Dong Ding Oolong

Oolong Tea
Brown Sugar, Butter, Butterscotch, Chestnut, Roast nuts, Roasted, Scotch, Sweet, Clove, Maple Syrup, Vanilla, Autumn Leaf Pile, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Nutty, Raisins, Toasted, Vegetal, Wood, Caramel, Cream, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

Flavor: Roasted chicory, chestnuts, nutty, smoky, dried fruit.

Garden: This batch of tea comes from Yong Long Village, just above Dong Ding Mountain. Yong Long is known for a rich red soil which differs from other locales in Lu Gu Township. The unique flavor of the Dong Ding Oolong produced here is attributed to this soil quality, along with the fact this region is home to the most concentrated population of the most skilled oolong tea artisans in Taiwan.

Harvest: Hand picked, small batch. May 2013.

Elevation: 750m

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

Backlog:

I am so impressed by Eco-Cha. Their packaging is gorgeous, and their teas are superb. This Dong Ding has a delicious “coffee” like flavor to it. Delicious, toasty, chestnut-y, sweet. I got quite a few infusions out of this one too … and each delivered a lovely flavor.

The first cup (infusions 1 and 2) gave me a hint of raisin-y sweetness that I really enjoyed, plus the aforementioned coffee and chestnut flavors.

The second cup was a stronger raisin note, which made this cup taste even sweeter than the first. Still nutty, toasty, smoky and warm tasting.

The third cup became a little softer in taste and texture but was still very flavorful.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/15/dong-ding-oolong-tea-eco-cha/

ms.aineecbeland

Dong-ding oolong and chestnut roasted on an open fire…; these reviews brings back the memory. I am suppose to be abstaining / withdrawals even.
Thank you for sharing, good review.

Reminds me of a lighter Laoshan black from Verdant. Since I mostly stay away from roastier oolongs, the coffee/malt flavors are a surprise to me. Still, it’s a smooth, comforting cup, and very satisfying. I’m a fan, even if I’m not exactly the target audience.

A late afternoon tea session that went into late evening.

Dry leaf aromatics like fresh baked bread and roasted coffee beans. The liquor, a beautiful golden yellow hue, was just simply smooth roasted dong ding goodness. Some roasted peanut notes with extremely subtle florals trying to peek through.

6.6g, 100ml Purion, 190F with a 30s first, 10s second and climbing in 5-10s intervals from there.

The dry leaf:

The session:

190 °F / 87 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

My uh oh was a beautiful mistake. I stored two cups worth of the Dong DIng in a very old bag of Golden Orchid. There were leftover vanilla beans that enhanced the natural profile. Still dry, figgy like tea, but the vanilla added a sweetness reminding me of coffee just splashed with cream. Or Thai-Iced tea. Either way, good.

Dong Ding Oolong from Fenghuang, Nantou is a medium oxidized and heavy roasted tea. Typically for Dong Ding, it is intensely sweet, like syrup, combined with roasted flavours. This one further gives hints of clove and a slight vanilla astringency. On the downside, it felt like not as many infusions were possible as I expected.

Flavors: Clove, Maple Syrup, Roasted, Sweet, Vanilla

First off, the aroma of the dry leaf is amazing. Roasty, nutty, caramel, and yes – roasted corn like the tasting notes on the website indicate. Wet leaf aroma adds a bit of smoke. As the leaves open I notice lots of stems (again, good? bad? don’t know). Decided to brew this gongfu, starting with 30 second steeps. The next time I need to remember to follow the brewing tips and use 6-8 grams of tea, or brew grandpa style because my first steep wasn’t that great (user error – not enough tea). Anyway, longer steeps (a minute) were better. The flavor is nutty, roasty, and sweet and the aftertaste lingers on the tongue. So different from the un-roasted/lightly roasted and more floral dong dings I’ve had. I’m looking forward to trying this grandpa style, I think this tea is probably more suited to that style, for me anyway. I love a dark, robust oolong and this is definitely one of those. It’ll be great in the cold winter months.

EDIT: Did try this grandpa style at work, and it was wonderful.

First Sip Thought: “Squash.”

Smell: Before I enjoyed the slightly roasty and floral aroma, I admired the leaves for quite some time. They are dark and tightly rolled which of course makes it more fun to watch steep.

Taste: You may remember when I wrote about Eco-Cha and their mission late last year. You can view that post here. This tea was hand picked in small batches September 2014 in Yong Long, Nantou, Taiwan (just above Dong Ding Mountain). Hand picked. When you drink this tea, stop and think about that for a moment. You’ll appreciate your cup a lot more. This oolong is not as strong as I was hoping but still offers great flavours. To explain my first sip thought, the initial few sips taste just like a plate full of freshly roasted vegetables. Eco-Cha narrows it down to a roasted summer squash as the predominant flavour and I have to agree. I also noticed a dry fruit flavour along with nutty characters. So I guess you can also say another thought that came to my mind during the first sip was “trail mix!” This tea has me very excited to give the rest of the oolongs I have from Eco-Cha a try.

www.theteacupoflife.com

I like oolong. I prefer more green oolongs, but this is a roasty oolong I can get behind.

It’s got just the right amount of roast to be nice and nutty. It still has floral notes and buttery notes and creamy notes.

I quite like this one.

TheTeaFairy

I loved this one!

Though roasted, this tea is still light. The aroma is of roasted corn, nuts, and leaves—perfect for the first crisp day of Autumn. Sipping on the tea after brewing, I get a strong taste of barley, but it isn’t strong enough to be off-putting. This would be great brewed as an iced tea with some honey, or brewed extra strong since the flavor was a bit watery for me.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Roasted Barley, Roasted nuts