Lan Gui Ren - Queen Orchid

Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea
Boiling

1 Tasting Note View all

From Dragon Tea House

This is an invigorating blend of Oolong tea and ginseng. Oolong teas are known for their orchid-like aroma and lingering sweet aftertaste. They’re also effective in alleviating or preventing indigestion. Research also suggests that they may help to lower cholesterol levels. Ginseng has long been renowned as a medicinal herb. It’s frequently used for enhancing physical and mental endurance, strengthening resistance to stress and fatigue, boosting the immune system and revitalizing cell activity. A lot of research has also focused on the properties of ginseng which seem to aid in preventing heat disease, because it helps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Ginseng may also stop the growth of some cancerous tumors.

This tea has the rich, crisp taste of oolong with a stronger, pleasing aftertaste. The aroma is fragrant and the hue is golden-brown. This tea is produced by tightly compressing the tea leaves into the shape of tiny tablets. The infusion yields an amber colored beverage with a mesmerizing orchid aroma. There’s a lingering combination of sweet/tartness in the aftertaste.

Rinse tea cup and teapot with hot water. Fill the teapot half-full with tea leaves. Steep tea leaves in hot water at 95°c (203°F) for 1 minute for the first and second brewing. Gradually increase steeping time for subsequent brewing.

About Dragon Tea House View company

1 Tasting Note

This is a brand new experience for me as I have never had the pleasure of drinking Lan Gui Ren before. I really don’t know what to expect at all but thought it would be fun to find out.

Upon opening this vacuum sealed package I pulled a face as I was asking myself “What the hell is this?”. The tea itself looks like my cats catnip biscuits. They are dark green, small and rolled into odd ball shapes. They really do look like a cross between a cat biscuit and some sort of health snack. These strange little tea pieces smell floral but also astringent and sharp. It’s an interesting smell, it must be the ginseng.

By look and smell I would never guess this was an Oolong. I’m brewing this gongfu style starting with 1 minute for first two steeps (as recommended) and by an additional minute each subsequent steep.

Steep 1 – 1 minute
The tea is yellow in colour with a roasted scent much associated with Oolong. Yum, it tastes like roasted rice cakes with spinach which sounds like an odd combination but it’s very nice. It has that slight sweetness and after taste similar to watermelon but not as fruity or fresh.

SIDE NOTE – Amazing sweet after taste that lingers in my mouth beautifully.

Steep 2 – 1 minute
A second steep has increased the toastedness but it seems to dissolve quickly until all you can taste is a floral sweetness that starts to taste like hard boiled sweets. My mind is completely blown by this tea … it’s amazing and I’m only two steeps in! Sweet rice cakey goodness.

Steep 3 – 2 minutes
Golden brown now in colour. The sweetness is blending in a little bit more now and it tastes more like your average sweet Oolong.

I think this is amazing. I love it. Finishing my review early because my Chinese food is here (beancurd in black bean sauce). Double yum!

Boiling