Cherry Cola & Cake

Black Fruit Blend
Cake, Cherry, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Had with afternoon tea with the husband. This was one I knew I couldn't resist trying because my husband and I are both fans of out-there ambitious, seemingly hard to pull off flavors in things...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Digging into Della Terra's autumn tea collection! So far, everything smells delicious! There's definitely a cola-like smell to this tea, both dry and brewed, and it carries into the flavour,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2390 tasting notes
  • “I'm happy to be home, 4 nights away is just too long for me. I missed my kitty babies :( I've also come to realise that tea tastes better when I'm at home. This raw blend smells interesting...I...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1118 tasting notes
  • “God Dammit Steepster! Eating my tasting notes while I'm at work... On this stupid work till I can't copy/paste so there's no way to save my notes. Plus side? I have plenty of time to rewrite it......” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2067 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

Sit down, be my guest and have a slice of chocolate cake and a cherry cola. Oh, yes this is a tea, not the actual cake and cola, but you’ll love it just the same! Oh, and less calories of course.

Ingredients: Black tea, chocolate bits, cherry bits, cola flavor, cake flavor*

Suggested brewing tips:

Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving

Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil

Steep Time: 2-5 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

Had with afternoon tea with the husband. This was one I knew I couldn’t resist trying because my husband and I are both fans of out-there ambitious, seemingly hard to pull off flavors in things (bonus, he’s a lifelong cola fiend), even though I also knew the chance of failure and chemical weirdness was high given that ambition/novel weirdness and mixed reviews here. But this was better than I was expecting given the reviews. It’s not fantastic, but neither of us found it gross either—there’s a medicinal vaguely metallic note to evoke the cola that I can definitely see many Steepsters disliking but I don’t mind at all. Not something I need to restock—and after a cup the flavors build such that you don’t want any more—but I don’t regret trying it either.

VariaTEA

Have you tried the Cherry Cola from DAVIDs? I wonder how the two compare…hmmm…

Cavocorax

I think the Cherry Cola from DAVIDs was one of the worst teas I’d ever had. I hope this one is better. :P

VariaTEA

haha I would have to agree with you and unfortunately I have like 40 g of it :( I am not sure why I thought I would like it given I am incredibly picky over cola flavored things (as in if I order coke in a restaurant and they say they just have pepsi, I get water) and I especially don’t like hot soda or flat soda so I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought 50 g.

ifjuly

once on a whim i looked up the lowest rated tea on all of steepster out of morbid curiosity and IIRC, it was that one! i think soda teas have a hard time from the get-go because even when they pull it off it leaves people realizing the idea of flat hot coke is not actually that appealing, or at least not enough to make one want to drink more than one cup. ah well.

ifjuly

part of me is a little curious about grinding the tea into powder and baking with it though. you don’t see cola-flavored cookies or coffee cake or brownies very often…

ifjuly

or maybe whipped cream! hm.

VariaTEA

well if you are ever in need of cola tea to cook with just let me know :P

Kat

I keep almost buying this tea realizing that I need to not buy tea. But appreciate the review! The flavor profile interests me, as I am a HUGE coke person.

It almost might be less weird iced? Since you usually drink cola cold?

ifjuly

Kat, yeah, it’s the sort of thing you want to try out of interest knowing it’s probably not something you’d want to drink hot much for sure.

I often wonder about coldsteeping or syrup-ing teas flavored like cold drinks to begin with, feels a little like going around in circles…but on the other hand, tea has difference nuances and it’d be a neat way to get a sense of just how different flavoring tea to be like whatever drink is from the drink. Hmmmm…

VariaTEA, that is sweet of you to offer! If I ever get around to steeping this in cream somehow and then making it into whipped cream and it works well, I may just take you up on that! (:

Digging into Della Terra’s autumn tea collection! So far, everything smells delicious!

There’s definitely a cola-like smell to this tea, both dry and brewed, and it carries into the flavour, which is a mixture of what tastes like cola and chocolate cake. It’s really quite interesting, albeit rather weird. There’s no cherry to speak of, although I’m not sure I got any cherry pieces in my infuser either.

I’ll see what I think about this one after another cup, but I think it will be classified as “glad to have tried, would drink again, but not re-stock”. If you’re into cola-flavoured teas, I’d recommend this one. It’s definitely better than DavidsTea’s Cherry Cola!

I’m happy to be home, 4 nights away is just too long for me. I missed my kitty babies :( I’ve also come to realise that tea tastes better when I’m at home.

This raw blend smells interesting…I can smell cherry and cola but it’s chemical and thick, I can also smell what I believe to be citrus like strong lemon. It’s just strange, not awful and not great.

Once steeped the tea smells like a sweet, cinnamon, lemon, cola, cherry, darkly stodgy. Again just rather odd.

Flavour is like cheap cola but there is also some cake present, like baked sweet crumbs/bread that have been soaked in cherry cola. It tastes as bizarre as it smells. Has some sweetness and is rather thick in flavour. The black tea is malty which adds to the cake element. The lemon is strong, sour and tangy.

Honestly I didn’t know what cherry cola and cake would taste like anyway but the idea just sounded amazing. Well It doesn’t taste like I imagined but at the same time it does taste like it’s name. Maybe more lemonade and cake than cherry cola and cake.

I don’t think this tea is for me. It’s drinkable but not something I would crave or want to drink again. Oh well, they can’t all be winners.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 7 g 20 OZ / 600 ML
Memily

I want to try this just for its weirdness! I imagine it’s one of Those teas…

Kat

I really want to try this, as I really appreciate the flavor of cola, as stupid as that sounds, but no one seems to like it very much.

2067 tasting notes

God Dammit Steepster! Eating my tasting notes while I’m at work… On this stupid work till I can’t copy/paste so there’s no way to save my notes. Plus side? I have plenty of time to rewrite it…

Anyway this morning I went to make my work tea and I saw that the package of this was out on the counter despite my not having it in several days and definitely not bringing it out last night. Maybe Tre pulled it out and made himself a mug? That’d be out of character for him (especially since he hates Cherries) but I guess not totally unbelievable. I did just mail away the last of my Red Velvet Cake (I hated it, he loved it) so I suppose he has to find a replacement tea to drink now.

I decided, though, that why not make this as one of my two work teas? I haven’t had it in a while, and it’d be a good contrast to the other tea I had in mind. So for preparation, I used a level 1 1/2 tsp. in 10 oz. of boiling water for 4 minutes. I also steeped my other work tea (Buddha Bamboo, from Tea Desire) at the same time and the two teas steeping together, both with very strong aromas, created this really, really weird smell.

This was was poured into my water bottle because I figured I MIGHT like this better cold – I seem to have a problem with hot cola flavored things (coke just isn’t supposed to be hot – it’s not comforting and off putting). So, after the nice chilly trip to work this one is pretty cold. I can start sipping at it now!

Taste wise – the cakeyness is REALLY coming through strongly today. Everything else, though, is just a garbled mess where even though I know I’m tasting each listed ingredient the blend is just too busy and overwhelming for my to pin point anything in particular. However, occasionally in every few sips I am getting this very sharp note of cherry (like those cherry coke gummy candies) that bites through the mess of other things going on. However, that tastes fades back into the clusterfuck of other things going on just as quickly as it emerges.

Halfway relevant to this tea drinking experience, when I was making my tea this morning I forgot that I had cut open my gums under my lower lip – and each sip I take is irritating the cut and my poor, swollen, and tender mouth. I doubt the Buddha Bamboo is going to be much nicer on the mouth (but maybe on the taste buds) later today either. Ow :(

And, totally not related but on a more positive note, I’m happy to note that my mall seems to have invested in a few more holiday CDs (I’m convinced they were looping one, maybe two, with lyrics and then another one of all instrumental music). Maybe that’s because ‘Santa’ is coming to the mall today (his first day all the way until Dec. 23rd) and they wanted some variety and ‘newer’ music (what they’ve been playing is all old timey type of carols) for all the children and younger parents who’ll be in the mall.

Something else neat? When he shows up today he’ll be bringing his reindeer. That’s right – you heard me. There will be live reindeer in the mall today for a couple hours (though not 12, just four).

Received this one as a surprise from Roswell Strange. I was not expecting anything from her and she even had a ninja slip the tea into my mailbox when I wasn’t looking.

This one smells like those cola flavoured gummy candies and also of chocolate.

The brewed tea tastes like cola, there is definitely a cake base. While hot there is very light chocolate flavour, the chocolate becomes more dominate as it cools. I did have to add some brown rock sugar so that the taste wasn’t so flat. I did not get any cherry taste, but I am not really disappointed. I personally think this one could have done without the chocolate part, but I am biased in the sense that I like chocolate but not in tea.

This one definitely tastes very close to those cake recipes where you mix a can of coke with a boxed cake mix and microwave. Those are delicious and very dangerous (too easy to make, too delicious to eat)!!

Thanks Ros!

I got this as a free sample in my first Della Terra order. I just don’t care for this particular mix of flavors in my tea, hot or iced. The cola flavor tastes like those bottlecap candies. I didn’t really notice a standout cherry flavor. And the cake flavor was hidden behind all the cola taste. Too weird for me. It’s going in my swap box. But I still appreciate the free sample. Thanks, Della Terra!

Roswell Strange

I ordered a bit of this with my first Della Terra order a few months ago. I basically agree with everything you said, altough I DID find that the cherry could be noticible but only if you were extra sure you got one of the whole cherry chunks into the dry leaf used (and those were few and far betwen in my sample). Still very weird though, and with too much going on.

When smelling this tea, all I was getting was the cake, but when brewed this tea tastes exactly what it claims to be. I don’t know about the cherry part, but definitely cola and cake. It is good and definitely very interesting, but not a tea I would drink on a regular basis. It’s more of s novelty tea for me.

OMGSOGOOOOOD. This smells like cola and caramel, and has a really strong cola taste. There’s also some notes that I can kind of identify as cherry and cake knowing that’s what they’re going for, but probably wouldn’t if I’d tasted this without knowing. Still, definitely something more than the cola.

I usually don’t put anything in my tea, but this just called for a dash of sugar, and it’s pretty damned perfect. The black base is there but primarily works to support the flavours and doesn’t really stand out.

This is my first cola tea and I’m really impressed. I can’t drink carbonated stuff and I usually find it way to sugary anyway, so this is a really fantastic way to enjoy the cola flavour without all the other stuff.

Flavors: Cake, Cherry, Fruity