Sakura Sencha

Green Tea
Floral, Grass, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Dennis

• “LOVE this tea! Follow steeping instructions on can - yes JUST a 30 second immersion! Multiply your leaves per ounces you want to drink. Its a delicate tea and needs to be treated as such. I tried...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “I got this in a swap with *brandy3392* a while ago and had kind of forgotten about it, but I recently saw a post on the discussions about how awesome and springy this tea was. Today being an...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1915 tasting notes
  • “I tend to horde stuff if I know its exclusive. When I was looking for a tea to drink tonight I realized I had this one only a couple times. I mean, this one is seasonal, so I can probably get more...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1018 tasting notes
  • “This tea was sent to me by *Azzrian*. I have been waiting to try it when i would have time to use my gong fu set and do multiple steeps. Hopefully in the next day or two i will get to all the...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1798 tasting notes

From Den's Tea

While the Sakura (Cherry) blossom is appreciated for its beauty in Japan, the Sakura leaf has an unique flavor that is used to enhance the taste of some traditional dishes. Den’s Tea has added the flavor of Sakura to our premium Sencha. This is a rare blend and, similar to the Sakura blossom, it is available only for a limited time in early spring.
Sakura Sencha gift is also available…

Origin: Shizuoka
Harvest: First Flush 2009
Species: Yabukita

Tasting Profile:
Our blend of Sakura and Sencha is a harmony of the two flavors where one does not overpower the other. Highly fruity with a fascinating sweet flavor.

Den’s Preferred Brewing:
Water: 3oz @ 180F
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 rounded teaspoon
Steeping: 60 sec
2nd Cup: Water boiled; Steep 15 sec

About Den's Tea View company

I froze a package of this tea from the spring.
Because it is frozen in the bag – the aroma is not there.
I let it thaw out in the brewing vessel (kyusu) while the water boils.
Been steeping one rounded teaspoon in approx 3 oz of 180F water for 45 seconds on the first steep.
160F and 45 seconds for subsequent steepings (I manage to get four good steepings from the pot this way.

First cup has wonderful, delicate cherry aroma, and I agree with ~lauren, the flavor is sencha (balanced between sweet and bitter), with minimal umami tones, and a buttery finish.

The subsequent steepings are a sencha flavor, slightly less intense and just a trace of cherry aroma. The buttery quality in the finish diminishes with each steeping.

I love this tea.

The first time I tried it, I must have steeped it too long. I hated the flavor, and pushed it so far back that I forgot it was there. I brewed a cup this evening, and the taste cup was subtly sweet. I usually hate flavored green teas, but this subtle cherry flavor was a delight. I am glad that this tea was found!

Bought this with my Tencha-Kuki Houjicha. I felt like I almost had to, haha. In the spirit of spring! We may not have many cherry blossom trees in New Jersey, but somehow my spring experience is incomplete without sakura something. I always found it amusing, though, how Japan has so many sakura-flavored things in the spring. I’ve had sakura-flavored Kit Kats… probably sakura-flavored Pocky, too.

Anyway, back to the tea! The leaves smell really, really nice! A liiiiittle bit like candy, but really it’s more like a light sweetness. This is definitely not what one would consider “cherry flavor,” but then again, “sakura” doesn’t mean “cherry” in the fruit sense. It means “cherry blossom” or “cherry tree.” (“Sakuranbou” is the fruit.) Definitely still smells like sencha underneath, though!

The package says to use a higher temp for a more fruity flavor, and a lower temp for more of a sencha flavor, and I used a bit of a low temp, thus resulting in mostly a sencha flavor. There’s a tiiiny bit of sweetness on the end, though. It’s yummy, but I’m looking forward to trying it with a higher temp, too. :) I want to try to recreate the scent of the leaves.

I should mention, too, that as the tea cools, a bit more of the flavoring comes forward in the aftertaste. It’s like floraly sweet.

Another tea from KiwiDelight’s Japanese green sample extravaganza package. It’s a sencha tea with the teensiest cherry blossom buds in it. Cute! The smell is a bit odd… I don’t really smell the sencha, just a strange vinegar scent?

After the tea is brewed, it smells more like a sencha, albeit a mild one. It’s grassy and spinachy in a very light way. There’s a light floral note, and that weird vinegar odor is still there in the background. It tastes similar to the smell – mild grassy sencha with just a wisp of floral taste. I taste vinegar in the back of my mouth at the beginning of the sip – strange but not wholly unpleasant. I asked my boyfriend what he thought, and he said it reminded him of apple cider (what?! weirdo). It seems to me that the floral note is mostly in the aroma.

This was definitely a very delicate tea. I don’t think it lent itself very well to western style – either that or I should have used more leaf. Interesting, but I’m not in love. :P

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Sweet

Stephanie

The sakura is basically a salted cherry blossom…that could be the vinegar element you are describing. Did you steep at a low temperature? Just curious :)

Cameron B.

I did it at 180. Kiwi sent me a note with steeping recommendations. :)

KiwiDelight

I thought it would be best to send you Den’s instructions. Personally, I don’t like them because the sencha and sakura come out too bitter. Totally recommend a cold-brew of this.

Stephanie

I LOVE THIS COLD BREWED! And lightly sweetened ;)

An interesting take on a cherry blossom green tea. I was pleasantly surprised by the small blossoms and lack of attempt for fake cherry sweetness. It’s more floral than cherry, but not overly so. It’s never going to be a favorite of mine, but it was worth the purchase. Springy and a fun choice for the cherry blossom season. The cons, I find it slightly sour or bitter, even if I turn the temperature down on my tea kettle and it’s a bit weak on the fresh green tea flavor.

perfect friday afternoon drink – the lovely leaves have survived three infusions so far…dare i try for a fourth…?

I received a generous foil pouch from Den’s in their Green Tea Sampler, and have been able to steep it three different times. Admittedly, I am not a fan of cherry-flavored items, but the sakura in this tea was not artificial or overpowering. You can smell it in both the aroma and taste it as a subtle tartness that balances well with the grassy sencha. The first steep was prepared in 45 seconds, and the second at the recommended 15 seconds to avoid bitterness. A relaxing, but uplifting cuppa for spring mornings! Too bad Den’s is sold out of this variety for the year…

This is an okay tea. I don’t really think it’s great, but it’s not bad either. Since I don’t have much experience with Sencha, I don’t know if it’s that, or the cherry flavoring that is detracting from the tea. On the plus side, I had this a month ago, and it tastes much better now than it did. So there is something to be said for the fact that palates change. After all, four months ago, I couldn’t stand tea without massive amount of sweetener in it, and now I can’t stand the sweetener.

I usually don’t drink flavored tea but this one sparked my curiosity. It’s pretty good but I couldn’t see drinking this everyday. Tangy cherry flavor comes through mostly with the sencha flavor lying underneath. I think it has added flavorings other than the Sakura. I only steeped this twice as I got tired of the flavor fast. Definitely worth a try.