Upside Down Rooibos

Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 oz / 354 ml

From Della Terra Teas

Love our classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake black tea but love rooibos? Well, here you go! The amazing taste of a great upside down cake paired with rooibos. Can’t be beat!

Ingredients: Rooibos, dried pineapple, cherry bits, fruit bits, flavor*

Suggested brewing tips:

Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving

Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil

Steep Time: 2-5 minutes

*Tea add ins subject to change due to availability

About Della Terra Teas View company

I still don’t think the pineapple or cherries come across very well, despite the rather large chunks of both present in the dry leaf I scooped out. Instead, it has rather a heavy maple and brown sugar flavor which still reminds me somewhat of cake, but since I don’t taste the fruit aspects this falls a little short of the mark for me.

You can check out my full review on my blog:

I popped this tea into my shopping cart when I saw that it was made with a rooibos base. Even though I didn’t enjoy the black tea version all that much, it seems like it would have better luck with my tastebuds simply by changing the base! The scent of this tea reminds me of DavidsTeas’ Birthday Cake rooibos. They both have a relatively heavy maple syrup scent. I have to admit that the maple syrup scent is my least favorite part of the Birthday Cake blend simply because I’m looking for cake, not something with maple (although there is always a time and place for maple!)

Sipping… ooh, I like this one so much more than the black tea version. There isn’t a whole lot of pineapple upside down cake flavor — more of a generalized starchy sweetness. I actually don’t think I’d identify this flavor as being cake, but as something “desserty”. I know I’m not being all that specific, but that’s what this tea is like to me. Slurping brings out more of the fruity aspects of the dessert — again, not really specific for cherries or pineapple, but it adds a nice layer on top of the cake. There is a little bit of maple syrup still in the background which actually makes this tea taste a bit like pancakes. Not a bad thing… I LOVE pancakes!

This has now taken the first spot as my favorite tea from Della Terra. It’s not amazing, but makes a decent cup. I had to lower the rating on the Blueberry Crumble blend since it doesn’t taste all that great to me anymore. I’d recommend this tea to anyone who loves rooibos and enjoyed the original version of this tea.

I’m horribly indecisive, which explains my initial ho-hum review and the fact that I finished off my 1oz bag of this tonight. I managed to get 3 fullish teaspoons, which means it will last 2 steeps, but it’s a bit strange. I still think this doesn’t taste much like pineapple but something about it has been satisfying. Sipdown!

This is actually better than the black tea. It smells fantastic. The flavor is still delicious, and it’s like having a lighter cake.

The dry leaf of this one smells strongly of maple syrup. This tea tastes a lot, and I mean almost exactly, like David’s birthday cake. I don’t get any pineapple at all and definitely no cherry. This is good, but not what you would expect it to be.

I’ve been drinking this at work, and every time I brew a cup of this, a coworker wanders by my office and then pokes his/her head in. “What’s that delicious smell?”

“Oh, just my tea.”

“It smells like maple syrup.”

Every. Time. :)

Oh this smells divine!
Thank you QueenOfTarts for sending me a sample!!

This definitely reminds me of DAVIDs Coffee Cake, lessen the coffee but add more sweet cake to it. And this is rooibos, rather than black. Definitely does give off the nice and sweet aroma!
The woodsy, sweet rooibos definitely comes out when it steeps. oh for some reason, it tastes like how a sweet coffee cake would taste like if it were baked in an open fire oven atop cedar wood. It has the sweet, cake-y smell, but like.. it tastes like red. And red to me is cedar wood and it tastes lovely :)

So I’m studying for Forensic Anthropology, but decided to take a break for dinner. And with dinner, I always watch a show! What better show than Bones hehe :) Every time I watch that show now, I test my anthropology skills. The second Bones said ‘narrow nasal aperture’ and something about the mandible, I knew that the victim was a caucasoid. And now, I’m about half an hour in and they’ve just identified the murder weapon, and I’m all BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA TO THE STERNUM YES. Mainly because like a majority of our final tomorrow is on trauma so that’s a thing I’ll need to know :)

But because of this Forensic Anthropology course, I’m actually understanding everything they’re saying. Whether if its sexing an individual, or figuring out their race or age, I completely understand. It’s actually quite fascinating :) I love how I can watch this show and it’ll still be valuable to my education hehe

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Coffee, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 4 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cheri

Do you get pineapple from this one? Your description doesn’t sound like you do. I’m not a pineapple fan, and otherwise this tea sounds yum!

And it also sounds like you’re going to do really well in your class!

VariaTEA

Good luck on your final!! I minored in anthropology and found it interesting. Unfortunately, I did not get the option to take as many forensic anthropology courses as I would have liked though.

VariaTEA

Also, that reminds me…I have some catching up to do on Bones

jump62359

*Cheri, *I surprisingly did not find pineapple in this tea, nor DAVIDs Coffee Cake! Coffee Cake is good for a dark, robust tea. This one is more on the sweeter end of cakey goodness :)

VariaTEA, thank you tons! This is my second anthro class that I’ve taken and honestly, I just took it for GE requirements haha. Luckily it’s something that I’m pretty fascinated by (thank you to Bones hehe), so studying for this final is a breeze!

I’m just scared for this final since its 50% of my grade!! I have a 97% in the class but… dude. I really want to keep my A in that class!

VariaTEA

I am sure you will keep your A. I mean with a 97%, I feel it is safe to say you know your stuff. Just don’t stress and I am sure you will do amazing.

Cheri

C’mon, you’re going to do awesome on this final. =)

jump62359

I just finished my final and it took me about 45 minutes. Though it took me a short time, I’m quite confident I still maintained my A in the class!!

Yay!! Congrats!!

Sipdown. I tried the last of this iced. The cherry notes really come out. Tart and sweet. I’m not getting much cakiness. Maybe a hint of pineapple, but that might be power of suggestion. Oh so slightly creamy. Mostly this tastes like a cherry iced rooibos. Yummy. Still nothing like the original upside down tea, though.