Caramel Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Caramel, Cream, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Tealizzy

• “On the Fifth Day of Christmas, Della Terra Teas sent me this tea! Sorry for the gap in my "advent calendar" postings, but I came down with a bad bout of food poisoning (not that any bout of food...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes
  • “This tea was pretty good. Yesterday I had wrote the brewing parameters on the bag. So when I brewed this up today, I didn't look at the ingredients. I usually try not to read ingredients or tasting...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes
  • “Enjoyed this to-go on my way to a doctor's appointment today. I'm having some foot issues...the result, I need new shoes. Good excuse to go shopping!! Although, I'd rather be Shou shopping, if you...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 609 tasting notes
  • “Oooh, first tasting note! No pressure! LOL *BrewTEAlly Sweet* was kind enough to send me a sample of this. It smells REALLY caramelly! I'm a bit picky with my dark oolongs. Some of them just...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 972 tasting notes

From Della Terra Teas

Creamy caramel with the natural sweetness and richness of Oolong. This tea is perfect for any time of day, but as an after dinner treat it’s just perfect!

Ingredients: Oolong tea, caramel and creme flavoring, orange peels and flavoring*

Allergens: contains dairy. For more allergy info visit our FAQ

Suggested brewing tips:

Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving

Water Temp: 176-185°F

Steep Time: 2-3 minutes

About Della Terra Teas View company

Here’s Hoping Traveling Teabox Round #3 – Tea #27
These caramel oolongs never seem to get much love. I think the fault is always the low temperature suggested. They don’t seem to taste too badly when I use almost boiling water. After all, if you can use boiling water on a green oolong, why not a roasted oolong? Here the roasty oolong doesn’t have too much oolong flavor to begin with, but at boiling, the oolong can really mingle with whatever caramel is here: the little caramel squares. I like the sweetness and that is all caramel really is anyway. I like it… but I suggest those trying dark oolongs to try the low steep AND just boiled. Also, I do believe I have just tasted all of the DT caramel teas, according to my search for DT ‘caramel’. Jeeze.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 tsp // 15 min after boiling // 2-3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

Definitely caramel-y. But nothing really remarkable. Wouldn’t buy this tea. But thanks for the sample, Lariel! (: Now I’ll save my money!

I don’t know much about oolongs, but this one is definitely oxidized – the leaves are extremely dark brown, almost black. They’re large leaves that are rolled into loose pellets and a few of them are unrolled. There are yellow flower petals (I assume for aesthetics) and little baby cubes of some form of caramel solid. This tea smells fantastic! It reminds me of butter rum lifesavers mixed with Werther’s hard candies. Yum yum yum! I want this as a perfume – I would have to beat them away with a stick! The leaves are fairly bulky so I used a very heaping teaspoon for my 8 ounces of water.

The brewed tea smells so buttery, it just melts you from the inside. The sweet, caramely scent is there too, playing second fiddle. This tea tastes fantastic too! The butter hits first, then the sweet caramel and cream flavors. I don’t know anything about oolong, but I feel like this one must be toasted because there’s this amazing rich, roasty toasty nut flavor in the background. It totally makes this tea! It’s like a sweet, flaky, buttery roasted almond tart with caramel and honey drizzled all over the top. Everyone must try this now! Go go! Oh, and I added a little bit of sugar to this one.

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Cream, Roasted nuts

Sami Kelsh

Oh lordy. I am such a sucker for caramel anything. This sounds like something for which I have a MIGHTY NEED.

Cameron B.

Yes, yes you do have a mighty need. Trust me. ;)

A nice mellow and simple tea…it is a dark roast oolong, so more like a lighter black, and the sweet caramel…it is like warm arms wrapping around my taste buds and giving a comfy hug. There is nothing overwhelming with this one…sometimes simple and sweet is all a girl needs. :)

I’m pleased with this one. It’s one of the better ones I have tried from my Della Terra order.

I caved and order three 1 oz teas recently from DTT, this being one of them.

It came this morning, and in my excitement (“new shiny things all for me!!”) I forgot that I said I was going to start my day with Butiki’s White Rhino and I made some of this instead.

I was underwhelmed. It’s a perfectly ok tea, the flavoring isn’t overly sweet or chemical tasting, but the base is also not very strong, so there’s nothing about the cup that really stands out. I was hoping the oolong would be more buttery because I thought that would compliment some caramel flavoring very well.

Unfortunately the base is just kind of there, which makes the tea overall kind of just “meh” for me in general.

May end up in my swap pile.

I may be done with DTT….two more teas to try!
I think I’m just looking for something MORE.

I should have stuck with my decision to start the morning with White Rhino!

This was a sample I received in the LiberTeas box. Thank you for allowing me to try this one.

This has some good flavor, caramel, burnt sugar, but the base is very weak. It seems to be my complaint with all of Della Terra Teas that aren’t Rooibos. I wish I loved these more. This will not be a repurchase for me.

This tea is just not cooperating with me. I’m not getting the dark oolong goodness others are getting, but a light roasted oolong with a golden ochre colour.

I tried first at 185F steeping, and the tea was on the light side, but with a good caramel sweets flavor, with a light nutty roasty oolong background. A little bit of orange flavor, but still good. Overall, light and watery on flavor.

So I went in again, this time with 200F water and a bit more leaf. The caramel flavor is brighter, with the oolong tasting sharper, but still not rich, and with some light to moderate astringency at the end, making the cup not as enjoyable – it lacked that smoothness my last cup had.

I was actually going to review it for Oolong Owl, but yeah, not happy this tea isn’t turning out how others here are getting it.

Stephanie

Have you tried Golden Moon’s sugar caramel oolong? Yum.

Awkward Soul / Oolong Owl

I haven’t, but Golden Moon is on my list to order from sometime. So many teas!

I got this one in my sampler sort of on a whim—oolong, caramel, and that was about all I knew about it. I’m really glad, because even though I hadn’t seen any reviews of this one, it’s a beauty. The oolong and caramel flavors blend together really well, and the caramel manages to be true. It’s creamy and fresh-tasting. The mouthfeel is even a little thick! I would say in concept and flavor this is somewhere in between Silk Dragon and GM’s Sugar Caramel oolong, but they’re all different enough that I would keep all three around. Did I mention I love caramel, both to eat and drink?

Oomph…this is a smooth, creamy oolong that slithers along the inside of your mouth and leaves a sweet sort of caramel lingering on the palate. The oolong has all of these roasty notes that sit right in the middle of this whole caramel oozy delightfulness.

I’m kinda in love with this cup, honestly, but I will admit that it gets a little too sweet as it cools. I’ll probably put less sugar in future cups so that I can enjoy the flavour without so much saccharine heaviness at the end.

Great tea, though, and one I’d gladly drink again.