Upside Down Rooibos

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

From Della Terra Teas

Love our classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake black tea but love rooibos? Well, here you go! The amazing taste of a great upside down cake paired with rooibos. Can’t be beat!

Ingredients: Rooibos, dried pineapple, cherry bits, fruit bits, flavor*

Suggested brewing tips:

Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving

Water Temp: 212 degree or to a boil

Steep Time: 2-5 minutes

*Tea add ins subject to change due to availability

About Della Terra Teas View company

I still don’t think the pineapple or cherries come across very well, despite the rather large chunks of both present in the dry leaf I scooped out. Instead, it has rather a heavy maple and brown sugar flavor which still reminds me somewhat of cake, but since I don’t taste the fruit aspects this falls a little short of the mark for me.

You can check out my full review on my blog:

I popped this tea into my shopping cart when I saw that it was made with a rooibos base. Even though I didn’t enjoy the black tea version all that much, it seems like it would have better luck with my tastebuds simply by changing the base! The scent of this tea reminds me of DavidsTeas’ Birthday Cake rooibos. They both have a relatively heavy maple syrup scent. I have to admit that the maple syrup scent is my least favorite part of the Birthday Cake blend simply because I’m looking for cake, not something with maple (although there is always a time and place for maple!)

Sipping… ooh, I like this one so much more than the black tea version. There isn’t a whole lot of pineapple upside down cake flavor — more of a generalized starchy sweetness. I actually don’t think I’d identify this flavor as being cake, but as something “desserty”. I know I’m not being all that specific, but that’s what this tea is like to me. Slurping brings out more of the fruity aspects of the dessert — again, not really specific for cherries or pineapple, but it adds a nice layer on top of the cake. There is a little bit of maple syrup still in the background which actually makes this tea taste a bit like pancakes. Not a bad thing… I LOVE pancakes!

This has now taken the first spot as my favorite tea from Della Terra. It’s not amazing, but makes a decent cup. I had to lower the rating on the Blueberry Crumble blend since it doesn’t taste all that great to me anymore. I’d recommend this tea to anyone who loves rooibos and enjoyed the original version of this tea.

I’m horribly indecisive, which explains my initial ho-hum review and the fact that I finished off my 1oz bag of this tonight. I managed to get 3 fullish teaspoons, which means it will last 2 steeps, but it’s a bit strange. I still think this doesn’t taste much like pineapple but something about it has been satisfying. Sipdown!

This is actually better than the black tea. It smells fantastic. The flavor is still delicious, and it’s like having a lighter cake.

The dry leaf of this one smells strongly of maple syrup. This tea tastes a lot, and I mean almost exactly, like David’s birthday cake. I don’t get any pineapple at all and definitely no cherry. This is good, but not what you would expect it to be.

I’ve been drinking this at work, and every time I brew a cup of this, a coworker wanders by my office and then pokes his/her head in. “What’s that delicious smell?”

“Oh, just my tea.”

“It smells like maple syrup.”

Every. Time. :)

Sipdown. I tried the last of this iced. The cherry notes really come out. Tart and sweet. I’m not getting much cakiness. Maybe a hint of pineapple, but that might be power of suggestion. Oh so slightly creamy. Mostly this tastes like a cherry iced rooibos. Yummy. Still nothing like the original upside down tea, though.