Genmaicha Extra Green (with Matcha) Sampler pack

Green Tea
Nuts, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by seule771

• “Had this one as a comparison with Butiki's genmaicha and I think i prefer both her version and the one from verdant much better if i'm going to be drinking this type of tea. There's nothing wrong...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4674 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: The freshly opened package and smell of the dry leaves makes my mouth water! There's plenty of toasted rice aroma rising from this tea. The added Matcha seems to include the right...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 133 tasting notes
  • “A review of Genmaicha Extra Green (with Matcha) by Den’s Tea This is Den’s Tea special blend of Genmaicha with Matcha. This blend uses a tea ceremony grade of Matcha and quality...” Read full tasting note
    seule771 600 tasting notes
  • “Backlog. Yesterday, I had an early start to classes, so I brought this with me in my tumbler. I have decided that I'm only going to bring less finicky teas to school, and I remember this one as...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 420 tasting notes

From Den's Tea

Genmaicha is a blend of Bancha with well roasted brown rice, called Genmai. The rice adds a nutty taste and roasted aroma. It is popular in Japan as an every day tea. Flowery-green aroma.

This is Den’s Tea special blend of Genmaicha with Matcha. This blend uses a tea ceremony grade of Matcha and quality Bancha.

Origin: Shizuoka
Harvest: A blend of First & Second Harvests

About Den's Tea View company

Had this one as a comparison with Butiki’s genmaicha and I think i prefer both her version and the one from verdant much better if i’m going to be drinking this type of tea. There’s nothing wrong with this one exactly, but when doing a direct comparison, this one is inferior to butiki’s.

There’s plenty of toasted rice aroma rising from this tea. The added Matcha seems to include the right amount of refreshing vegetal notes. The rice swells up nicely after infusion, without separating and becoming mushy.

The poured liquid is smooth, almost straight water smooth. There is also a warming and comforting element to this tea. It certainly put me in a better mood after a long day at work.

I find this tea perfect to enjoy halfway through the evening, either before or after dinner. It’s not for everyone, in fact, only my son and I found it delicious in this household.

A review of Genmaicha Extra Green (with Matcha) by Den’s Tea

Origin: Shizuoka
Harvest: A blend of First & Second Harvests

This tea smells lovely from first opening of the foil bag to the steeping of this tea and to finally drinking the tea.
It is suggested that this tea be steep for 30 second for the 1st steep; I take a rounded heaping teaspoon and put this in my cup and pour in the boiled water and left to steep. When the times seem right, I remove the covering from the tea and I am met with a very rich flavorful cup of tea. It is very green in color with the roasted brown rice floating loosely in my cup. At first it smells like popcorn, the kernels of corn not cooked at the bottom of the bag; and as the tea cools down I am met with a rice crispy kind of smell.

So this tea’s aroma is most invigorating as well as intoxicating. In tasting the tea, one is met with the rice’s grainy textures or the best wording is ‘nutty’. This 1st cup of tea is very filling, for a somewhat medium bodied tea.

I try this tea next with a 2nd steep for 15 second and adding the boiled water to my cup with the tealeaves already loose and immersed in the boiled water. The tea’s aroma with this short infusion is more vegetal and sweet and when tasted I am met with the matcha this time and not so much of the grainy texture of the rice.

1st infusion for 30 seconds yields a highly aromatic aroma in the tea. The tea’s color is green and the taste is very grainy; smelling/tasting like rice crispies.
2nd infusion for 15 seconds gives way to another layering to be found in this tea; the astringency of the matcha, giving this tea its natural sweetness with a slight astringency.

Overall, this tea is green in color with the 1st steeping to be more of roasted rice for aroma and flavor. With the 2nd steep tea is more grassy tasting, slight oceany taste to it as the matcha flavoring comes through.

gmathis

I like your reviews! They’re very pleasant and calming, no matter what kind of tea you’ve tasted. Thanks for sharing.

Backlog. Yesterday, I had an early start to classes, so I brought this with me in my tumbler. I have decided that I’m only going to bring less finicky teas to school, and I remember this one as being very generous. I’m increasing the rating because even though I’m pretty sure my water was too hot, it didn’t get bitter. I like the combo of the flavorful toastiness from the genmaicha and the energy boost from the matcha. I only have one teaspoon left, though, nooo!

I’ve never had a genmaicha like this before. A fine coating of matcha is dusted on everything, which looks pretty darn cool looking.

I saw the directions had instructions for icing this, and even though I basically ice or cold brew everything, I’ve never thought of trying a genmaicha cold. So obviously that’s what I had to try.

I combined both the first and second steepings and iced them. Dang, I like this. I’ve had roasty teas iced, and I’ve had green teas iced, but never together. I already know that I love the combination of roasty toasty comfort, with sweet delicious vegetal when hot, but cold it’s so similar, yet different when cold. Instead of being warm and comfy, it’s refreshing and complex. The notes are all the same, but the tone is different. This is another one I’ll need to restock.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Cameron B.

This is my favorite traditional genmaicha out of the brands I’ve tried so far. :)

Cheri

I didn’t ice mine but now I kind of which I had. It sounds delicious!

Hello delicious. This is my first genmaicha which came in the Green Tea for novices pack. And what an incredibly generous pack that is. I brewed it as per directions. Boiling water, first infusion 30 seconds, second infusion 15 (although that felt backwards, is one not supposed to increase the steep time per infusion?).

This smells just like rice cakes – and this is a good thing. It tastes sweet and vegetal. Great tea for the evening, no astringency or bitter notes. I was not able to discern what flavor the Matcha added as I have never had Matcha or genmaicha before.