Jin Xuan Oolong - Taiwan Tea #12

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Ricky

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

This batch of tea leaves come from the most active tea maker and merchant we know. This man enters virtually every Oolong Tea competition in Taiwan, including the largest and most prestigious Oolong Tea competition in the world. He consistently achieves high ratings in all of these competitions. In fact, when we picked up this batch, he brewed a sample of another batch of this same type of tea that won first prize in the Nantou County Jin Xuan Oolong competition of 2,400 entries. This is a region that is comprised of some the best tea makers in the world, and he placed first. He is a highly motivated, intelligent and progressive individual – making him an exemplary figure in his field.

Flavor: Nutty, buttery, savory winter vegetables, woody notes. Smooth Oolong fragrant finish.

Garden: This batch of tea was made by an artisan who won first prize in this year’s Nantou County Jin Xuan Oolong Tea Competition of 2,400 entries, and Nantou is home to the best oolong tea makers in the world. The tea he produces is, in a word, exemplary.

Harvest: Machine cut. Medium batch.

Elevation: 400m

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

Backlog:

This is quite possibly the best “milk oolong” type Oolong teas that I’ve ever tasted. It is amazing.

It is remarkably creamy and has a fresh, exhilarating flavor. Notes of cream, notes of fruit, honeyed flavors, and you know that milky, smooth consistency and flavor that those of us who love milk Oolongs … well that consistency and flavor is why we love milk Oolongs isn’t it? This tea … has got it in spades.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/06/jin-xuan-oolong-tea-from-eco-cha/

seule771

fresh milk and nothing else.

Good news everyone, my stomach seems to be on the mend so I am able to drink Oolong again! Still too sensitive for Black teas and it is hit or miss with Green, but Oolong tea and I are friends again. Auspicious for New Years Eve, also auspicious is that my mini Perler (ok, Hama, their English cousins) arrived. They are so tiny, about the size of a Seed Bead for those who are in the know. I am not looking forward to sorting them all, but using them in projects is very exciting. For now though, on to the tea!

Jin Xuan Oolong Tea by Eco-Cha Artisan Tea is an award winning Taiwanese Oolong tea (and one of my personal favorite Taiwanese Oolongs, fun fact) harvested in the Winter of 2013. Jin Xuan translates to Golden Daylily and is also known as Milk Oolong. The aroma of the leaves is very sweet and floral, the orchid notes are heady and intense. The sweet floral aroma fades to a vegetal, green bean note with an after aroma of fresh bread. The aroma is mouthwatering and pleasant, I found myself just inhaling the aroma long after my kettle was ready with its water.

Once I finally finished sniffing the loose leave and brewed the teas, the aroma of leaves is wonderfully floral and heady and very smooth. There is still the underlying vegetal notes as well. The liquid is smooth and floral with herbaceous notes of sage and slightly woody like bamboo.

The first steep is mild and sweet with subtle flavor notes. There are notes of sage and orchids with a sugarcane midtaste. The finish is creamy and mild and the floral notes linger. I feel as though this steep is just a hint of what is to come and is easing you into a more intense flavor. It is very enjoyable with its subtlety, especially after a break from tea.

The second steep’s leaves have a much headier aroma and very sweet, like fresh sugarcane juice and orchids. The liquid’s aroma is creamy and vegetal and quite tantalizing. The taste is creamy and sweet with much stronger vegetal tones and a sweet aftertaste. The mouthfeel starts buttery and fades to a dry mouthfeel, it is a very enjoyable transition. On to the third steeping!

The third and final steeping has a very heady aroma, not quite as strong as the second steeping but still quite intense. The liquid’s aroma is very sweet and less vegetal, the sweetness is more like honey. The taste is vegetal, mixing green beans and chestnuts with a slightly herbal midtaste. The aftertaste is sweet like sugarcane and the mouthfeel is dry and invigorating.

This tea does not disappoint! It is a wonderful example of how an Oolong grows with each steeping and takes you on a journey. I recommend steeping this tea when you want to relax and just focus on the tea experience or after a light meal. Also I had to show off the packaging, the tea itself is in a nice vacuum sealed container (which is always entertaining to open) but the box has lots of relevant info.

For Blog and Photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/eco-cha-artisan-tea-jin-xuan-oolong-tea.html

Interesting. It’s like they took the Mandala milk oolong and dialed it back a touch. Just a touch. It’s still terrifically tasty, but for now I continue to prefer the Mandala.

Oolong week (again) at Oolong Owl! Today – Jin Xuan, a milk oolong that is heavy on the buttery, orchid floral flavor. So much butter flavor in the early steepings, pleasing my diet killing cravings for butter. There is also a green bean vegetal note in this oolong. The 5th to 8th infusions were the best steepings as the balance of floral and vegetal was awesome, along with a clean and fresh flavor.

What is interesting is the cold steeping of Jin Xuan – the floral really tames down and is light. The cold steep tastes like milk and butter.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/jin-xuan-oolong-eco-cha-oolong-owl-tea-review/

The leaves in this oolong expand like crazy in the later steepings, trying to jail break out of my gaiwan.

Boiling 7 g

I had high hopes for “milk oolong” after reading about it but I was let down after trying a scented one. By chance I made an recent purchase of darker oxidized teas given the time of year but decided to throw this in for the hell of it.

WOW smelling taiwan teas just after opening the air tight bag is quickly becoming my favorite thing. This smelled just like I had imagined when I learned about “milk oolong” unfortunately I was conned and bought some of Mandala’s milk which was heavy scented/flavored/etc, that one is something I would expect at David’s tea or Teavana tisk tisk. This is whole other league it smells of creamed spinach with the smoothest of jade oolong amplified and the nice vegetal after taste of a quality unroasted TGY. Not to mention this is a winter harvest, and after the harsh winter we had, the spring crop must be ethereal.

Bottom line buy Eco Cha and if you can try their spring harvest you will thank me

Flavors: Butter, Cream

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
BigDaddy

I have had many trepidations in buying milk oolong online because of the flavorings slant. Good to know that Enoch a has real tea for sale. Adding to my wishlist now can’t wait, I love all things oolong especially green. Thank You for the review

Jiāng Luo

Honestly I did not do the tea justice, this was more of rant than a review if you look at some of the other reviews I think they better describe the flavor, but for my money my favorite green oolong and I have not even tried my da yu lings yet so I am excited.

Whoa!!! Now the word “buttery” gets thrown around a lot but this really is buttery and has a very creamy mouthfeel. There is a lovely, but not overpowering, floral note that accents as it finishes.
I used my glass teapot that has a huge brew basket so the leaves had lots of room to open up,,, because they really puff up from their original little rolled green balls with stems.
The scent of both the dry tea and the liquor is just heavenly, like lovely white citrus blossoms.
I brewed this at boiling and then a re-steep at boiling and I detected a bit of bitterness so I got fresh leaves and lowered the temperature to 200. This was a much better temperature and produced the same buttery notes with no bitterness.
Also the packaging of Eco-Cha is is both Earth-friendly and classy. It is very nice and comes with a very informative tasting note for each tea. This tea was made by an artisan who has won first prize in the Nantou Co Jin Xuan Tea Competition out of 2400 entries.
This is definitely delicious and I am honored to get to taste it!!!!

Flavors: Butter, Fruit Tree Flowers