Houji-Kukicha (Roasted Kukicha)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga
Boiling 1 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Den's Tea

Houji-Kukicha infuses into earthy-brown liquor. Houji-Kukicha is often served in traditional Japanese restaurant between or after meals to refresh your mouth.

Origin: Shizuoka
Harvest: Between First and Second Harvests
Species: Yabukita

Tasting Profile:
It offers an elegant roasted aroma and Umami taste from the stems. The taste is rather unique and will get your attention with the first sip.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 4oz boiled
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 heaping teaspoon
Steep: 30 sec
2nd Cup: Water boiled; Steep 15 sec

For a cup of Iced Tea: Put 50% more tea leaves into a teapot. Steep as directed for hot tea. Once you brew it, put ice into the cup to lock in the aroma.

About Den's Tea View company

I love this tea, and I love Den’s.

This is like sweet, roasted nuts. It is making my head and stomach feel better. It’s so comforting. And, completely obscenely well-priced.

Amariel

Sounds intriguing…love nutty teas!

Kay Kanada

Ooooh I want some!

Jessie

Give it a try! I think it’ll definitely be a winter stand-by for me.

juliebeth

you are so correct, sir. this is coziness in a cup!

Got my order from Den’s tea today! And now begins my neverending search for the brown-colored green tea my host mother in japan made every day.

I apparently have no sense of smell right now, so I smelled nothing after pretty much sticking my nose in the actual bag and taking a huge whiff. My roommate and her friend both described it as smelling “fishy” and like “fish food”… not really pleasant apparently. (I think they are too used to smelling my fruity teavana blend teas!)

The color is very very brown, almost like dirt. I looks very dark in the cup I’m using, along with the bad lighting in the room but it’s still fairly dark, especially for a green tea. It seems its cooled off a bit, Here goes. Hmmm…..

I’m not really tasting much of anything. Maybe it’s because it’s too hot, or possibly because i have no sense of smell right now. As it cools down I’m picking up more flavors but I’m not quite sure how to describe it. First thing that came to mind was metal in my mouth, I’m getting that weird tingling sensation your teeth get. Definitely not pleasant. The more I sip, the more this weird metal taste seems to be coming out. I hope that’s just from the packaging and not from the tea. It’s really awful.

I’ll hold off rating this one till I make it again when I don’t possibly have a sinus infection

Definitely one of my favorites. A nice toasty flavored tea on a comfortable evening… makes me want to have a fire on my back deck and sit outside indefinitely.

PS- I oversteep EVERYTHING practically. The package of this from Den’s says to steep 15 seconds or something like that. I usually steep it for a good several minutes. Gives it a more robust flavor (but not overpowering). It is a little bit too weak for my liking if only steeped for 15 seconds.

Another positive- since it’s mostly twigs, and it is roasted, this tea is very low in caffeine, making it a good evening option for me. I’m fairly caffeine sensitive, so I have to switch to tisanes or low caff options at night.

What time is it? HOUJI-KUKICHA TIMe!!!!