Rooibos Tea
Cake, Carrot, Maple, Spices
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Faith

From Della Terra Teas

Well, I know I love carrot cake, and I love a cup of rooibos. So, why not combine the two? That’s exactly what you have here! Just as you’d expect, all the spices and flavor of a cream cheese iced carrot cake!

Ingredients: Rooibos, spices, carrot bits, flavor

About Della Terra Teas View company

I left this to steep while putting away dishes, and stopped to wonder who brought me a slice of carrot cake. It smells that good, even the cream cheese frosting is there. The spices and flavour are really good too.
Not as strong (maybe a longer steep next time), but that is a carrot cake in my tea mug, and it is fabulous.

My first tea from the Great Canadian Traveling Tea Box! It was so exciting to hear that the box had been delivered, I probably spent the first half hour after I got home from work opening bags and smelling all the different teas. But since it’s a work night I had to limit my choices to caffeine free options and this one caught my interest.

Dry this tea has a very strong scent profile, sweet with a bit of tang that reminds me of cream cheese frosting. I don’t get much in the way of carrot at this point but there are some deeper notes under all the artificial “cake” scent that could be the carrot. I can also detect some of the spices as well which try to break up some of the super sweet notes present in this tea.

The liquor is a deep red-orange and smells of sweet cream cheese icing and cake (a touch artificial.) I get a few carrot notes every once and a while but they got a bit lost in the rest of the aroma. There’s also a film present on the top of the liquid.

Flavor wise, I defiantly get cake when drinking this but not much on the carrot side of things. With the various spices involved it’s almost more of a spice cake than a carrot one; I get definite hits of cinnamon while the rest is a bit muddled but I find that there’s hints of nutmeg and clove. The mouth feel is rich and creamy which complements the cream cheese frosting flavor, though I do find it to be a bit artificial.

An interesting tea and I can see why people like it but like the few DT cake teas that I’ve tried… Its just not for me. If it wasn’t for the “cake” notes I would probably like this more but I just find myself unable to really enjoy the artificial flavoring.

This tea is so good! I made it as a latte and it was very reminiscent of the dessert. As happy as I am with this, I wish I would have made something with caffeine. I am trying my best to write a paper and study for finals tomorrow. Only two more weeks before graduation! Yay!! :-)

Augh, this was incredible. I loved it just plain, but I was having it too late in the day and was going to be up all night visiting the bathroom so I was like: ADD MILK AND BROWN SUGAR, DRINK FASTERRRR and oh, man. Sweet yumminess. This is a keeper. I have 1 more sample here from cavocorax and then I’ll be making a wibbly face and making an order… ;)

(Another Della Terra purchase from the recent sale. I picked up an ounce.)

Oh my goodness, in the bag and while steeping, this tea smells so delicious! I love carrot cake and sniffing the bag was like having the real thing sitting on my counter top. I used about 2.5 teaspoons for my 16 oz steeping mug and added sweetener.

I’ll admit, I was worried about this one. I was kind of expecting it not to live up to my expectations; however, it has impressed me! It tastes like carrot cake (including the cream cheese icing) and it’s caffeine free! One thing though, I really have to savor and drink the tea slowly, otherwise, the 2nd sip kinds of mutes out the first one (if that makes any sense).

In any case, during the next Della Terra sale, I’ll be ordering more of this!

This smells genuinely like carrot cake. And it actually tastes pretty much like it too! Definitely way better than the David’s tea one. I even taste the frosting! I like that this is a rooibos as well. Very good.

This is a really good one! I seriously can’t believe how realistic it tastes (much like Della Terra’s Oatmeal Raisin cookie). I like that it is a bit savory, but I still get the touch of cream cheese frosting and cake sweetness as well. I’m plowing through this one ounce sample!

From what I can remember, this was a pretty popular blend from Della Terra prior to the ‘shut down’ they’re currently going through; I think it was on my wishlist for a while but I was never at the point where I was dying to try it.

However, when I recently participated in a group order from East Indies Tea Company, Della Terra’s supplier, I got a chance to nab an ounce of this blend I was still fairly curious about it – and an ounce is the perfect sample size to really get to play around with a flavoured tea like this so I was on board!

My first taste was hot in a timolino; I was expecting a move obvious ‘carrot’ flavour though I’m not sure why since the flavor carrot cake is in large part made up of the spices and the trademark cream cheese icing. The carrot I did taste was mellow and sweet though; kind of ‘carrot juice’ sweet but more subtle. I also tasted some lovely, gentle spice notes: cinnamon and nutmeg specifically. I like that sort of ‘warming’ spice flavour that doesn’t go as bold as most Chai, or which doesn’t incorporate ginger. Bleck; who needs ginger!? The rooibos base was present and tasted both peppery, which detracted from the blend, and a little like graham crumbs which in a way added to it even if ‘graham’ isn’t a traditional flavor related to carrot cake.

Now the cream cheese frosting: almost as crucial as the cake itself if not more to be perfectly honest…

I had high expectations because I’ve seen from other Della Terra/East Indies Tea Co. blends (namely Monkey Bread) that they can be very successful executing this flavour and so I expected that to be represented in this blend too. And I think it was. The aroma of the liquor (dry, steeping and steeped) was spot on cream cheese – the flavour a little milder, but still there. The “tang” of the cheese is there, and I can feel it on the sides of my tongue. Sure, I feel it everywhere but it lingers the longest there. It’s creamy too, but more muted.

I don’t know what exactly I expected overall – it wasn’t this, but even still I found this to be a pretty exceptional tea and I’m happy my curiosity drove me to try it.

Christina

Man, I wish I had known about the East Indies order because I would have totally got some of this. I had some of the old DT blend and it really got that cream cheese taste down.

TeaBrat

are they going for good?

Roswell Strange

No, I believe they intend to reopen for the fall (though not with the full line up of tea they had prior). There’s a bit more info up on their FB page, I believe.

Another one rescued from languishing in my stash. I think I bought this one about a year ago, and I just never got around to pulling it out. Now’s its chance!

I think it’s fair to say that I’m in love with this one even just having opened the bag. It smells so much like cream cheese icing and rich, spiced cake, it’s ridiculous! It reminds me most at this point of Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake – it shares the same “cakey” scent. The thing I like most about the dry mix is actually the tiny caramac chips, although pieces of carrot and orange peel are also readily visible. I think it’s going to be a good one! I gave 1 tsp of leaf 3 minutes in boiling water. No additions. It filled the whole kitchen with the scent of carrot cake; a blissful 3 minute break from work.

Fortunately, I’m not wrong about this being a good one. It’s not often that a flavoured tea lives up to its scent, but this is one that definitely does. The initial flavour is spiced icing, with the cinnamon and orange coming through readily, along with a rich, almost tooth-tingling, sweetness. There’s a cream cheese aspect, too, which adds an almost cool, slightly sour tang right at the end of the sip. The “carrot cake” itself resides mainly in the mid sip, with a pleasant raisin note and a lovely smack of Della Terra “cake” flavouring. It’s a beautiful thing.

This one has a rooibos base, but it’s hard to tell under all of the flavouring. This makes for a delicious dessert tea – and a real dessert replacement, rather than the inspiration for a craving. This is one sample I’ll have no trouble polishing off!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Thanks Ost for the sample. I let it steep for 5 minutes, and it was a little thin. Woodsy, some spice, a little hint of cake flavor every once in a while. Not great, maybe a longer steep would have helped.