Shui Hsien

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Honey, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Mike Fowler

• “The dry leaves have a very woody smell. Not burnt, just a pleasant aroma reminiscent of oak. After steeping the leaves the slightly roasted flavor comes out in the tea, though not too much. The...” Read full tasting note
    mikefowler 1 tasting notes
  • “Even after the third or fourth steeping, this tea is still rich and creamy with buttery notes of roasted nuts, a nice amber paling slightly with each brew, the roast reminds me of huojicha but this...” Read full tasting note
    moonrabbit 5 tasting notes

From Dunhuang

A slightly roasted tasting Oolong from the Fujian province in southeast China.

About Dunhuang View company

The dry leaves have a very woody smell. Not burnt, just a pleasant aroma reminiscent of oak. After steeping the leaves the slightly roasted flavor comes out in the tea, though not too much. The aroma of the tea smells more roasted than the tea itself tastes. Infused color is a dark brown with a hint of amber.

I’ve done between 3 and 4 infusions per group of leaves. The first I tried was a 2 minute infusion and I found it to be too light, and the roasted flavors didn’t show too much. After that I did several infusions ranging between 4 and 5 minutes, and I was much more satisfied with the flavors. Not as strong of a taste of the roasted leaves as I hoped but still a very smooth texture with very subtle hints of sweetness.

Even after the third or fourth steeping, this tea is still rich and creamy with buttery notes of roasted nuts, a nice amber paling slightly with each brew, the roast reminds me of huojicha but this oolong is much soother than that green tea.

The leaves i received in my container were rolled lengthwise and for the most part whole and unbroken, though they did not fully unfurl until my third or fourth steeping. Very Good quality if you are looking for a medium to high oxidized, dark roasted oolong.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Mineral