Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by K.A.
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 5 oz / 150 ml

• “Picked up a box at Big Lots for $2 today, thinking for the price, it could be terrible and I wouldn’t care. I just needed some Earl Grey to hold me over until my teas from...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 559 tasting notes
  • “A surprisingly tasty tea! It stands out from other everyday teas. The colour of the liquor surprises me too – it’s really dark. Fortunately, the tea is milder than its colour suggests....” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 326 tasting notes
  • “This tea is pretty common at coffee shops here in Warsaw, and I had a pot of it this afternoon. For a bagged tea, it was actually pretty tasty. I know for sure that this is a Ceylon base, since the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2185 tasting notes
  • “Very finely cut tea with some dust, with a very intense, almost rank odor of bergamot in the dry leaf. I used about 1measuring teaspoon to a pint of boiling water, and steeped for about three...” Read full tasting note
    ccarter756 110 tasting notes

From Dilmah

Medium strength, deep tone enhanced with a delicate bergamot fragrance especially developed for DILMAH. Mid Grown.

About Dilmah View company

Picked up a box at Big Lots for $2 today, thinking for the price, it could be terrible and I wouldn’t care. I just needed some Earl Grey to hold me over until my teas from KeenTeaThyme got here…

I put two bags in a mug to steep for iced tea, set the timer for four and a half minutes, and then my phone rang. I ended up forgetting all about my tea and spent about eight minutes on my balcony talking to a friend who had just broken up with his girlfriend. Oh dear.

When I returned, it smelled delicious but very strong, and a little on the sharp side. It was dark, but not as dark as I would have expected. I sweetened it, hit it with ice, and hoped for the best. It’s actually not bad! The bergamot is more lemony than what I’ve had recently, but it doesn’t taste like Pinesol, so I’m happy. The actual Ceylon aspect is a little milder than what I would have hoped, but it’s going to keep me satisfied for a while. If I were broke and in a pinch like this again, I might lean toward Tazo since they add lavender, but this will do.

Boiling 8 min or more

A surprisingly tasty tea! It stands out from other everyday teas. The colour of the liquor surprises me too – it’s really dark. Fortunately, the tea is milder than its colour suggests. I love, love, love the intense bergamot flavour, even though it is more lemony than I’ve expected. Seriously, I can’t understand those ppl who hate Earl Grey. It’s one of the greatest inventions in tea history!!

This tea is pretty common at coffee shops here in Warsaw, and I had a pot of it this afternoon. For a bagged tea, it was actually pretty tasty. I know for sure that this is a Ceylon base, since the company makes a big deal about how their tea is 100% single-origin Ceylon. The bergamot was strong enough to be the main event, but not overpowering, and overall the flavor was fairly well-balanced.

A nice basic tea, and a decent option when on the go, but once again I’m finding it lacking a certain depth of flavor, as with the bagged Twinings EG I had earlier, though I do think I prefer this one of the two, probably due to the origin differences of the black tea base.

Very finely cut tea with some dust, with a very intense, almost rank odor of bergamot in the dry leaf. I used about 1measuring teaspoon to a pint of boiling water, and steeped for about three minutes. This produced a ruddy dark brown tea, fairly clear, still with an intense bergamot scent and somewhat less intense bergamot flavor. Good breakfast tea, which is when I had it, together with toast, marmalade and a nice boiled egg. My husband tried it as well, and pronounced it “good.”

This was a Christmas present…sort of a stocking stuffer. I was expecting trash tea; I got a gold mine! I love Ceylon teas and this was advertised as a pure Ceylon based Earl Grey. The tea has a wonderful, sharp, acidic bite with a nice citrusy bergamot scent. For what is probably a bargin basement box of tea, I am much impressed.

I did not like this tea on my first cup but I think it was because I wasn’t used to the bergamot flavour. Once I got used to the flavour, I loved it. It’s fragrant and strong enough to keep me going through marathon study sessions. Although the flavour is strong, it isn’t bitter. However the tea may taste sharp if it’s steeped for too long.

This is another teabag tea from the discounted shelf at TJMaxx/Kmart/Homegoods. It makes a big point of being an earl grey with one hundred percent ceylon tea. A little bit dusty from the CTC tea but not so bad as other teabags I’ve had. The bergamot is light and not too overpowering. A decent way to start the morning.

My favorite all the time

1 tsp 5 OZ / 150 ML

Backlog. Wow! This is probably the strongest bergamot I’ve ever tasted. That’s not a bad thing, though, because it’s firmly on the side of citrus instead of perfume. The tea itself gets dark very fast, but after I added some lemon it was really pretty good. I ended up liking some other Dilmah teas (the strawberry and blackcurrant) better, so I didn’t revisit this one, but it’s a solid EG.

How i got it: Bought it (Dilmah’s Variety Pack)

Experience: Last tea of five in the pack (I reviewed the fourth tea in the pack, English Afternoon, some time ago. See http://steepster.com/ChrisSen/posts/255673). This Earl Grey is quite aromatic, with a bergamot scent that’s intense, natural and clear, and which doesn’t give much room for the tea to appear. Things are more balanced on the taste side, where the tea’s flavor tends to appear more to the end of the sip. The resulting taste is well defined and lasting, and leaves a little fizzy/muscatel sensation in the aftertaste. I’d say this tea is less balanced that Basilur’s Earl Grey, but compensates with greater body, character and richness. A good Earl Grey.

Would i buy it again?: Yes, few doubts about it.