Genmaicha Extra Green

Green Tea
Grass, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaisforTara

• “Yum. Genmaicha has been one of my favorite teas since my macrobiotic diet days. I also drank a lot of twig tea by Choice Organic; I need to get that again someday. Anyway it's been a busy...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2169 tasting notes
  • “Got back late last night from my trip to Michigan where I sadly had hardly any tea. So what better way to get back into the swing of things than to drink my favorite tea. Oh...and some good...” Read full tasting note
    jennlea 162 tasting notes
  • “I'm not gutsy enough to put boiled water over matcha, so that didn't happen. But I needed a caffeinated pick me up to drag me through the rest of the day, so what than genmaicha with an extra dose...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 598 tasting notes
  • “I've had a very stressful week traveling for work. No sleep. Working with annoying people. Argh! I took a bunch of tea with me to try. While I didn't have ideal brewing conditions, I was still...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes

From Den's Tea

This is Den’s Tea special blend of Genmaicha with Matcha. This blend uses a tea ceremony grade of matcha and quality Bancha.

Origin: Shizuoka
Harvest: A Blend of 2009 First & Second Harvests
Species: Yabukita

Tasting Profile:
Highly aromatic tea. The Matcha contributes its natural sweetness to the full nutty flavor of the Genmaicha.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 4oz boiled
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 rounded teaspoon
Steep: 30 sec
2nd Cup: Water Boiled; Steep 15 sec

For a cup of Iced Tea: Put 50% more amount of tea leaves into a teapot. Steep as directed for hot tea. Once you brew it, put ices into the cup to lock in the aroma.

About Den's Tea View company

The matcha gives this genmaicha a little kick! I did not see any popcorn in my bag, just popped rice. I of course could not taste it either. The roasted rice had a nice flavor, though.

After my disappointing tea this morning I was looking for something a little simpler and with quieter flavors. My Tower of London made the whole room smell like cherries, which I actually did not enjoy. The smell was a little like artificial candy or cough syrup. I wanted something green and nice after that!

This was a good tea. I think perhaps I steeped it too long, but it did not seem to matter. Still delicious and roasty! Yum, just right on this chilly morning.

This is the fourth of the Den’s Tea sample. I have never tried matcha iri genmaicha before, so tasting this tea for the first time was an adventure I had been looking forward to!

I smelled the leaves before and after the first infusion. Dry, matcha dominated. When wet, the genmaicha was much stronger; the aroma was more roasted and nutty. As for the aroma of the tea, it was lightly roasted. The liquor, expectantly, was cloudy and emerald green. The flavor was unusual, one I didn’t anticipate. There might as well have been three separate flavors. Initially, it tasted of genmaicha. After allowing the tea to rest in my mouth for a few seconds, I tasted a balance between the matcha and the genmaicha. Lastly, the aftertaste pretty much consisted of the bitter matcha.

I must have done something wrong with both infusions. The flavor of the second one was weak and left no taste. Well, regardless, the first infusion was delicious. Additionally, I felt more serene with each sip. I recommend this tea for those who enjoy Japanese green tea, particularly matcha.

The best Genmaicha I have ever had. Great flavor.

How to best describe this tea…It’s bitter in the sense that it tastes like a green tea without being overly astringent. This may be due to the matcha; the first two steepings of this were not-bitter to the point of being kind of steep. Even when the matcha runs out, the tea is still tasty. Pretty too, and the rice makes the smell delicious, like the bottom of a rice cooker.

The bright green color, the smell of roasted rice filling the room on a dreary morning, it must be Genmaicha time again.

This tea is the perfect way to start the day. The vibrant color will wake your eyes up with its brilliant green and the super aromatic rice will knock you off your feet.

This tea is a great replacement for that morning cup of Joe and more than likely will cost you less than Joe as well.

All in all, a great tea for the masses.

This is my daily drinker now. It’s bright green and tasty! The first cup contains a greater portion of the matcha and thus is sweeter than normal genmaicha. I generally get about four infusion from 4g of it. Cheaper than sencha, but more interesting then standard genmaicha!

First time brewing: Used about 4-5 grams. Very tasty, but sort of weak; I think I usually use more than 5 grams for my big cup (probably around 10 grams). Next time I’ll either double the tea or halve the water. Even with this weak brew, the buzz was quite potent. Might be order-worthy if brewed stronger. Might try less heat, more time, too.

Second time brewing: Only had about 5g left (at the very most), so I used about half the amount of water I normally would. It smells amazing (roasted rice smell) and has a beautiful green color. It tastes sort of like matcha mixed with genmaicha (obviously), but it’s very appetizing and gives a great tea buzz even with a small dose. The second infusion completely lacks the green color of the first – I guess all the matcha is gone.This second infusion has more of a genmaicha taste.

This was one of the samples in my Den’s sampler. If you haven’t ordered this yet, I highly recommend it. Only $3.

This tea was very good. I love the toasty flavor the added matcha makes it that much greener. Mmmm. All the things I love about genmaicha.

Full-bodied Genmaicha. Strong yet smooth toasted rice/popcorn taste. Grassy. Milky. Malty. So far, my favorite Genmaicha.

Flavors: Grass, Malt

Yum yum i love this tea! Green AND toasty! My Friday started off pretty weak, ended up fairly awesome! This is just the ice cream. :)