dry leaf smells very strongly of candied oranges, those sugared gummy oranges you can get in the 2 for $5 bags on the checkout aisles of the grocery. The taste, unfortunately, is very like eating those same gummy oranges. Very artificial. No discernible caramel taste to this, but then, I wasn’t really expecting much. And I can’t really tell the base tea under all this fake orange. Tried this with a bit of Truvia and it didn’t do much more than make the orange taste more artificial.
I probly should’ve tried a second brew, but I didn’t even finish my first cup, so I certainly wasn’t going to give a second one a shot.

Sipdown! Thanks for the sample, JennyFur!

I’m getting mostly orange from this one. Not really detecting too much from the “brulee” aspect, other than maybe some extra sweetness and a little bit of a thicker mouthfeel. (Although that last part is probably from the oolong, more than anything.)

A nice, sweet, citrusy oolong, none the less.

The first sniff reminded me of an Orange Julius or an orangecicle, which is a WONDERFUL scent. However this is where my love for this blend stops. Upon steeping, the tea loses its citrus scent and the taste is just…bleh. There isn’t anything defining or memorable about the taste, which is disappointing.

Well, I can smell and taste again, so I’m back to trying out some tastey teas! Yay! Here’s hoping the rest of this nasty cold goes away now.

This tea smells amazing. Very orangey, with hints of cream and caramel. Very sweet smelling. Once brewed the caramel pops forward a bit more. The scent is heavenly.
Taste wise, I’m getting the orange first. It’s nice and fresh tasting. This is directly followed by and combined with a sweet caramal note. Yum! The flavors combine together perfectly in this cuppa. The mouthfeel is very smooth, probably due to the cream flavor, and delightfully refreshing with the citrus from the orange. Perfect desert tea! It actually reminds me a bit of Christmas for some reason…

Overall, I’d say this was a score! Glad I added it to my “Try Me” sampler.

yappychappy

This stuff was amazing. How are flavored oolongs gongfu style? will have to try that.

Emily M

I haven’t tried it gongfu style yet myself. I think this one may hold up.

Thanks to Della Terra Teas for sending me the sample! I won this in a contest over on their Facebook page, and was quite excited to try it. I adore creme brulee and love orange flavoring in deserts.

I oversteeped this as I was pulled into a quick meeting just as I put the tea on to brew. But that didn’t seem to affect it negatively – no bitterness.

I think I need to be more careful in scooping – got a number of orange rinds but no caramel. So it tasted less like creme brulee and more like orange tea. Not complaining, but I wanted the caramel flavor.

With a bit of sugar added, it’s a nice and light orange oolong. I may try cold steeping this as another person recommended.

8 min or more

The more I drink this tea, the more I like it. The leaves smell like a candy orange, and although I’m not sure that I get much caramel flavor, this is more creamy that a tea with only orange flavor. I think I will need to have a few more cups of this to determine my final feelings on this….

This tea has a bright orange taste. I don’t taste any caramel like taste, but it’s a nice orange tea so far.

I finished my first pouch of this off at work today. I have another in my cupboard from Valentines Day, so it’s not a sipdown. I don’t mind that, though, because this is a niiiiice tea. It took me three tries to get my cup this afternoon, though. The first time I boiled the water and left it to cool in my cup, and then forgot about it. The second time I actually got as far as adding the leaves, and then I forgot about it again. It was third time lucky! Clearly work is distracting :) It was good tea, though. When I got it.

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Another entry in my “drink all my previously hoarded teas” log. Except I hadn’t yet tried this one. I got it in a sampler pack from DTT.

Another tea added to the swap/sell pile, which funnily enough consists purely of dessert teas.

This smells really good in the bag, like creamsicles, or those swirly creamy orange and white hard candies.

It tastes very orangey, but also very sweet, thanks to the caramel.

This is a heavily flavored tea…

It’s tasty, but just not what I want. I am pretty sure I can now say I’m not into orangey teas.

Flavors: Caramel, Orange Zest

200 °F / 93 °C
Anna

Orangey teas are not my thing either. Any other citrus, pretty much (unless it’s a black tea) but not orange. I have no idea why – I mean, I love oranges and orange juice? Maybe it’s because it just seems all wrong to drink it warm.

whatshesaid

And it was SO orange. Overpoweringly orange. Blehhhh

You’re right, warm is weird.

Anna

Blergh. Just ew.

This tea has a very unique flavor. It’s been over a week since I had it, so my memory is weak… I recall that my overall reaction was a positive one, but I need to try it again before I can say more.

(Sample from silentrequiem. Thanks!)