Fukamushi-Sencha Yame

Green Tea
Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Den's Tea

It is our best quality Fukamushi-Sencha and is also unique in that it is from a special species, Yutakamidori. Den’s favorite Fukamushi-Sencha.

Origin: Yame, Fukuoka
Harvest: First Flush 2009
Species: Yutakamidori

Tasting Profile:
A robust chestnut-like flavor and vibrant green color. Mild but full-bodied.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 3oz @ 160F
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 level teaspoon
Steep: 45 sec
2nd Cup: Water @ 180F; Steep 15 sec

About Den's Tea View company

Oh my gosh this is a weird Sencha! At least compared to the ones I’ve had so far.

I made it 2g to 2oz, 180 degrees, 10 sec

It is VERY strong. There is a bitter green taste to it, kind of like brussel sprouts or the peel of a zucchini. Usually I find bitter to be bad, most senchas I’ve have a bitterness that puts me off to some extent… This isn’t that type of bitter. It is in the roof of the mouth and back half of the tongue. I gives the sip a wow factor

It’s strong and very dark green in flavor, and it has a silky nature to it. A light amount of astringency. A refreshing factor.

This, after their Sakura Sencha, is my favorite Sencha I’ve had yet.

Ah, one of my favorites!

The Fukamushi Sencha Yame from Den’s has been one of my favorites since I first discovered “real” Japanese green tea. It can occasionally be bit tempermental if brewed a bit too hot from the outset (or [in this instance] brewed a little too thin), but I know I can always count on it for a quality cuppa green.

I thought I was almost out of this tea, but I dumped the remainder of my tin onto the scale this morning and saw “18G.” Alright! With ~3 good pots left, I decided to skim off 6G and toss it in my ~350ml kyusu for a big pot of morning tea.

After brewing the first up (165*/ 90 secs), I realized that I should have added a couple more grams to the pot — I love the full-bodied, slightly thick nature of this tea when it’s closer to a 1:1 ratio. Still, I very much enjoyed the mild, kelp-y sweetness that I can squeeze out of this tea when I brew it at a lower temperature from the start.

Once I finished my second cup, I noticed that my tongue still feels soft and smooth, with lingering fruit-y notes that stuck around for afterwards. Mmm! I don’t notice any bitterness or astringency until my 3rd and 4th steepings (both over 185*), but you can easily remedy that by starting about 10-15* hotter in the beginning.

Here’s the second of three teas that I recently purchased when Den had a sale of a few of his teas. I brewed this in a 4 oz Kyusu that I purchased from Yuuki-Cha, and I followed Den’s instructions for the first steeping (160 degrees, 30 seconds, 1 teaspoon or 3 grams for me).

As with the sencha that I had yesterday, I really don’t feel like I’m getting the full array of vegetal and seaweed tones that I typically get from my other senchas. This certainly isn’t a bad tea per se, but there is nothing special about it. I did enjoy this one a little bit more than the sencha-ryoku I had yesterday, and this tea also had a beautiful emerald green brew.

Next time I think I am going to try steeping perhaps with 4 g of tea for the 4 oz of water. Den recommends a teaspoon (I’m guessing 2-3 g here), but perhaps i need to try a little more and see if that gives me the taste I’m looking for.

Oooh yum yum yum, this is a wonderful sencha. It’s very savory and light/refreshing at the same time. It’s astringency is right on, enough to have that refreshing bite and remind you it’s tea and not some sort of magic butter grass water.. Okay but in all seriousness this is a wonderful green tea. I would not tire of this easily.
I also love the little pamphlets of info that game with the Dens tea sampler, I lowered the temp of my water before brewing to 160 very easily. First infusion, 169 for 45’ second infusion was 180 for 29 second. The second infusions color was soo vibrant, very pretty.
I will be buying this with that tea pot I’ve been eyeing.

I have had the nice experience of trying the wide variety of tea from Den’s Tea. While I haven’t loved every cup, I appreciate the differences and details of each. Such different and interesting flavors can come from green tea! The dry leaf smells sweet and grassy. As far as the actual taste is concerned, I can pick up a slight saltiness & bitterness, but most of all, a dominating grassy flavor. Each sip ends with a kind of tame sweetness. A nice, very satisfying tea.

Very nice, really enjoyable. Good punch and depth – fair bit of sweetness. Aromas very attractive.

Price: $15.50 for 56g.
Buy Again: Yes

Shinobi_cha

I’ve only had a sample of this, but I really liked it, too. I’m looking to getting it again sometime.

Wonderfully toasted, seaweed notes, but it’s not fishy in any way. Lots of umami. Emerald green color. I drink this tea and read as part of my evening ritual.

Oolonga

I was contemplating on whether I should put this in my shopping cart or not a few days ago when I was ordering from Den’s. I wish I did. Well, next time then…

Cofftea

UMAMI! I love Den’s. Definitely next time I have the storage. Thanks for mentioning it otherwise I would have just blown over your review.:)

I think I may have scorched this in my new yixing pot earlier. It just came out very bitter. Brewing it this time though, I could easily compare it to the sencha fuka-midori. It’s not quite as seaweedy as the fuka-midori, so it’s just buttery and very smooth. I was looking through Den’s site, and it’s all very expensive, so I doubt that I’ll try this again any time soon, but it was awesome to try.

This is a very mellow yet well defined green tea. Mellow in that it isn’t very acidic. Well defined in that it has a definite green tea smell and taste. It is just so well mannered and refined I felt like I should sip it out of a porcelain cup at afternoon tea.

Flavors: Vegetal

160 °F / 71 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
ZipRedAcrossBlue

I’m trying experiments with this tea since I think the default amount is too strong. I just tried 8 g/16 oz at 160 for 2 minutes. The result is more acidic than I like and very vegetable-y. So I’ll need to try again but maybe this time for 45 seconds (the time suggested on the package).

ZipRedAcrossBlue

Tried a second pull yesterday with 160 degrees water but 1 minute steep time and that produced a weak tea.

ZipRedAcrossBlue

I tried a first pull using 8 g/16 oz at 160 for 1 minute (rather than the 2 minutes I used before). The result is a much less acidic tea but also, frankly, a less defined tea. The major taste is just vegetable.

I suspect that if one wants to get the best out of this tea one has to use the 3 oz/2 G ratio which means that a 16 0z cup needs roughly 10 G of tea. Which is a huge amount and will not let me sleep. So if I can’t find a better balance I’ll probably have to abandon this tea. :(

ZipRedAcrossBlue

For the second pull on the weaker tea I tried 160 for 2 minutes (upping it from the 1 minute last time). It has a taste so subtle it might as well just be hot water. :(

Sample sipdown…
I could have sworn I reviewed this tea before but according to Steepster I haven’t. Anyway this is a sample I got from Den’s Tea which is a few months old at least, but it was very well sealed so I’d think it’s fresh.

I’m still sick and am going to the Dr. today because I suspect I have a sinus infection. I don’t know how much this is affecting my tastebuds, but I still feel like they are okay.

I definitely have enjoyed these type of fukamuhi senchas in the past. After steeping for 90 seconds, the tea liquor is light green and is very fresh and mostly sweet. I get a lot of spinach notes here and not a lot of noticeable astringency. Hopefully this will perk me up a bit…