Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

• “Oh my did I overindulge on Superbowl food. (I'm not going to talk about the actual superbowl because the reffing was so bad I want to tear my hair out poor 49ers) Usually I make burgers and...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “It is already great to be off from work until the new year, but having a new Christmas present tea to taste makes life even better! I was fascinated by the name of this tea. Being of direct...” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 152 tasting notes
  • “very very traditional tea with a nice twist. the good quality black tea is rich and warm with a slight chocolaty flavour thats nicely paired with the thistles. its slightly flowery but just and...” Read full tasting note
    teaThomas 9 tasting notes
  • “I received a few samples of this tea from a friend in Scotland. A nice refreshing tea with a ceylon flavour boosted by a floral/herbal after taste. Lovely for something a little different, it...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes

From Edinburgh Tea and Coffee Company

Thistle blossom has a slightly fruity taste.

Edinburgh Tea combined it with Dimbula Tea from Sri Lanka. Dimbula teas have a delicate and slightly tart taste. A small amount of tea from East Africa is used to round out the flavor. Edinburgh Thistle Tea has a sharp taste with a smooth finish.

Tea is best tried with lemon but can be consumed black or with milk.

About Edinburgh Tea and Coffee Company View company

Oh my did I overindulge on Superbowl food. (I’m not going to talk about the actual superbowl because the reffing was so bad I want to tear my hair out poor 49ers) Usually I make burgers and guacamole and halftime, and we have chips & dip in the first half. This year I decided to forgo the burgers and make bacon cheeseburger dip—I thought if I replaced regular dip with that and skipped the burgers, it’d be lighter. But the dip was so good, and I made so much… and then guacamole… and then cookies… urgh. So I needed something light to combat it—I’m really in the mood for some genmaicha or a nice sencha, but I’m at my parents’ house for the game so I only have what I brought with me.

I decided instead on something herbal, and lo and behold I have a bag of this from KittyLovesTea! Well, it’s not exactly 100% herbal, but there’s some thistle in it so it counts.

This is an interesting blend. At first sip (and sniff) it smells just like your average Indian black, ctc, nothing special. But the thistle adds a really nice herby dimension, almost floral and with a hint of pleasant bitterness. Not overstepped black bitterness, but more like… grapefruit rind bitterness. Refreshingly brisk, this is really doing the trick! Thanks fellow Kitty!

Terri HarpLady

hmmmm…I never thought about using thistle in a tea. I have thistles that grow in my yard…hmmm…

Alphakitty

Ooh, you should dry some and try a bit of blending! It’s a very unique flavor.

Claire

Lots of sad people in SF today (including me). Glad to see non-SFers thought the reffing was awful too!

Being of direct Scottish heritage (my mother was born and partially raised in Scotland), and having spent a month and a half in Scotland myself, I was intrigued by the inclusion of Scottish thistle in this tea. Heather, I could understand. After all, heather is a sweet and dainty little flower that grows on the Scottish hillsides. Thistle, on the other hand, has painful thorns. According to legend, the invention of the kilt was necessary to allow Scottish soldiers to be mobile when marching through fields covered with this prickly plant. So, thistle is not an ingredient that I would expect to find in my beverage.

When I opened the hinged tin and pierced the bag inside, I noticed that the short tea leaves were like coffee grounds. Also, many red and yellow thistle blossom pieces were mixed with the leaves. The aroma of the unbrewed leaves was standard African tea with something extra, although the smell was not flowery.

I brewed the leaves for five minutes at 212 degrees, the maximum recommended time and temperature. The color was a brownish gold. The brewed aroma was again standard tea with something else.

I hate to be repetitious, but the flavor of this tea also was…you guessed it…standard tea with something extra. The best way to explain it is that the sweet overtones and astringency that I’ve often noticed in flowery teas were present in this tea, but not to the extent where I could classify them. I can only identify the taste by calling it STANDARD AFRICAN TEA PLUS.

This is a pleasant tasting tea. It is not bitter. I liked drinking four cups of it. I just did not find the flavor easy to pinpoint. Maybe that doesn’t matter. Perhaps I should just shut up and enjoy it.

Bonnie

Sounds interesting! A Bonney cuppa Scots Tea! I was sent some Campbell’s Shortbread, we should’ve gotten together! I’m an active member of Clan Cameron, and you Stoo?

Stoo

Hi Bonnie! Campbell’s shortbread sounds great! My wife is Italian but she is a pastry chef that can make anything. She makes me Scottish Empire Biscuits for Christmas each year. They are just as good as the ones my Scottish grandmother used to make! The Scottish teas would definitely go hand-in-hand nicely with the shortbread! I’m a member of Clan Stewart (“Stoo” is a derivative of that name) and Clan Robertson. I hope you had a nice Christmas!

Bonnie

Yep! My Grandmother was a Stewart and my dad Johnstone. Lot’s of fun! The Highland Games in Estes Park (about 45 miles away) are grand at over 7,000 ft. and 14,000 ft. peaks surrounding, makes me feel like I’m in the Highlands of Scotland. http://www.scotfest.com

Stoo

You and I must be related then, Bonnie! The Stewarts must have gotten around more than George Washington. It seems that I run into Stewarts everywhere! I attend the local Scottish festivals in the Carolinas when I have a chance. They are always fun and it gives us our only chance around here to partake in Scottish cuisine like meat pies and steak & kidney pie. Although, my wife has made both for me and hers are great too! Your festival in Estes Park looks like it’s fantastic!

very very traditional tea with a nice twist. the good quality black tea is rich and warm with a slight chocolaty flavour thats nicely paired with the thistles. its slightly flowery but just and undertone bc the shining star is certainly the good quality tea leaves. its a strong brew with vanilla and chocolate tones that go well with afternoon cakes and desserts. Its also got enough caffeine to replace coffee and its always good to replace that bean juice with the worlds REAL favourite beverage…

I received a few samples of this tea from a friend in Scotland.

A nice refreshing tea with a ceylon flavour boosted by a floral/herbal after taste. Lovely for something a little different, it almost reminds me of a jasmine taste but without so much floral bitterness in flavour.

A lovely, flavorful tea with an exotic kick to it. Picked it up while on vacation in Edinburgh, and every sip is reminiscent of the lush, fecund, highlands.

tastes mostly like a standard black tea but its finish is more complex, a higher note, a bit sharp. perhaps fruity.

this tea is excellent as a mix to say Rooibush, 1 TBS Rooibush and 2 TBS Thistle Tea and about 24 oz boiling water, steep for about 3 minutes….