Fukamushi-Sencha Yame

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Den's Tea

It is our best quality Fukamushi-Sencha and is also unique in that it is from a special species, Yutakamidori. Den’s favorite Fukamushi-Sencha.

Origin: Yame, Fukuoka
Harvest: First Flush 2009
Species: Yutakamidori

Tasting Profile:
A robust chestnut-like flavor and vibrant green color. Mild but full-bodied.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 3oz @ 160F
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 level teaspoon
Steep: 45 sec
2nd Cup: Water @ 180F; Steep 15 sec

About Den's Tea View company

Smelling this tea, it smells just like everything I love in a green tea: sweet vegetal spinachy goodness.

I set my stopwatch, and waited 45 seconds for it to steep. I let the leave float free, planning to strain it through a basket, but right before it was time to strain, I knocked the basket on the floor, and had to rush to go clean it, of course causing it to over steep.

The liquor smelled delicious and mouthwateringly vegetal. Unfortunately, sipping it was a bitter astringent mess. This cup went down the drain, and when I resteeped, I made sure to pull the leaves out at exactly 15 seconds. This cup was much smoother, sweeter, and more vegetal, but also mellow.

I had enough leaves yet, so I tried again, pulling the fresh leaves after 30 seconds just in case. Much better than the last first cup. I got all the vegetal spinach notes of the resteeping of the last cup, but a bit stronger and with a slight astringency. Definitely a good vegetal fresh green tea. Might need to restock this one.

The roast on this one is quite apparent, yet doesn’t interfere with the teas character all that much. Comes off as a rather mild and nice sencha with too little leaf. Increasing the leaf really makes this tea dominate, though. Pleasant enough.

This is my second steep, and it’s ok. I am really bummed that I screwed up the second steep. Yesterday I made a cup and left it to steep for about a minute or two… 30 minutes later, I gasped and realized that i was making tea… needless to say, I dumped that cup. This morning’s second steep is only so-so. This was the last of my sample, so now it’s either pay up (this stuff ain’t cheap), or settle for a slightly less decadent sencha. It’ll probably be the latter.

So much going on in this cup. More complex than I expected. One of my favorites.