Chocolate Mate

Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Sipper

• “Another tea from the amazing box I received from *TheTeaFairy*. I've had this one before, and I really liked it then, and I still like it now. I'm just a big fan of this style of tea. Chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes
  • “No sir, I don't like it. To be fair, I am (at least mentally) comparing this to 52Teas Malted ChocoMate, and it isn't holding up. There is a bit of a chocolate flavor to this, but mostly I get...” Read full tasting note
    telepathboy 185 tasting notes
  • “*Girls night out in Scotland!* One of Della Terra's that came in a pretty red Christmas box! I enjoy a good Maté, I like the malty characteristics of the roasted ones. After I opened it, I...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 393 tasting notes
  • “This was a free sample with my order! This one is so smooth it might be TOO smooth somehow. I'm not sure how to explain it. The flavors go so well together, it seems like it turns into ONE flavor....” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1340 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

Love Chocolate? Love Mate? Then you’ll love this chocolate mate tea! The rich flavor of chocolate and the distinctive taste of mate combine in this tea for a seriously rich flavor.

Ingredients: roasted mate, chocolate flavor with rooibos, chocolate bits, barley, malt and coconut slivers

Suggested brewing tips:
Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving
Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil
Steep Time: 5 minutes or to taste

About Della Terra Teas View company

Another tea from the amazing box I received from TheTeaFairy. I’ve had this one before, and I really liked it then, and I still like it now.
I’m just a big fan of this style of tea. Chocolate mate reminds me of coffee and there isn’t anything wrong with that. Thumbs up.

No sir, I don’t like it.

To be fair, I am (at least mentally) comparing this to 52Teas Malted ChocoMate, and it isn’t holding up. There is a bit of a chocolate flavor to this, but mostly I get a very marshy, sweet flavor.

Its weird. It looks like roasted mate, but for all the world tastes like green mate.

At any rate, I uh, I don’t see this one sticking around.

I’m not putting a rating on this one, because this seems very much like a ’It’s not you, it’s me’ kind of deal. But personally, I’m not finishing the cup.

TheTeaFairy

Oh no! pretty bad when you can’t finish a cuppa!

DaisyChubb

I’ve had a blend with almost the exact same ingredients from Utopia teas and I thought it tasted like tomato soup, so I’m totally with you on this one for now! lol

Bonnie

I think I tried this one and said the same thing.

Nicole

Bonus points for the Ren & Stimpy review at the first. (Unless their bit comes from somewhere else) ;)

Babble

Haha – I definitely know it from Ren & Stimpy, too.

And that’s a bummer. I love ChocoMate so I’d probably be disappoitned with this tea, too.

Dylan Oxford

Thanks for the support! I always feel a little pang of guilt when I leave a bad review.

And yes, totally Ren and Stimpy :)

Girls night out in Scotland!

One of Della Terra’s that came in a pretty red Christmas box!

I enjoy a good Maté, I like the malty characteristics of the roasted ones. After I opened it, I deeply inhaled as I always do, and went WOH-HO!!! This is bold! Strong smell of fermentation, malt and barley, very «boozy»!

I was drawn to it cause I like the unusual, but to be honest, I was scared of how it would taste like! I brewed according to instructions, about 4 min. Expecting a slap on the face, I only got a very mild caress… I put the tea basket back in my cup, and I let it rest for another 2min. Still not enough. It ended up being steeped for a good 8 minutes. So next time, I take note to put a little more than

1 1/2 tsp. in my 8oz cup.

The taste was really good, like malty liquid black treacle, with notes of clove and a very smooth finish. I don’t get much of them but the chocolate and coconut are probable what gives that sweet finish. As for the Rooibos, I wouldn’t have known it was there at all and I don’t mind since I don’t care much for it, aside from a few exceptions.

As it cooled, I picked up whisky notes. I think this blend would be very interesting to experiment with during holiday season, I’m thinking cocktails for sure!

It didn’t hold up for a second steep, I got pretty much all the flavor out of steep one. Maybe multiple infusions will be possible next time when I measure more tea to the cup.

But all in all, this is something I will have again for sure!

Now please skip this part if you have no interest for the story

Friday was girls night out… we went to this nice pub we heard of. We were told it was a nice lounge bar, good chill ambiance and good company.

So we got there with that in mind. We went inside, and…we stopped: what we saw was somewhat distracting. You know when the DJ makes that scratchy noise with the vinyl records? That’s the sound my brain created in my head while trying to process what I was looking at…

There were LOTS of men in that pub, and they all seemed to have the same dress code: KILTS! Yes, ladies, brace yourselves, men in kilts! Turns out, Friday was a special night, some kind of Scottish men gathering. I must say that a kilt on a good looking dude has its charms :-)

We were offered beer immediately, some dark Scottish Ale of course. Now, beer and I are not best friends, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one, it was spicy, malty and woodsy, but very smooth and sweet tasting… which reminded me a lot of this maté!

Well it seems that Scotsmen live by one rule: «Cha deoch-slàint, i gun a tràghadh!» meaning «It’s no health if the glass is not emptied» (one guy actually tried to make me pronounce it Gaelic style, and I told him please just put it in writing, so I really didn’t know if it was accurate, but I checked and it seems to be!!!)

If they mean it for beer, well I mean it for tea!

Our night out wasn’t what we had expected, but we had lots of fun, we even danced on traditional Scottish music!

When I got home, I wanted to spend some time with The Twilight Sad, a fairly unknown but amazing Band from Scotland. (I’ve been on a tunes and tea mood lately) Yes, at 3 in morning, I put on their record full blast (living in the woods has its perks). Mr Right got up: What the …???? Oops sorry! Forgot it wasn’t boys night out! Yes, I am quite fun to live with apparently.

James, the signer has a haunting voice, here’s a good example of that. Hope they get the recognition they deserve one day, in the mean time, they make great tea companions!

(P.S. I know the album cover is dark and disturbing but so is their work, call it artistic approach!)

Invader Zim

Sounds like you had an awesome time! I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing some good looking men in kilts!

Bonnie

Bonny men in kilts…love it! Wish I was with you!!!

TheTeaFairy

Invader Zim & Bonnie, yes it was quite delightful… we thought we’d all make our husband a little jealous with the story… and we did :-) But my guy will never come near this type of garment, so we’ll leave it a that!

This was a free sample with my order! This one is so smooth it might be TOO smooth somehow. I’m not sure how to explain it. The flavors go so well together, it seems like it turns into ONE flavor. Make sense? Probably not. There is a definite chocolate with that great roasted mate flavor that is kind of earthy. I also tasted a hint of coconut and that was lovely in this blend too. The flowers were a bit of color! A yummy blend from Della Terra, but the flavors work so well together, they need something more to really pop. But maybe I’m just getting spoiled with all these ridiculous blends lately.

Drinking this to wake up right now. I don’t love it but it’s growing in me, I also really value mate in the morning so I’m going to need to stock up on some soon since I’m almost completely out. Suggestions are more than welcome!!

Shmiracles

i only have 2 mates and i haven’t even tried them yet. (chocolate rocket & honey bee from Davidstea) i know i sound like a crazy person typing this on a tea fan website, but i’m actually trying to cut down on caffeine, so the mate always makes me nervous. i just make cups of it for my boyfriend instead. :)

Tea Sipper

Fusion’s Pistachio Lime Mate is the best!!

Both dry and brewed the smells of the coconut, malt, and barely are at the forefront. Not sure how much chocolate flavor I’m getting from the scent at least. This kind of combine and remind of a licorice type scent, but that could just be my weird nose.
I went for a lower water temp than was suggested, mostly because that’s how I’ve done mate before, I also steeped it for a bit less. Taste wise, it’s interesting. Not sure how much mate I’m picking up, seems to be more spice type flavors. It’s sweet, but I’m having such trouble putting a descriptive phrase to the flavor because it reminds me of something, but it’s right there and I can’t figure out what it is. There is a light cocoa note, but I wouldn’t have named this Chocolate Mate, it doesn’t quite have enough chocolate in it for that. Just looked up that it had rooibos in it, didn’t realize. I think that’s the more dominant flavor, the sweet kind of woody caramel note.

Tea: 1 tsp
Water: 8 oz
Additives: none
Brewing method: My lovely forest teapot