Dilmah Udawatte

Edit tea info Last updated by E Alexander Gerster

• “The liquor smells of crisp fruit and a touch of cocoa. I was expecting the first sip to leave my mouth horrifically dry but that’s not the case! It’s so smooth and ‘juicy'. There is an astringent...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 447 tasting notes
  • “This may very well be my favourite black tea I've ever had (most of what I drink are Japanese greens), shocking for an "off the shelf" tea. Every cup shocked me with it's quality, absolutely...” Read full tasting note
    VeniVidiVincent 2 tasting notes

From Dilmah

Medium brown with tints of orange. An almost savoury taste. Fruity, exotic perfume with a “balance” in taste from the ample tannins, strong but not brooding. A tea that is delicate, radiant and elegant.

High Grown 4600 feet above sea level An estate of 460 hectares, Somerset is in the famous Dimbula Valley on the Western slopes of Sri Lanka’s Tea Country. Tea was first planted here in the 1870s after the flourishing coffee industry was destroyed by a leaf blight.

About Dilmah View company

The liquor smells of crisp fruit and a touch of cocoa. I was expecting the first sip to leave my mouth horrifically dry but that’s not the case! It’s so smooth and ‘juicy’. There is an astringent boldness near the end but it’s not in the same league of the Wanja Orange Pekoe I’ve been drinking for the last week. There is more fruit than bitter rind to this cup although rind still pokes through. I think there is a sense of creaminess too.

All in all, it’s a lovely evening cup. I’m not sure if I want to try this with milk or not as it’s delicious on its own. I will add that this is more of a sipping tea than a gulping one. It becomes more nippy and less smooth in bigger mouthfuls.

This tea makes me want to snack on grapes, oranges, and dark chocolate forever. Thank you, ToiToi! I’m sorry I put off trying this sample for such a long time. It deserved better from me.

This may very well be my favourite black tea I’ve ever had (most of what I drink are Japanese greens), shocking for an “off the shelf” tea. Every cup shocked me with it’s quality, absolutely perfect accompaniment for a good read after dinner. I haven’t been able to find it since I moved back to Canada from Australia.