Chocolate Mate

Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

From Della Terra Teas

Love Chocolate? Love Mate? Then you’ll love this chocolate mate tea! The rich flavor of chocolate and the distinctive taste of mate combine in this tea for a seriously rich flavor.

Ingredients: roasted mate, chocolate flavor with rooibos, chocolate bits, barley, malt and coconut slivers

Suggested brewing tips:
Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving
Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil
Steep Time: 5 minutes or to taste

About Della Terra Teas View company

Another tea from the amazing box I received from TheTeaFairy. I’ve had this one before, and I really liked it then, and I still like it now.
I’m just a big fan of this style of tea. Chocolate mate reminds me of coffee and there isn’t anything wrong with that. Thumbs up.

No sir, I don’t like it.

To be fair, I am (at least mentally) comparing this to 52Teas Malted ChocoMate, and it isn’t holding up. There is a bit of a chocolate flavor to this, but mostly I get a very marshy, sweet flavor.

Its weird. It looks like roasted mate, but for all the world tastes like green mate.

At any rate, I uh, I don’t see this one sticking around.

I’m not putting a rating on this one, because this seems very much like a ’It’s not you, it’s me’ kind of deal. But personally, I’m not finishing the cup.

Oh no! pretty bad when you can’t finish a cuppa!

I’ve had a blend with almost the exact same ingredients from Utopia teas and I thought it tasted like tomato soup, so I’m totally with you on this one for now! lol

I think I tried this one and said the same thing.

Bonus points for the Ren & Stimpy review at the first. (Unless their bit comes from somewhere else) ;)

Haha – I definitely know it from Ren & Stimpy, too.

And that’s a bummer. I love ChocoMate so I’d probably be disappoitned with this tea, too.

Dylan Oxford

Thanks for the support! I always feel a little pang of guilt when I leave a bad review.

And yes, totally Ren and Stimpy :)

This was a free sample with my order! This one is so smooth it might be TOO smooth somehow. I’m not sure how to explain it. The flavors go so well together, it seems like it turns into ONE flavor. Make sense? Probably not. There is a definite chocolate with that great roasted mate flavor that is kind of earthy. I also tasted a hint of coconut and that was lovely in this blend too. The flowers were a bit of color! A yummy blend from Della Terra, but the flavors work so well together, they need something more to really pop. But maybe I’m just getting spoiled with all these ridiculous blends lately.

Drinking this to wake up right now. I don’t love it but it’s growing in me, I also really value mate in the morning so I’m going to need to stock up on some soon since I’m almost completely out. Suggestions are more than welcome!!

i only have 2 mates and i haven’t even tried them yet. (chocolate rocket & honey bee from Davidstea) i know i sound like a crazy person typing this on a tea fan website, but i’m actually trying to cut down on caffeine, so the mate always makes me nervous. i just make cups of it for my boyfriend instead. :)

Fusion’s Pistachio Lime Mate is the best!!

Both dry and brewed the smells of the coconut, malt, and barely are at the forefront. Not sure how much chocolate flavor I’m getting from the scent at least. This kind of combine and remind of a licorice type scent, but that could just be my weird nose.
I went for a lower water temp than was suggested, mostly because that’s how I’ve done mate before, I also steeped it for a bit less. Taste wise, it’s interesting. Not sure how much mate I’m picking up, seems to be more spice type flavors. It’s sweet, but I’m having such trouble putting a descriptive phrase to the flavor because it reminds me of something, but it’s right there and I can’t figure out what it is. There is a light cocoa note, but I wouldn’t have named this Chocolate Mate, it doesn’t quite have enough chocolate in it for that. Just looked up that it had rooibos in it, didn’t realize. I think that’s the more dominant flavor, the sweet kind of woody caramel note.

Tea: 1 tsp
Water: 8 oz
Additives: none
Brewing method: My lovely forest teapot