Butter Toffee Cream

Black Rooibos Blend
Apple, Honey, Maple Crystals, Organic Black Tea, Organic Coconut, Organic Red Rooibos, Sugar, Vanilla
Butter, Coconut, Rooibos, Brown Sugar, Cream, Honey, Maple Syrup, Medicinal, Vanilla
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “I requested this tea as a sample because “Tea with Jann”, a lovely Canadian tea vlogger, recommended it! She said it was one of her favourites from the Dessert by Deb collection. Unfortunately, I...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was very generously included as a sample in my order. Unfortunately, I really did not care for it. Very, very buttery. The rooibos and coconut are also extremely strong, which are not flavors...” Read full tasting note
  • “I think this was better when it was hot. It was still missing something in the first half of the sip before it transitioned to a nice finish, but the issue becomes more prominent when the cup has...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! I think the coconut and the honey are my biggest issues with this tea. When these two ingredients are at their strongest they dominate the blend. The latter in particular accentuates the...” Read full tasting note

From Dessert by Deb

Mmm, the warmth of toffee, caramel, and maple all rolled into one! This dessert blend was inspired by a truly Canadian treat: maple syrup snow candy and snow taffy! Many of us north of the border have memories of school field trips where we’d roll maple syrup on fresh snow on a stick for an unforgettable winter sweet. Butter Toffee Cream is your yummy sugar shack in a teacup.

Certified organic ingredients: Coconut, Fair Trade Rooibos, Black Tea, Vanilla, Honey, Bee Pollen, Canadian Maple, Brown Sugar, Apple

Handcrafted in Toronto, Canada.

Steeping instructions: 2 tea spoons at 212F for 4-6 mins

About Dessert by Deb View company

Unfortunately, I was not the biggest fan of this tea (despite wanting to like it!). Although this might come down to my personal preferences, since I normally dislike red rooibos. To me, this tea tasted buttery with hints of rooibos and coconut.

However, Deb is a wonderful person, and has some other fantastic blends that I adore. I think this one was just not for me.

Flavors: Butter, Coconut, Rooibos

Cameron B.

This concept sounds scrumptious, but the first ingredient is coconut… :\

Silent Kettle

Yes! The concept does sound scrumptious, but I think this tea would be better with a black tea base and a bit less coconut. But I am still grateful for the sample! :)

This was very generously included as a sample in my order. Unfortunately, I really did not care for it. Very, very buttery. The rooibos and coconut are also extremely strong, which are not flavors I generally enjoy. Luckily, my boyfriend really liked it. So, he got to enjoy a few cups of it.

I think this was better when it was hot. It was still missing something in the first half of the sip before it transitioned to a nice finish, but the issue becomes more prominent when the cup has cooled. Maybe it’s the rooibos that is distracting me. It definitely has come out more in the cooled cup. I was getting a buttery flavor with a hint of toffee, but it wasn’t as strong or bold of a presence as I would like. There is also a sweetness to it… stevia? Super glad to have had the chance to try this (thanks to VariaTea), but I don’t think this one is for me.

VariaTEA

Perhaps maple? She really likes adding maple crystals into her tea and sometimes it works and other times it very much doesn’t.

Dustin

Ah! Yeah, maybe! I might be able to get into it more if I think maple.

Sipdown!

I think the coconut and the honey are my biggest issues with this tea. When these two ingredients are at their strongest they dominate the blend. The latter in particular accentuates the rooibos in a way I do not enjoy and that makes me think of honey cough drops (also, why not just use the less medicinal, sweeter honeybush instead of rooibos + honey?). Bee pollen, which I generally like, also adds a sweet floral quality that exacerbates the medicinal quality for me today.

There are moments when this blend works. The aftertaste is creamy, with hints of vanilla, and the cup smells pleasantly buttery. It’s not a terrible latte or cold brew either! I’m just not terribly into coconut as a sub/filler ingredient at this point, and I’ve never been fond of rooibos/black tea blends (I don’t get it), or teas with added sweeteners. This blend has brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey and it’s quite sweet but also thinner than I’d like a “toffee” tea.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Coconut, Cream, Honey, Maple Syrup, Medicinal, Vanilla

Blech. This one might be coming back to you variaTEA. Just. Nope. I mean it was al ost drinkable but then I’d take a sip and be like WHAT is this? Yes there’s a bit of creaminess to it…and I can imagine butter toffe on some sips but overall it’s just rooibosy, coconut cream something,

VariaTEA

I don’t want more of this so it might have to be rehomed elsewhere. I only had this as a latte and it was ok but not my favorite.

Sipped on this one last night while watching Among Us videos on Youtube. It was a very oily cup, but the creamy coconut notes and undertone of buttered rum were a very welcome ending to the day! I wish it was a smidge less oily, and with a bit more body. Need to try to remember to have it as a latte at some point…

Silent Kettle

Ou! I’m so glad you enjoyed this one! To me, it tasted heavily of red rooibos, which is not one of my favourite flavours. How did you prepare this if you don’t mind me asking? Thank you!! :)

Roswell Strange

For hot black tea, I almost always steep with 200F water for four minutes – I’m afraid I can’t tell you the amount of leaf though, because I basically just eyeball everything.

Sipdown (272)

I always had this as an (iced) latte and its definitely better that way when compared to their plain cup. With that said, this was always sort of just ok for me. It’s got maple and coconut. The rooibos seems unnecessary and out of place. And without the latte prep method, it’s flat. I am ok with saying good bye to this one.